BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Repairing Run-Flat Tires

121K views 76 replies 45 participants last post by  Guam135i 
#1 ·
OK, I'm sure this has been covering and I'm annoying some of you, but I'm not as regular on here as I should be AND I DID do a search and didn't come up with a whole lot...

So, how many of you have "bent the BMW rules" a bit and REPAIRED/patched your Run-Flat tires and what were the results? I have a nail in the center of my tread and the tire still has MANY MANY miles of life left.

After repairing it, did the iDrive/FTM function properly or did things go crazy and give you false alarms all the time?

Please let me know!

thanks!

#2 ·
I spoke to the guys at Tires Plus (a local tire repair/other auto repair chain here in Florida)....asked them if run-flat tires are repairable/patchable and he told me they were, and they do them. However, it does reduce the tire rating (as does all patched tires). Just make sure the place you take it to has "run-flat certification" which, apparently, not all places have.

The only question I didn't get answered convincingly, though, was if you should drive the run flat and then repair it----rather than pumping it up/changing it before having it repaired (not driving on it)....anyone have insight on this?

G

#3 ·
I spoke my nearby Good Year Tire center and they will repair them. However, I also spoke with Tire Rack and their "official" stand is that they SHOULD NOT BE REPAIRED. If they can be repaired, due to the original damage and then driving on them with the damage the crown of the tire is permanently damaged and after repairing the tire, your next flat will most likely be a catastrophic blow out.
I'm leaving now to see what my Good Year guys tell me after they see it.
I'll report back.

#10 ·
The trouble with RFT's is that the sidewalls may be damaged by driving several miles with a "flat" tire, hence that recommendation to not repair it.
However if it's just a nail and the tire did not leak, then a simple repair should be possible.

#12 ·
One of the most frustraing things about this car...... I have a flat as we speak on my rear RFT.... But it happened the day I put the 22" rims on for the summer. ANYONE recommend anyplace in Northen NJ or NYC that can fix a RFT....

thanks again

#13 ·
Well, it's been about 2-1/2 weeks and I'm still doing fine. Goodyear was awesome. I didn't even have to re-set the tire pressure through iDrive. Either they did it for me, or it never came up. Who knows, either way, I'm really happy.
The tire doesn't feel any different at all and when I got the car back, I couldn't even tell where the repair was done, but I had marked the spot with chalk on the sidewall so I know I was looking in the right spot.

So far so good!

#14 ·
After reading this post, I picked up my car today and bought the road hazard rim and tire warranty. The dealer told me if I get a flat even if the tire looks worn out, they will give me a brand new tire for free, same for dented rim. I have the sport package wheels so I spent the $600 for the 3 year warranty. Anyone know if what he told is true or BS ?

#39 ·
Definitely +1 on the wheel and tyre insurance. Check your policy though. For tyres, there is usually a stated minimum tread depth that must be present to qualify for replacement.

#18 · (Edited)
I got a screw in my tire car had 4100 miles, took it to the dealer they said they would repair it then came back and replaced it with new tire cost $565 but I had the tire/rim policy didn't cost me a dime.....except for the cost of the policy it was well worth it and still have 2 more years on the policy.

#19 ·
I just had my Bridgestone RFT repaired at a Good Year certified run flat facility. It cost $55. I landed there after the Bridgestone facility and BMW dealership said the tire must be replaced, even without having inspected it. In this case, it was a screw in the tread, a slow leak, and tire pressure that never fell below 30 PSI. Lots and lots of tread left--only 4,000 miles on the tire.

Interestingly, I found this from Bridgestone's FAQs about RFTs in response to whether it could be repaired if punctured.

"It depends on how far and at what speed the car was driven after the puncture was sustained. Repair is possible only if deemed so by the tire sales store.
Preconditions include a puncture of less than 6mm for both side-reinforced type and support-ring type Run-Flat tires, plus minimal damage to the support ring in case of the latter.

"However, it is strongly recommended that the tire is replaced as its durability will have been weakened after being repaired."

#24 ·
I just had my Bridgestone RFT repaired at a Good Year certified run flat facility. It cost $55. I landed there after the Bridgestone facility and BMW dealership said the tire must be replaced, even without having inspected it. In this case, it was a screw in the tread, a slow leak, and tire pressure that never fell below 30 PSI. Lots and lots of tread left--only 4,000 miles on the tire.

Interestingly, I found this from Bridgestone's FAQs about RFTs in response to whether it could be repaired if punctured.

"It depends on how far and at what speed the car was driven after the puncture was sustained. Repair is possible only if deemed so by the tire sales store.
Preconditions include a puncture of less than 6mm for both side-reinforced type and support-ring type Run-Flat tires, plus minimal damage to the support ring in case of the latter.

"However, it is strongly recommended that the tire is replaced as its durability will have been weakened after being repaired."
This is cool. I found this on the website as well. I dont know why my local Town Fair Tire store said that Bridgestone has a bulletin out asking NEVER to repair any RFTs. Weird, guess the guy just lied...:dunno:

#22 ·
Discount tire fixed my rear run-flat tire in 10 minutes--No charge. It was flat in the garage with a small bolt in the middle of the tire. I re-inflated the tire and drove it to Discount tire with a very slow leak. They did however find a bulge on my front tire and suggested replacing it ASAP. They quoted $333.33 out the door. I elected to order 4 Continental Extreme Contact DWS. They are non-run-flats, but I have AAA.

