BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

So, do we have Black Boxes?

8K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  VP 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I wouldn't be surprised, if many cars nowadays record some details for avoiding warranty blames. That way dealer have hard evidence about what truly happened bit before big bang. But I didn't hear much talks about such devices.

#3 ·
if im not mistaken over the years (meaning more recently) they have gotten much more advanced and they record a lot more about what is going on with the car at any given point. ours, on the other hand is not that advanced since the newest it can possibly be is 2006, but it still records a reasonable amount of data.

so long story short, yes, i believe we do have some sort of black box

#5 · (Edited)
Heck, the dealer can barely read the key info reliably..
Sure, that's another story if person can actually dig information out, but I wonder if some computer whiz working for BMW could find lots of information even in our cars which isn't officially there, and in newer cars for sure.

#7 ·
The only car that we own that has the standardized recorder info is .... the Corolla (that, fortunately, I rarely drive) and I don't think that car could go fast even downhill with a tailwind!

I know that Porsches log info very definitely including over-revs, but it seems it requires their own software to access. :)thumbup: Porsche!)

#8 ·
Yes, the black boxes are present....matter of fact, NHTSA uses them to diagnose post-crash results, and has found that in 48 out of 50 states, immediately before the fatal crash, the most often heard phrase is "OH SH!T !", while in Texas and Alabama, it`s "Hold my beer, I`m gonna TRY somethin` !"

#9 ·
That's why if a person were to be the cause of something bad, that person should consider having the car towed to their property, and not the body shop, to prevent "unauthorized" access to the data in "their" car, until the black box can be properly "examined" by the owner. With the "correct" tool. I believe it is called the BFH scanner.

#13 ·
Airbag module will store crash data.

#18 ·
I retired from being a technician in 1997 and I can tell you that even the lowly Chevrolet recorded crash data back then. Things recorded during an incident are throttle opening, rpm, speed, lateral accelleration (collected from the airbag system) and a host of other data. Now, if the insurance companies have access to the data is another story ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.