BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

6K views 42 replies 11 participants last post by  Romanianbimmer 
#1 ·
I have a 2010 e90 335xi I need some parts. I wish to learn as much as possible.

Any help would be much appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Not sure I understand the question. You bought this car for parts? How can we help?

#4 ·
Ah, gotcha. So, how can we help?

#10 ·
I'm not sure yet. I kind of want to do as much as I can aside from painting. I think I can do everything but paint and radiator support. Doors I can take off and swap everything over. And hood and fender and headlight I can take off and mount. Hopefully it won't need to be pulled. Thanks guys!

#18 · (Edited)
When you work on the doors, don't reuse any of the trim panel fasteners and consider replacing the vapor barriers as well. Buy all new fasteners and the sealing washers that go with them. Saving a few bucks here will cause you no end of water leak headaches later.

That's a nice car; I hope you can resurrect it. I notice some scavengers already pinched the roundels and side marker lamps...nice. :( I see from the photos that it's an xDrive--is there any suspension damage in the front end? If the right front wheel took a hit--and I don't see how it could have avoided it--you will probably want (need) to replace the half-shaft/CV joints assembly at that corner. I would be worried about the front diff and maybe the transfer case too. None of those components are especially fond of being overstressed in unusual directions. You could just wait to see if any of it fails later, when your checkbook has recovered a bit. But at least inspect it all.

$8500 for the car, targeting another $6500 for repairs? I wish you luck with the project but I think that budget is going to be tight. Hood, fender (is the left one repairable?), front bumper cover & all grilles/trim parts, bumper structure and supports, airbag(s?), two doors, glass, radiator, A/C condenser, engine fan, intercooler, wheel arch, headlight assembly (NOT cheap)...and that's just the obvious stuff. Plus a little sheetmetal work at the right rear quarter panel, plus a unibody pull...and a couple hundred for a four-wheel alignment when you're done. I hope you've lined up a friend to do the paint & bodywork.

As floyd suggested, you need to PM rubberismoney on this board and talk to him. He brought a 335 back from the dead--in worse shape than yours IIRC--and if anyone here can help you source such a wide array of expensive parts without breaking the bank, it's him.

Good luck! :thumbup:

#12 ·
We can't get the parts for you, you're going to have to search the internet if you're out in East Puckerbrush, Arkansas. Start with LKQ, 1 800-439-3080. They might not be in your area but they can give you an idea of what's available.
The job you are thinking of doing requires a great deal of time, skill and experience. And money. You can bet it's going to need a pull. That's why it was totalled by the insurance company.
Just out of curiousity, what's your budget?

#13 ·
First order of business is to put plastic over the broken window(s), and protect your nice saddle brown leather interior, as well as the interior electronics. The doors are probably available used. I am guessing you will have to buy the hood and radiator support new (dealer).

If you are not already a member of the the BMW Car Club, you may want to join. It will get you a discount on the dealer-only items, and the monthly magazine Roundel always has a lot of technical ideas. Sorry for the shameless plug.

www.bmwcca.org

:drive:

#14 · (Edited)
I want to spend around 15000 on the whole car buying it and fixing. I am going to call Lkq. And they are a hour away from me so no big deal there. I am going to pick it up tomorrow and see if the window is broken. I did not see glass in the pictures. I and going to put a tarp over it. If there is no window. Hopefully it is not too bad. I have to drive down to Houston which is like 6 and a half hours away. Once it is on the truck I am going to try to start it and try to put up the window.

#17 · (Edited)
I'm sure you can call the salvage yard directly and negotiate. As you mentioned with your local salvage yards, there are far few E90 BMWs available than there are American and Japanese models.

#19 ·
OP, a budget of 15K is extremely tight and in my opinion not doable unless you own a body shop and don't add the labor into the cost.
Is the car a recovered theft? If so, can anyone vouch for the engine and transmission?
You need to do your homework before buying this wreck. It could end up costing you more than you are willing to invest. Take the 15K and buy yourself a nice older 328, or if you want some Zip, buy an E46 M which might need a little work. You'd have a clean title on a sharp BMW which will only go up in value.

#21 ·
Yeah, I don't think you can do it for $6500. Rough rule of thumb for body-shop work is $1k/panel. You've got 5 panels (hood, bumper, fender, two doors). But you've also got problems in the front end with radiators and stuff (mentioned by others) and there is no way to get used for those. And the airbag itself is probably $500.

As a couple have mentioned, the unibody is probably damaged and you will need an EXPERT shop. You may not be aware, but the front structure is two post-like affairs attached to either side of the structural firewall. Those structures are attached using a special jig and tools - you DO NOT have them, and shops that do charge a lot. Just fixing that is likely to be $2k-$3k by itself (my estimate from seeing other crash threads.)

#24 · (Edited)
Yeah, I don't think you can do it for $6500. Rough rule of thumb for body-shop work is $1k/panel. You've got 5 panels (hood, bumper, fender, two doors). But you've also got problems in the front end with radiators and stuff (mentioned by others) and there is no way to get used for those. And the airbag itself is probably $500.

As a couple have mentioned, the unibody is probably damaged and you will need an EXPERT shop. You may not be aware, but the front structure is two post-like affairs attached to either side of the structural firewall. Those structures are attached using a special jig and tools - you DO NOT have them, and shops that do charge a lot. Just fixing that is likely to be $2k-$3k by itself (my estimate from seeing other crash threads.)
My shop used do body work so I have all the tools to do the job. My uncle has a body shop and a friend of the family has one too. So if I need help. They will be the first to know. Are there any problems I should know about with the E90s?
Never underestimate what an Arkansan might have in his backyard! ....or front yard for that matter. :p

#27 · (Edited)
It's not that I am a Arkansan , as much as I am a Romanian.
That's quite a combination.

btw - one of the things I enjoy about Chicago is the diversity of the people. We have quite a large Romanian population and I have several Romanian neighbors. This is a walking city and I like that when you're standing on a street corner there's no telling what variety of languages you'll hear.

#30 ·
Having lived in NYC, this looks like the "normal" new car after three years in NYC...the exception being that your's is in Arkansas. Does it run with the minor sheet metal damage? (NYC standards).
Nothing can ever be perfect with our cars...minor paint blemishes, etc. Quit whining and enjoy the ride. The leather looks perfect. :thumbup:

#37 ·
You shouldn't need any BMW specific tools for what you plan on doing yourself. A nice set of 3/8" drive sockets with extensions, and the usual tool box items including Vise Grips should do it for you. Do you have Torx bits?
Once you have it disassembled you are going to have to figure out whether the unibody and subframes (like the big cradle holding the engine and transmission) are tweaked. That'll be the part we might have to help you with.

#40 ·
You need a computer designed to reset the codes. You can buy one from Snapon or Matco. Just give them a buzz and ask which they recommend - you don't need the most expensive one. Make sure to write down the codes before resetting them.

Goodluck with that restoration work - it will take you money and time, but in the end you should have a nice car :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.