BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Zf 4 hp22

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  BMWFatherFigure 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, so i'm picking up the 86 325 next weekend but the tranny has a gigantic leak (main seal i think). the guy I'm buying it from said that he has a getrag 260 off a '91 but i was told that the later 260s dont have a CPS port that is necessary on the 86.

So then my next idea was just to take the transmission out, have a shop replace the seals and throw it back in and use it like that.

Now i'm thinking, I can probably find a good running usable transmission to just swap in and trash the leaky old one or trade it for pudding cup or something. A replacement would be much cheaper than having a shop replace seals and I could do it all same-day. (If any of you guys have one that'd be sweet t*tties)

I dont have the time or funds at the moment for the manual swap, but when I do the motor swap, i'll do the manual conversion then.

Now heres the question. Does any model year ZF4 HP22 transmission fit the car?
Or is it the same issue as the manual box on the 86. Will i need an 86 auto tranny?

My reasoning is that if the CPS is at the flywheel, both the autos and manuals will need that port, that wouldnt be found in later year transmissions.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Are you sure it doesn't have the holes in it or are you just planning ahead? First I would take a peek before any elaborate planning to circumvent or modify the electronics to have a front crank sensor and energizer instead. Another thing is the shifter mounts may or may not be correct if you get a really early g260. I think I remember FF having mentioned something about some 260's not having crank sensor and cam sensor holes.

So to recap any E30 eta manual should work post 86 and I bet the ones in the 528e e28's are the same too.

#3 ·
Ok.

1) im looking to simply replace the automatic with a non leaky one. does it have to be an 86? or would any one fit. I've heard about CPSs being at the flywheel so would i need to find one with the proper CPS port.

2) i'm not looking to modify or relocate the CPS in any way. I want a stock daily until I can do the motor swap.

I want to put the same exact trans in it thats in it now. Its an auto now with a main seal leak. Would any year work? or must it be an 86 auto? I appreciate the help!!

#6 ·
well ya, like I said if they come apart source another one and try to keep it from dumping out. I have heard you can stick the converters in a 5 gal bucket and get all the air out of it and it will work, but I have only reinstalled an auto tranny on E46's and e36's. On E30's we just 24V swap at the same time and get it ova wit. :D

So yes, if the tranny doesn't have a converter on it, walk away.

#7 ·
the main seals need replacing. It's pouring fluid out. Should i just remove the trans, bring it to a shop and have them fix the seals and reinstall torque converter and i'll just bolt it back up?

#9 ·
Just change the seal(s) and ask a trans shop about the torque converter installation (buy trans fluid from them to sweeten them up). You've done the hard work, grab the glory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.