#26 ·
KAFTKTA - how are those Continentals treating you? My dealer actually told me that putting non-runflats on the 650i would be a warranty issue for the suspension, and that it would make the car feel like a Cadillac CTS! I thought that was an amazingly wrong thing to say.

I really want to go to non-runflats, as the people who have switched have great stories to tell. But I want to know more from a 650i driver that has gone with non runflats.

#23 ·
Run-flats are more prone to getting punctures than normal tyres, why technically not sure, but save to say it is true even though denied by the manufacturers, especially Bridgestone. You only have to listen to all of the forums where cars with runflats often in the top five issues. When you consider the vested interest at $350 ++ per tyre, why wouldn't they? having said this I did have a major puncture on a motorway with my family on board and just drove through it safely, where a normal tyre would have blown out !! so the question becomes what price safety and convenience ??

#28 ·
This RFT stuff seems primitive the more I hear about it. I want a high performance tire, that if punctured/pressure lost deploys an airbag-like technology that re-pressurizes the tire... We should not even have to pull over. What year is it.

#29 · (Edited)
Look at what others are saying about runflats...

Look at the user comments on this forum regarding runflats:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20090727/CARNEWS/907279993

Here are some of the comments, and there are dozens of these:

shooter wrote:
I had two sets--645 and 650 BMW. Lousy ride--noisy- can't fix a flat--few shops will work on them --- zip traction on slick stuff--not supposed to drive in below freezing temperatures--poor wear -expensive, those were Bridgestones. Just replaced them on the 650 with the new Continental all season NON RUN FLAT. I will never own another run flat--much improved ride--faster response--much , much quieteer and I seem to be getting better gas mileage.
7/27/2009 8:25 PM EDT
Recommend (4)

RDMcG wrote:
They are horrible things. Had them OEM on a BMW 645ci and they had an awful ride, plus the problem of having to be replaced even for a simple nail through the tire. I replaced them with conventional tires and it was like getting a new car. I would never, ever, fit them again.

#30 ·
Two quick stories re: run-flats. My 05 530i with sport pack and RF's developed tire problem manafested by TPS warning--no visible sign of problem, but as we were heading out on 300 mile trip two days hence, I took it to the dealer. They assured me all was well. 150 miles into trip, you guessed it, another TPS warning on the interstate in the rain. Again, no sign of a problem. I elected to drive on to the destination BMW place. They told me 'while the tire made it, it was ruined from the 150 mile drive!' I bought two new tires at about $500 per and was on my way. Back at my home dealership, I politely suggested that they let me down in the tire department. I was pleasant, they were pleasant, and I left with two more new tires--no charge. I still like them.

Second story. I bought a new 750LI last year--more run flats. Did I mention I don't like RF's. I got a slow leak--screw in the middle of the tread. After being told I'd have to replace the tire, and doing some research right here, (the tire had never gone flat) I spent over $2 and plugged the hole with my tractor plugging kit!! Was good then--and is still good. My bro-in-law later confided to me that he had plugged his 2010 Vette tires three times. We're just country boys tryin' to get along...

#31 ·
I had an issue with multiple tire places saying they couldn't repair my pirelli RFT on my 1 series when the puncture was just a tiny screw in the centre of the tread with next to zero low pressure driving- so i just bought an $8 plug kit from super cheap autos ( a local aussie auto parts mart ) and have driven another 5000 with no problems at all. I can't wait to ditch these RFT's for regulars on my next change - I hate the ride.

#33 ·
Anyone out there with a 650i or M6 that can tell me what the ride and handling difference is with 19" wheels and non-runflats? I am considering the Hankooks or Continentals.
I replaced my OEM RFTs at about 5k miles with Michelin Pilot Sport Plus All Seasons, and I also bought a mobility kit that I keep in the trunk. I wasn't a fan of the RFTs but I wouldn't say I hated them either. They have their purpose. I wanted All Seasons mainly because I have no interest in finding out how the RFTs perform in icy or snowy conditions (BMW actually asked me to sign a waiver of damage or warranty claims resulting from driving with RFTs in certain weather conditions). No regrets so far, though I do miss the stiffer walls in aggressive driving.

OEM RFTs vs Michelins

Pros: Great all around tire and handles well in wet and light snow (maybe even moderate/heavy snow though I've never tried it). Ride is much smoother and quieter compared to the RFTs.

Cons: A bit mushy in aggressive cornering, especially compared to the stiffer RFTs. Loss of 1-2 mpg, likely due to more intricate tread pattern and higher rolling resistance compared to the RFTs.

#35 ·
I just got off the phone with Michelin. About 3 weeks ago I installed a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP tires on my Son's BMW 335i. I bought them from Tire Rack, but today being Sunday, they are closed. Anyway, back to Michelin. They told me that the RFTs are repairable but have to be repaired at a PAX Certified Dealer. They could not locate a dealer in his immediate area that was open today but told me of one that will be open tomorrow.
I have a feeling that this is because of the Federal guidelines about repairing radial tires. It is ILLEGAL for any repair facility to plug a radial tire. It is now federal guidelines that a radial tire must be removed and patched from the inside. This came about because of Yahoos at tire repair places plunging the tire with a tool and reaming it out and then installing the plug. When the hole is reamed out it is very possible that you may hit a belt or cord and do damage to it.
I don't car what kind of tire it is, I would never have a tire plugged from the outside because it truly will do damage to the tire. If you go to a repair facility that wants to plug the tire from the outside, tell them you will pass, and go to a place the will patch it from the inside.
I have been in the automotive repair business for many years and I have seen what a plug from the outside will do.

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.