BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Cold Start Issues

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  528 
#1 ·
My 2005 530i will start here in No. Cal. when its over 50 degrees for the most part. when it sits overnight and temperature gets to mid 30's it wont start in the morning. After temperature warms up it starts. I was lead to believe by Elk Grove BMW my fuel pump was operating intermittenly, so i changed the fuel pump. Now the car wont start at all. Is there a chance that a dirty fuel filter could be the cause of this and the intermitten not starting when its cold?

#2 ·
Could be the Crankcase ventilation valve that is failing.
I have an E39 with the same M54 engine that was having problems with cold starts, sometimes it would need 2 or 3 tries and when it worked i had rough idling but after it warmed up it was good for the whole day until next morning . . . the same thing happened every morning cold start. Replaced it and now cars works perfectly.

#3 · (Edited)
Do you mean the breather valve? Looking at pg 130-24in my bentley publisher service manual i see no crankcase ventilation valve. it states " The M54 engine crankcase is ventilated by breather valve under the intake manifold. if it leaks....yadi yadi yadi

Please all input is welcomed!

#4 · (Edited)
Yeah that one, it looks like this.

Keep in mind that when mine failed the car would still crank but failed to start, it took 2 or 3 tries cranking the engine before it started, after i changed it the engine starts immediately just like new. :thumbup:
Since yours doesn't crank it could be another issue.
I'm just telling you about this valve because based on your description i feel that this could've been the problem not the fuel pump but you said that after changing the fuel pump it does not even cranks . . . i'm not sure what it could be.

#6 ·
Just wondering how the issue was resolved here.
I'm having the same problem and the suggestion to change the crankcase/breather valve is the first actual solution I've come across on this common problem.

One thing to note about my car is that when it is extremely cold (<35F) it will not start unless I apply the accelerator. It seems to want some extra fuel to fire. It often starts with extremely rough idle but always levels off.

2008 528i.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.