BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
296K views 144 replies 68 participants last post by  M-technik-3 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
BMW X3 FAQs And DIY compilation

I've been thinking of this for some time now and since we don't have a "one-stop thread" for DIY and general interesting facts and questions, I went ahead and started this little compilation of member's posts, please feel free to post your own or PM the link and I'll add it to the first post. Attached documents welcome!

Let's start with these:

FAQ's AND USEFUL LINKS

2005 X3 BROCHURE (PDF download, 2.1 MB) NEW!

Great article on maintenance

Sunroof reset procedure

Service Light Reset

SIB for Window Guide noise

Customer Assistance Program (aka GOODWILL)

OBD II codes

BMW codes

BMW especialized Indy shops

BMW wheels by style

DO-IT-YOURSELF THREADS AND LINKS

2004-2006 OIL CHANGE DIY

2004-2006 X3 Trailer Hitch install

Sound System Improvement Stage One

DIY for muffler rattle

Front Brakes job

Retrofit inside rearview mirror

OEM Navigation Retrofit

Disable X3 seat belt chime

Window Regulator Repair

Rear window drive dog repair and replacement by kenza (DOC download, 6.46 MB) See attached documents below for a PDF version, thanks Supercourse.

Front Door Panel Removal w/pics by VodkaG (PDF download, 2.6 MB)

Rear Door Panel Removal

Cupholder removal/replacement by minicrazy592

X3 ULF bluetooth retrofit (part 1)
X3 ULF bluetooth retrofit (part 2)

DICE installation instructions NEW!

PARTS

RealOEM

CROWN BMW

TISCHER BMW

BIMMERWORLD

FACTORY ACCESSORIES

OWNER'S MANUALS NEW!

2005 X3 MANUAL (PDF download 4.8 MB)

MISCELANEOUS DOCUMENTS

edit

Attachments

See less See more
#64 ·
Replacing Rear Shocks Part 2: Shock Removal and Installation

Here's part two of the process of replacing the rear shocks. This one is not as thorough picture wise (I was in a hurry to put it back together!) but the parts not pictured should be relatively straight forward.

If anyone has the tightening torques for the various nuts and bolts of this DIY please let me know what they are so I can include them. I just winged it but I'd feel more comfortable doing it if I knew what to torque everything to.

As I've said before, I am not a mechanic nor an expert please follow these procedures at your own risk. If you have any feedback I'd love to hear it.

File is attached below and you can also reach it with this link: Rear Shock Removal Part 2

Thanks.

Attachments

#65 ·
Hey snowfro, thanks for the writeup man! My rear shocks (and/or) rear shock mounts seem to be giving hints that they could use some TLC.

What replacement shocks did you install? Bilstein heavy duties or BMW OEMs?

Also, are you considering replacing the front end struts at some point?
Anyone replaced their oxygen sensors due to engine stuttering under heavy acceleration?

Let me know.
Thanks in advance!!

#66 ·
Whoa whoa whoa... What? I've been trying to figure out that stupid stuttering for years, I just thought I had put too much wear on my transmission or something. You're thinking it could be a bad o2 sensor? If your problem is the same that I'm having and the o2 sensor fixes it, well I'll be damned. Thanks.

I put Sachs shocks on there. Here's what I bought from ******************.com:

Parts Ordered
Shock Absorber and Strut Assembly Sachs Shock Absorber and Strut Assembly X3|2.5i Sachs
Price: $ 135.95 Qty: 2.00 Part #: W0133-1805976

Shock and Strut Mount Lemfoerder Shock and Strut Mount X3|2.5i Lemfoerder
Price: $ 24.95 Qty: 2.00 Part #: W0133-1806541

These were for the sports package suspension, not sure if they'd be the same for you.

I had my front ones replaced at a shop, kind of wish I had done it myself. BUT it was totally worth it! I did it at around 99k.

So back to the stuttering... I feel it most when I'm in a middle gear, maybe 3rd, going up over an underpass on the freeway, and is worse when someone is riding in the car with me. Is this similar to what you're experiencing?

#67 · (Edited)
Shocks:
Don't have the sports package. Was considering (eventually) switching out all shocks / struts for the bilstein Heavy Duties.
I've done some e30 suspension work, so I'm not too too intimidated by this. Just wish it were still summer, that's all.

Acceleration stuttering:
Yes, you and I have the same symptoms... heavy acceleration with other people in the car, can be somewhat unnerving / annoying, due to the stupid stuttering.
It's slightly noticable when I'm in the car by myself, but very noticable with others in the car and/or acceleratng up hill.
When towing 4000 lbs of trailer behind me (the reason for new shocks) I never really paid attention, but I don't think it was as noticable.
And there surely was no difference in the car's behavior after towing.

