BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

On average how many GT's do you see

8K views 38 replies 13 participants last post by  Capobranco 
#1 ·
In your day to day travels/commute? I'll start by saying I may see 3 GT's each given week. That being said, there are now 4 F10's in my condo garage in the course of 3 months. They are all sapphire black on consecutive floors (2-4). Two 535i's on the second floor, one 535i, on the 3rd floor, and one 528I on the 4th floor. All with the sport package. IF they all parked next to each other (backed end to their parking spots) they would be confused as to which car belongs to who.

Outside of my condo community I see on average 5 to 6 F10's a day. The F10 appears that it may become (if not already) the sales champ for the class.

I am cool with seeing 3 or less GT's in a week :cool:

#2 ·
I see maybe one per week. I have seen a black GT lurking in my neighborhood, but I have never been able to get close to it - dude sees me and it is off to the races- triple digit speeds- maybe I’m getting old but I really don't look good in hand cuffs so I let the guy go. He seems to be enjoying his GT - from his acceleration; he must be driving a 550i GT.

As to rarity - :thumbup: - maybe I am a bit of a showboat but I enjoy the attention my
GT receives - real street presence. If I were looking for anonymity, I would be driving a F/10 550i.

#3 · (Edited)
i see maybe one per week. I have seen a black gt lurking in my neighborhood, but i have never been able to get close to it - dude sees me and it is off to the races- triple digit speeds- maybe i***8217;m getting old but i really don't look good in hand cuffs so i let the guy go. He seems to be enjoying his gt - from his acceleration; he must be driving a 550i gt.

As to rarity - :thumbup: - maybe i am a bit of a showboat but i enjoy the attention my
gt receives - real street presence. If i were looking for anonymity, i would be driving a f/10 550i.
< lmao!:D

#4 ·
I have not seen another GT in Colorado yet.
I saw a 535i GT in the Bay Area around Christmas.

That's it.

We get waved at, people pull up next to us on the Interstate and heads turn in the parking lot every time we go out. "What is that?" they seem to be saying.

#5 ·
LOL!I know what you're saying. Along with "Is that a new model?" I've never seen that before.........;)

#6 · (Edited)
Same here. We've seen one gray, one other black and one white so far and that's in three months of ownership if the two GT's here in the San Diego area. They do turn heads for sure. People ask what they are, whether they were sold in the US or we imported them (Of course we did..LOL) Fun to drive and fun to own. Update: On 4/8 saw another 535iGT in Silver. Getting a bit more frequent!

#7 ·
I didnt spot any this week. Another car that appears to be in heavy rotation is the boring Hyundai esque looking (previous generation Sonata) Mercedes E Class.

#9 ·
Odds are good this week. I saw a Space Gray GT on Sunday; an Alpine
White and an Imperial Blue GT's today. All where 535i GT's, 2 with sport 1 without.

#11 ·
I guess around 5 per month in Toronto... I saw 3 of them in one day last month though.

#12 ·
I had been looking for a while in Dallas and hadn't seen any. In the last week however, I've spotted two.

#14 ·
I have been averaging 1 or 2 a day in and around Miami/Ft. Lauderdale now:) Matter of fact I saw a lady taking delivery of a Alpine White 535 GT when I was taking delivery of my new MCSA. Pre delivery photos attached.

Attachments

#17 ·
I still am trying to catch the dude in my neighborhood who has a black - presumably 550i GT - saw him this AM - as usual - he sees me and he zooms off - triple diget speeds -just crazy - still have not caught him!

I continue to see the occasional GT - about 2 or 3 a month. Most people regard my GT as a
BMW exotic - I receive frequent compliments - nice :)

NICE MINI! - Congrats! :thumbup:

#16 ·
Thanks!

#19 ·
Fail

Best shot???? -- Don't you realize that when you repeat, repeat, and repeat the same punch line, you end up being the joke? :rolleyes:

Now please write AZTEK 100 times on the chalk board before you go outside for recess....

