BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Car Won't start immediately anymore

11K views 43 replies 15 participants last post by  jwrape 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently had an old fuel line go seriously bad so i replaced both hoses. Since that time my car will not start as soon as i turn the key. If i let the car sit overnight it may take 10-15 seconds (earlier today it took 1 minute) before the engine will catch and start. If the car has just been driven it seems to start in 3-5 seconds, sometimes immediately. I never had an issue cranking this car no matter how many days/weeks/months it sat between uses. A guy at advanced autoparts checked my battery and alternator. Both gave off like new readings. The advanced auto guy suggested that it may be the fuel pump not sending fuel to my engine. Once the car is turned on there are zero issues. At all speeds I feel my car take off when I give it a little or a lot of gas.

Can anyone suggest something I should trouble shoot for an issue like this?

#34 ·
Yea, i just pulled the computer out. It's a 98 E36 M3 Computer. It's labelled from the junk yard when it was swapped by a BMW motorsports place in Braselton, GA

I spoke to the owner who had it converted but he didn't know anything

#37 ·
Recent newbie to 325 ownership. Warm weather starts fine , as soon as turned cold would take lots of cranking to start. Fuse # 10 7.5 amp was open. This circuit has many sensors and relays in it but the car would start eventually and run. Check all fuses for opens and remove and install all relays in fuse box and any electrical connector in engine bay. Good luck.

#44 ·
Ok, I took apart my main relay last night. WOW! what a rusted mess.
I cleaned it up with Denatured Alcohol and a tooth brush and then sanded the contact on it.
Works perfectly until I can order a new relay to replae it Definately the issue all along:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.