Digging on the internet seems to point to bad 02 sensors on the X3.

TBH, I haven't actually changed any of them yet, but it's on my list of things to keep an eye on. Also, they're not cheap.
But, put a different way... my old e30 used to have a lot of noise coming from the rear end... and nothing short of installing a newly rebuilt posi-diff solved that issue.
So I wouldn't be surprised.

Have you gone after any of the "low hanging fruit" like changing spark plugs, the fuel pump/filter, or tranny fluid?
I haven't changed any of these things cause I'm not seeing the types of symptoms that would push me in these directions.

What have you tried, to attempt solving this problem?

#68 ·
Tranny fluid is next, something I should have done ages ago but one time an indy shop told me I had a lifetime fluid and recommended against changing it. Now my transmission is getting notchy and I recently realized that I should have changed it a while ago, so I will be doing that this weekend.

I will see what happens after I change the tranny and diff fluids this weekend and if that doesn't solve it I'll get the 02 sensor. Actually, changing my front control arms helped a little bit so I attributed it to loose suspension components, but it happened again this weekend so now I know that wasn't the total fix.

I'll post a DIY on the sensor once I change it.

I hear the Bilstein HDs are awesome, and solid price point. Just a little stiffer...

#70 ·
Just the front control arms. There are two, so far I've only replaced the one they call a wishbone which has the ball joint integrated into the arm. Next I'll replace the ones that are further forward with a separate ball joint. I'll probably not touch the anti sway bar bushings but the links I think are relatively cheap so I'll probably replace those as well.

In the rear I simply replaced the shocks and the mounts. There are a few other bushings back there but I think they're fine. I assume I'll be able to tell if they're worn after I replace everything else.

#71 ·
Glovebox removal T.I.S.

Don't think we have this anywhere, so for those needing access to the space behind the glovebox,
I have attached the TIS for removing the whole glovebox.
(Applies to M54 engine models, N52 instructions may be different.)

(I have seen other instructions, maybe for other BMW models, telling you to remove 4 screws underneath.
That is the mechanism for allowing the glovebox door to swing open and you don't want to mess with that needlessly.)

For removing the whole glovebox intact, there are 7 cross-head screws to remove.
3 on the underside of the top, 2 facing you on either side, one behind the holding strap and the other behind the plastic device on the other side.
The last 2 are facing you further in, more towards the middle, in the shiny black plastic.
You should be able to just detect the 7 holes in the first attached photo by the daylight coming through them.

I found that it is not necessary to take the light out as instructed.
You can just disconnect at the connector once the box is released.

There is a big white plastic electrical box behind the glovebox, divided into several compartments (2nd. photo).
In my case, only 1 was in use for some sort of relay or module. An X3 with more options may have more things in there.
I managed to stuff a blue Parrot BT module in one of the bigger empty slots, and crammed excess wire runs in other compartments (2nd. attached photo.)

Attachments

#75 ·
Just for the folks mentioning the stutter. I have replaced both precat oxygen sensors spark plugs and did countless other items and that stutter was always there. I just recently had the dealer reprogram my dme and the stuttering is 100% gone now. Feels like a different car.

#77 ·
#78 ·
Refresh Yellowing Side Markers DIY

This is just a quick one. I have to be honest, I did not search if something like it was already out there it's so quick!

Took me literally 3 minutes per side. Basically, tape off around your lights to avoid scratching the paint, apply product as directed, wipe clean, and voila! Nearly new looking side markers.

This was done on a 2007 X3 with about 52k miles.

I used this Blue Magic Headlight Lens Restorer with a microfiber cloth:

Driver's side before:

Driver's side after:

Passenger side before:

Passenger side after:

#81 ·
Thanks for posting the pdf with the pictures. I'm stuck on Step 5. Can't get the old driving dog off. I see where a lip fits through the hole in the window and where the dog grips the rail. just can't get it off.
Seems it can be difficult getting the old one out and the new one in.

A light spray of lubricant might be the answer, especially for the new one.

Some ideas here, such as a helper to wiggle the glass, or having glass in best position:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5603889&postcount=19

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6654830&postcount=38

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6861585&postcount=47

#82 ·
Thank you for taking the time to respond! I went to the dealership and they popped the old one out and put the new one in for me. Now all I have to do is button it all up. The dealership parts dept gave me the driving dog for $30 on Friday. So a little frustration, but saved a bunch of money. I told them to blame it on those Bimmerfest guys for making it look so easy! lol

#92 ·
could anyone tell me how to properly level the transmission when you do the drain-refill? i have to raise the rear of the car more in order for the botton of the transmission to be level to the ground. just making sure i did this right.