#20 · (Edited)
not to start a fight or anything, but IMHO the wagon does look better, especially the rear. To me the rear of the 5 GT seems very masculine --- not horrible, just not my cup of tea. to me the A7 rear looks sexier. BUT all that said, I don't buy a car based solely on what the rear looks like. the 5 GT has too many pros to ignore; a few cons are thus easy to forgive. Sitting inside, front or rear (especially the rear), you feel like you're sitting a 7 series. especially with the rear comfort seats --- can't wait to see what 2+2 seating looks like in real life!! (instead of a rear bench seat). more trunk space than a 5 series, more versatile to fit in those odd sized packages. (I haven't checked, but I bet with the seats down I could fit in my kid's power wheels -- something I've never even tried with the wife's 7.) and better gas mileage (with the 535x) than our old 7 --- makes perfect sense. We're still waiting for our GT -- Euro delivery this July. I love my convertible passionately -- so smooth, so sexy, so sporty. I have a feeling i will also love the GT -- for being so practical and useful and still a sporty BMW!!

#27 · (Edited)
I like that the GT has masculine features. Like the GT's "very distant" relative the Phantom it has Real Presence. I wouldn't consider the Phantom a pretty car, but you darn sure will not confuse it with anything else.

Looks aside when you find a more Luxurious, Functional, Performance oriented 5 door sedan (THAT IS NOT A CROSSOVER) let me know. I sat in the back of an Aston Martin Rapide (4 door hatch) and damn near needed the jaws of life to get out:eeps: With the GT you can have the same room, and 98.9% of the options of the Flagship BMW, with more utility - whats not to like. I really don't see how BMW could have made the GT as sleek as say an Audi A7 without compromising a great deal of the utility ergo passenger room. Remember this fact if nothing else; the only car in BMW's core lineup with more rear legroom is the LWB F02 7 Series. Also consider the fact that option for option your not getting a decontented 7 Series either.

So the naysayers, haters, however you want to categorize them..can scoff all they like. Just rest assured that you and YOUR passengers will be comfortable and relaxed during the ride, as well as when you arrive at your destination.:thumbup::thumbup:

#22 ·
We're seeing a few more now, saw a gray 550i GT at the dealer on Wednesday in for service while mine was also there for service. More X6's seem to be popping up as well, actually more X6's that GT's for some reason. Local dealer still has only one GT on his lot and it's a 2010 that has no nav so it sits and sits and sits..

#24 ·
I think the initial problem with GT's was that the dealers ordered cars with option packages that didn't appeal to the masses, especially with only RWD and 8 Cylinders being the sole drivetrain option - at first. Not to mention GT's are not cheap. It's more or less a niche vehicle. My introduction to the GT was at the Miami International Auto Show in November 2009- upon which I knew I would be ordering one. I placed an order for a GT without hesitation - minus any incentives/discounts. I knew in essence that I was getting a "5 door" 7 series at a discount. I took delivery on December 28th 2009.

Today I am still very satisfied. Apparently BMW has taken the GT concept to the next level - thus the plans to offer a next generation 3 Series GT variant.

In summary the GT is here to STAY;)

#25 ·
Very true. And, dealers accepted many "Auto Show" vehicles which plugged up their lots with high end GT's with features that tagged way over 70K. Thus a high end vehicle became over priced, especially when the typical BMW dealer refused to knock much off the sticker even on the pre-owned "demo" models because they were selling them as CPO's or such. One dealer in San Diego was so "kind" as to shave just 2K off a loaded 2010 535i GT "demo" when the 2011's were already available in numbers in Orange County. In fact, that's the reason I purchased the second new GT in Orange County, as the dealers here just don't want to cut a deal close enough to make it worthwhile.

Sometimes I think the dealers fail to understand the buyer holds the cash. I understand the "want factor" but that has to be balanced by understanding what has become dealer greed in many cases. They would rather a vehicle become "lot rot" and pay the flooring if they don't own it outright, watch it deteriorate for a year or more on the lot, than take a reasonable offer to move it. Knowing that you can deal elsewhere and then groan when you show up for service with the plate surround of a competing dealer. Then it's the "shoulda-would-coulda" story. Frankly, dealing with the Orange County dealer was a much better experience than any of the three purchasing experiences here in San Diego.

That is illustrated by a 2010 on a local lot without Navigation that has been sitting there for about 13 months, white with a beige interior. Still asking 57K. Only extra equipment is rear air as I recall. This car will sit forever and they will hold that price forever too.

