BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Rear headrest removal tip

17K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  irvineva 
#1 ·
Ok guys, after trying to figure out how to remove them, the YouTube videos all were saying to remove the seats and this that and the other. I found a much quicker, cleaner way to get them out.

1- open trunk
2- Lay in trunk looking up
3- You will see the two headrest post bottoms for each headrest (except the middle).
4- Use a carpenter hammer and a 1/4" ratchet extention to tap them upward. (Be careful, don't drop the hammer on your face). Mine only took about two light taps per post. Came right out.

When I tried to pull them up from inside, nada. Good luck with that method. I cracked one of the speaker grilles doing this method. Figured I'd post this so I'd save some people the aggrivation.

#2 ·
Hi,

Came across this post since I am stumped on removing my headrests. I need to remove them to accommodate car seats. For a front-facing full-size seat, you have to extend the rear headrest to the maximum height to clear the seat. At the max height, this creates quite a visible blockage out the rear window.

I would like to try this method described above. Should I extend the head rests to their max height before trying to tap them out from the trunk?

#3 ·
Hi,

Came across this post since I am stumped on removing my headrests. I need to remove them to accommodate car seats. For a front-facing full-size seat, you have to extend the rear headrest to the maximum height to clear the seat. At the max height, this creates quite a visible blockage out the rear window.

I would like to try this method described above. Should I extend the head rests to their max height before trying to tap them out from the trunk?

#4 ·
Lift them to full height, slide a hand under them, and yank up. A good tug or whack and they pop right up. I've taken them off numerous E38 & E39 like that. No special tricks at all.

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp

#6 ·
This is the E39 section, if you're dealing with an F30 you need to ask there, the instructions may be the same or may be wildly different.

When you search the forums, use the box on the right of the search page to limit your search only to applicable subforums or the results you get will not be useful to you.

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.