BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2013 Nav Map Update

31K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  Curttp 
#1 ·
Looks like 2013 NAV Map update is out. I have a 2011 528 with 2010 Maps installed Build date 10/10.

Has anyone made this update yet? I herd there is a major software update that just came out and changes how the menus look... Do i need a software update before i install the 2013 maps? Or can i install the Updates?

Thanks

Part number: 01 99 0 039 349

#2 ·
The map is just the map. It will not change the iDrive to the newer setup.

#5 · (Edited)
Yeap the 2013 DVD's are About $10.00 (Ten Dollars) from the dealer...

BUT the activation code is about $200.00 and takes about 2+ hours to install the 3 DVD's as they load into the hard drive... so they will charge for those 2 hours.. and check back on your car every 45 min lol

i think i can put the dvd's in myself lol

#7 · (Edited)
i'll find out soon... NAV and routing kinda sucks with BMW anyway... to get to my place of work, NAV literally has me drive 3 miles in opposite direction right when i get close to work, tells me to make a right when it's about a mile to the left. and i tried every type of route.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181003850094?item=181003850094&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

this is the listing i saw that got me the part number..... is this compatible with 2011 528? build date 10/10 ?

#8 · (Edited)
Can anyone confirm that the part number 01 99 0 039 349 is the correct Nav maps for new body style 2011 5 series?

also the part should be under $10.00 (its the activation code thats $200) a local dealership said there is NO way this is the NAV dvd update ... but i think it is... can someone else check ?

I just ordered it for $10.04 we'll see tomorrow or the next day :) worth the risk... i'll just order one less drink next time i'm out.

thanks!

Attachments

#17 ·
Can anyone confirm that the part number 01 99 0 039 349 is the correct Nav maps for new body style 2011 5 series?

also the part should be under $10.00 (its the activation code thats $200) a local dealership said there is NO way this is the NAV dvd update ... but i think it is... can someone else check ?

I just ordered it for $10.04 we'll see tomorrow or the next day :) worth the risk... i'll just order one less drink next time i'm out.

thanks!
Any luck? Can you confirm part # 01 99 0 039 349 works with the current generation i-drive NAV systems (along with FSC code, obviously)?

#11 ·
meaning Next gen NOT for our f10's? and for something newer?

I've called 2 parts departments and they where in shock when they saw that the dvd's were only $9.00. I had to explain it's the FSC Serial number thats the expensive part. Needless to say one parts guy told me after i asked him when are the 2013 maps gonna be out... he said... uhhhhhhh in 2013! lol another guy said should be in the next week or 2.

So who knows... i'll just order these and see what happens... if not i'll wait a few more weeks.

Gosh my NAV REALLY REALLY sucks... it can't find anything in hoboken and routs me all over the place to destinations that have been here almost 75 years lol

#12 ·
I updated my 2011 535 last year with the 2012 maps for about $100. You can save yourself some money if you are willing to do a bit of research and do the update yourself. You can get the North American 2013 Maps from BMW, or from an online BMW parts dealer, for less than $20 if the 2013 DVDs are actually out now. The thing is, the 2011 NA Map BMW part number was the same as the the 2012 NA Map BMW part number (01990037287), so you need to make sure it is the right year before you order it. Last year, you could get the FSC code from a 3rd party for anywhere from $50 to $200.

There is a really good thread on doing this at: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540474 The actual update takes a few hours and you have to load the 3 DVDs sequentially. Of course the navigation doesn't work while you are doing it. The bad thing is the car has to be turned on to load the dvds, but the good thing is that the loading software starts up where it left off if you turn the car off. Last year it took me 4 commutes before all three dvds loaded, but it worked great after it was all loaded. I immediately noticed that where there were some new housing developments in my area and the streets did not exist on my 2011 maps, the streets appeared once I loaded the 2012 maps.

#13 · (Edited)
Jeff thanks for the info.. Me and you are on the same page with our "googling" ;) just didn't want to be to blunt about it lol

In digging around the CD there is def 3D-Views in there so this may be for the upcoming/new nav system.. I think we may need a complete software update in order to get this to work properly. Either way worth the $9.10 for the DVD's lol i'll order one less drink next time out

I guess i'll just wait for proper maps for this car should be out in a few weeks.

;--------------------------------------------------------------------------
;
; Databasename: Road Map NORTH AMERICA Next 2013
;
; Version: 112113.2.121
;
;--------------------------------------------------------------------------

#14 ·
Will cars that haven't yet reached VPC get this update?

#15 ·
Based on the cost and frequency of needing to update the maps into the car, how many of you would buy the technology package (ZTP) again? I know there is the issue of resale value with the car but it seems the car navigation system will become outdated faster than just getting a new smartphone that has navigation, traffic, and driving directions built in (Android and iOS) and has free updates. You can even cache an area on the phone ahead of time if you know there will be no signal. What would be nice is to have DLNA in the car OS to allow the phone to project its version of maps onto the display.

Just asking because I'm trying to justify the addition of ZTP to my potential build.

#16 ·
just sucks that the NAV in this car kinda sucks... and the routing is very very bad sometimes.

And in a year from getting a new bodystyle... there are major changes to the NAV... And i'm pretty sure they said we would need to update the firmware/software to our cars in order to get the newer interface.

#20 ·
I think we only updated our navigation system once in our E60. Prior to that, I don't think I ever updated my nav system in my 04' MB. I don't think there are that many new roads/streets in the city we live in. LA is already running out of real estate.

#21 ·
Actually I work with quite a few GIS people, and while there may not be as many new roads, there are constant updates to roads, address, etc in their databases. There will always be new maps to correct errors in the correlation of GPS location and the underlying data that ties it to a map.

It is very detailed (and BORING) work.

#22 ·
Anybody know if the CIC 2013 Premium North America disks have been rleased yet? I don't want to go to the trouble of ordering them just to end up with the 2012's (which I already have).

TIA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.