BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

List Something You Discovered About Your Car AFTER You Bought It...

89K views 405 replies 156 participants last post by  dallz 
#1 ·
This should be both informative and fun. There's a great thread of this in the 5 forum.

I'll go first as I just learned something today...

1) I thought the microphone for voice commands was in the steering wheel and found out it's above the rearview mirror.

Also

2) I learned you can't use the backrest adjustment button unless the car door is open.

#33 ·
You're correct - I asked in another thread, and someone commented about it being above the mirror. that prompted me to look in the manual, which said above the mirror.

BUT then today I noticed in the Table of Contents (page 15 in the manual) there's a note saying "Convertible: microphone on the steering column"), so you, my friend, are 100% CORRECT!

#3 ·
I learned that I can plug in my Iphone or old Ipod and play music based on genre, artist or playlist. I always thought that the car would only play songs from playlists and not by artist or genre. I assumed that based on stuf that I read in the past online. I really love the fact that I have full control over my music on my Iphone or ipod. I also like that I can charge my phone without needing a charger.

#6 ·
Because of this forum I learned that even though my car is an 04 it still could be programmed to play MP3's and the Bluetooth could be turned on as well.:)

#7 ·
There is a med kit in the ski passthrough area.

LED flood lights on the side mirrors.

You can completely turn of stability and traction control :)

#8 ·
I learned that the cost to replace the cupholder is $115!

I also learned about the hotel function - and that it prevents the trunk from being opened along with the armrest storage compartment.

#10 ·
Just pull on it in an upward motion. It pops out.

#16 ·
Also that the car has a "***** magnet" as a standard option. I actually had one girl tell me she wanted to marry my car.

#256 ·
Tried this on my vert - we don't get that feature (was hoping the windows and roof would go down...) :mad:

I also learned that the rear of the car lowers a little when I put the car in drive. I never noticed it until I was looking in my rear view
Just tried this yesterday and, sure enough... it DOES.

#23 ·
I have cold weather and my CPO dealer told me it was an option... can anybody verify it's standard on the 07 with cold weather...?

for vert owners, is there a way to drop the top without being in the car?

thanks

#25 ·
After buying my first BMW, a buddy of mine showed me the little emergency flashlight in the glove box. Learning that you could hold the idrive puck in a direction to jump to that screen.

#28 ·
I discover that the 6 series is crap in the snow. I told it to go round a corner & it didn't - it went in the ditch. I even used the voice command and everything
:rofl: Maybe your idrive is in french?

#30 ·
Here is a dumb one...when I got the car home (didn't have the manual in the car, got it later) I couldn't figure out how to turn the car off. I found out:

1. Comfort access start is a quick tap on the Start button.
2. Tried to shut the car off the same way, brief touch of Start/Stop button, car shuts off but stupid stereo still runs - car is in RADIO MODE
3. Forum board was kind enough to instruct me that you press and HOLD that button to completely shut everything down. Also found out that second tap of button turns it off.

#32 ·
I discovered that the heated steering wheel is an essential option.

#35 · (Edited)
I realized how thrilled I was with the manual and that my wife can't drive it :thumbup:

Also, with voice dial, you can say the entire number in one go. No, "and next?"

And, lane departure warning system is kinda cool...

#36 ·
Well I got curious today, there is a medical bag in the ski bag area and I took the cup holder out of the glove box and put it in the rear compartment area.
Thanks to all for the information.
Great thread!

#37 ·
i just learned i could open the top using the key fob...

by the way where do you exactly store the cup holder? I'm confused which rear storage area you're all referring to...

#39 ·
That I prefer the 6 with less performance than the M...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.