BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Good will assistance denied 15 days out of warranty for existing issue

5K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  E92-Lighting 
#1 ·
I needed an eccentric shaft sensor along with a valve cover gasket as they were leaking. This was a documented existing issue since October 2012 and I brought the car in for repair a week ago Monday. I didn't look at the in service date of the CPO warranty and it had expired 15 days earlier (12/15/12 due to time, not miles). I'm also 900 miles over the emissions warranty (which should have also covered this).

Total out of pocket cost is going to be $1,575. I've been working with BMW NA for over a week to try to get them to go dutch (50%) on the cost but they won't budge.

Funny because I've seen three other threads with the same repair and slightly more out of warranty than me. I always get my car serviced at BMW and have purchased 3 BMWs from BMW dealers.

Apparently I'm s*** outta luck. Anybody got any suggestions? :thumbdwn:

#2 ·
Question
Is the dealership going to bat for you or are you doing this direct with BMWNA?
I ask because the dealershup should be contacting BMWNA for you and they are also able to help you on goodwill themselves.
Time to talk to the service manager about being a good loyal BMW customer with 3 BMWs and having work done there plus previously noted existing issue.
Being polite but firm is a good tactic.

#4 · (Edited)
in reading your other thread, i can see why bmwna isnt goodwilling the repair-- the prior misdiagnosis was done at the chevy dealer the car was purchased at. you seem to have left out that detail in this thread.

it would probably have been a different story if you had brought it to a bmw dealer while it was under cpo warranty-- they have no way of knowing what was done, how it was diagnosed, etc, and if the issue was truly preexisting at this point in the game.

your beef should be with the chevy dealer that misdiagnosed the oil leak as a loose oil cap and sent you on your way (one could argue that they did that to run out their 30 day 1000 mile warranty)

bmw goodwill repairs are typically initiated by the servicing dealership, and they usually do it for customers that they have a preexisting relationship.

edit: and you also seem to have left out this tidbit:
UPDATE

I got the selling dealer to cover 50% of the cost and got the dealer down to $1,500. Still harassing BMW NA to see if they'll cover the other half.​

is posting a partial story part of the "harassment"

#5 ·
Either way, it was an existing issue. BMW NA knows everything, not hiding anything, they're working with the Chevy dealer directly. Like I said, I do have a pre existing relationship with this dealer, I've owned 3 BMWs and purchased 2 of them from this dealer. It's also my normal servicing dealer for oil changes as they're the same price as a quick lube. The Service Director went to bat for me on this to no avail. I paid the $784 today, drove it home and it started shuttering and RPMs racing. Retuned the car to the dealer, tech spent 30 minutes with it and had me leave it there. Thinks there's oil in a harness or he installed the sensor wrong.

#6 ·
i would get ready to take the chevy dealer to small claims court-- they sold you a car with an issue, "misdiagnosed" it till it was out of their warranty period. they should be covering it 100% since you brought it to their attention during their warranty period.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.