#26 ·
My friend you speak the truth! I just laugh when some dealers treat their cars like like gold. You know the ones who park unsold cars in the middle of the show room and lock them. Hell you might as well put a velvet rope around the car too:rolleyes:

The car you describe sounds fairly base, if that dealer does not want to be flexible and wishes to keep a base 2010 GT as part of his floor plan for an extended period- hats off to him.:beerchug:

Advantage consumer: We have the ability to walk away. We can shop as much and as long as we like......to the point of even having a vehicle shipped from another state if need be. I for one will not hesitate to walk if the dealer experience is not right. 9 times out of 10 it starts with the sales experience. When I went to get my GT I knew more about the car than my sales associate. He however, informed me that he was new and hadn't had much of a chance to learn about the car. I appreciated his honesty, so guess what I educated him in the process. I ended up being his first delivery as well as the first GT sale for that dealership. My sales associate ended up selling more GT's than any of his peers for a while. I don't know if he still has the top GT sales for the dealership, but at least he was ahead of his colleagues.

I think the market has stabilized for GT's In that the there is no longer a surplus of GT's on dealer lots maybe a ratio of like 10 to 1 ( F10 vs. GT), if not larger. In many cases the V8's are by order only. Depending on the desired specs you'll likely end up having to order a 535 GT as well.

#32 ·
Just got back from a Danube Cruise from Budapest to Nuremburg Via Vienna. Lots of F07's all over, and even more in Prague. I hardly ever see them here in California.

In the parts of Europe I've visited last fall - also took a cruise on the Rhine from Amsterdam to Basel and saw lots of F07s there too. Hardly any 5 series Tourings, either E61 or F11. It looks like the Europeans' love affair with station wagons is dying out just like us in the good ol' US of A.

#33 ·
Similiar observations here, I saw quite a few (half a dozen in a week) F07's in the Munich area, but I have yet to see one other than on a dealer's lot or at an autoshow in the States. I would also say the F07's outnumbered the F01's in the Munich area. On the wagon side of things, I noticed the BMW 5 Series and MB E Class wagons weren't as popular as the plentiful Audi A6 Advants. Audi A4 Advants looked to outnumber their German siblings too. Audi seems to be the leader of the German wagon market, well at least by my informal observations.

#34 ·
Out here in Arizona I have seen one other GT. When I went shopping for one the two dealerships in PHX area had one on the lot between them, a Black Sapphire/Ivory 550GT at Chapman, loaded, and the Imperial Blue/Ivory 535GT on the truck headed for Chapman in Mesa, which the sales guy on PHX diverted and I bought last Friday. COuldn't be happier with having a "rare" car for the area.:thumbup:

#35 ·
Wow no GT's in Scottsdale? BTW: Love the Camelback area;) Imperial Blue is nice, I saw an Imperial Blue/Ivory GT today in Aventura FL.

#38 ·
I just got a 2010 GT, dealers demo. Sport and comfort package. It is fantastic replacement for my previous 2005 BWM 530i. If there was a perfect car for me, this is it, and I think the "general enthusiast public" takes few years to get used to the concept, understand the feature, value and benefits. Like E60's, the sales were doing so well for first few years because of the new look, but ended up being most selling 5 series of all time. I have considered Audi Q5, non-GT 535, X5 and X3. After test driving them all over and over (over period of 6 months), and finally deciding that X5d and X3 SUV feel was not for me, and 535 price tag/storage ratio compare to GT (sounds crazy, I know) it came down between Q5 and GT. Surprisingly, Audi Q5 drove more like a car and less like SUV, it was not easy decision as far as deciding what I like better. What won me over is how well BMW treated us since my wife got a 335 coupe few years ago, and that I was treated just the same with 530 which I did not buy new, did not buy from this dealer to include that they knew I bought the auctioned 530 after small fender bender and did all repairs myself. In fact, they admired that I learned enough to make repairs under garage conditions using OEM BMW parts I could scrounge around. During my last 70k service, they even got me a mechanic to talk to about a slow transmission leak I was developing and how to fix it if I wanted to do it myself. I didn't, but the fact that they respected all BMW customers resonates with me further engrains brand loyalty in to my blood. Heck, they they thought nothing of the trailer hitch I installed in order to mount my bike rack.
I am devoted cyclist, and the fact that I can fit my few thousand dollar road bike in full assembly in the back is great. The mileage 535 GT is great, it made more sense to continue on with GT instead of straight 5. Then there was the updated technology, the multi-contoured seats that really help alleviate back problems after longer drives, the interior space, the quality of all internal trim that fits so tight together and balanced blend of sport/luxury with in my opinion most practical car you can guy has sealed the deal. Then the look - car has so much character inside and out. Again, it is a fantastic car and I would recommend it to anyone...

#39 ·
I agree, the GT does indeed have character - serious road presence. :thumbup:

Congrats on your GT and welcome to the club!:beerchug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.