BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

M3 Vs 911 Carerra S

3K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  SergioK 
#1 ·
undefined

Currently driving a 2003 M3. Thinking about replacing it with a 2005 911 Carerra S. Any thoughts?

#6 ·
SergioK said:
LOL, not sure you'll have to ask Stuka why it's so magical. :angel:
It's magical because it allows no-talent hacks to pretend that they're "shifting for themselves", and allows poseurs to buy a pretend sports car and call themselves enthusiasts.

Stuka is on his hunnymoon so I'm answering for him. The views expressed here are from Stuka, although I tend to share the same sentiment.

#9 ·
cj323 said:
undefined

Currently driving a 2003 M3. Thinking about replacing it with a 2005 911 Carerra S. Any thoughts?
Those are pretty different cars. Id love the opportunity to own either but price not withstanding Id drive the Porkchop.

If price or space were at all an issue Id be happy as a clam to drive the M.

#11 ·
Bruce said:
Hey Hack...send me an email. Need to ask you something.
:dunno:

What's your email address?

#12 ·
The HACK said:
It's magical because it allows no-talent hacks to pretend that they're "shifting for themselves", and allows poseurs to buy a pretend sports car and call themselves enthusiasts.

Stuka is on his hunnymoon so I'm answering for him. The views expressed here are from Stuka, although I tend to share the same sentiment.
I don't recall the poster indicating that he was getting the tiptronic. The 911 comes std with a Six-speed manual transmission with dual-mass flywheel and hydraulic clutch. Isn't that a "real man's" transmission?

#14 ·
tagheuer said:
I don't recall the poster indicating that he was getting the tiptronic. The 911 comes std with a Six-speed manual transmission with dual-mass flywheel and hydraulic clutch. Isn't that a "real man's" transmission?
I'm not responding to the OP and couldn't really careless about Porsches in general. I was responding to SergioK question as to why Stuka refers to tippy tronics as "magic."

I'll be sure to point this thread out to Stuka once he comes back from baking under the sun on his hunnymoon.

#15 ·
tagheuer said:
That's why I asked if he was getting the slushbox on the P-car. I'd take an M3 (stick or SMG) any day of the week over a slushie Stuttgartmobile. :D

#16 ·
I had and E46 M3 , but traded up to a 911 (not an S). I thought the Porsche had a superior gear ratio, which was easier to drive around town with less shifting. I thought it had more low end torque, and I definitely like the feel of the stock stick on the Porsche compared to the M3's stock stick.

Needless to say, today (just arrived) I am back into an M3. I have two small kids and unless you have two cars it is hard to beat the all around performance, but usable back seat of the M3.

Hope that helps.

#19 ·
M3 vs 911S

cj323, it all depends upon what you want out of your car and your specific needs, we don't have enough information to help other than to give broad generalizations. The M3 is a well balanced yet still practical day to day car. A new 911S is also nice, but not as practical in terms of space, plus the rear engine/weight bias can potentially get you into trouble on the road. I looked at the new 911S, but wound up getting a GT3, but that's a whole different beast from a 911S (but that difference is what I wanted).

#20 ·
cj323 said:
undefined

If you are only thinking about replacing it, that's good, but not gonna happen.

If you have decided to replace it, also good, have fun with it.

:p

#22 ·
cchan said:
cj323, it all depends upon what you want out of your car and your specific needs, we don't have enough information to help other than to give broad generalizations. The M3 is a well balanced yet still practical day to day car. A new 911S is also nice, but not as practical in terms of space, plus the rear engine/weight bias can potentially get you into trouble on the road. I looked at the new 911S, but wound up getting a GT3, but that's a whole different beast from a 911S (but that difference is what I wanted).
I love GT3's, they are gorgeous.

As for choosing between a 911s and an M3.... I'd personaly go for the Porsche. If you aren't concerned about practicality, I think you'd have a blast with a 911, as well as stand out a bit more (if that concerns you at all)

If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, check this out.... Porche Turbo RUF I sure wouldnt mind driving that one....

#23 ·
Qship said:
In a heartbeat P-car.
The only 911's worth getting are now not available any more. The new versions of them might or might not come with real engines (and no, the M97 wet sump junk is not a real P car engine, it's a bored out Boxster engine that they sitck in a 95K "sports car"), and will most certainly come with a mandatory stupid hole in the roof because the poseurs far outwieghts the drivers in good ole USA that PCNA won't even bother submitting sunroof less 997 shells for FMVSS testing. Of course, I would love to be proven wrong for the new GT2, GT3, and the Turbo, but as it stands, you cannot order a 997 without sunroof. You cannot order a "sports car" from a "sports car company" without sunroof. :confused:

The rest are wet sump POS blue smoke oil leaking non track worthy poseur mobiles that shares more with the crap Boxster engine than the GT1 race car. :bustingup

I certainly will not take a 997 over an M3. Badge unworthy ripoff's, at least the M3's don't come with tippy magic tronic for the uncoordinated poseurs. Tippy magic tronic, what a fancy name for a performance sucking pile of dung. PAG did it the right way, stick it to the poseurs by sourcing a stupid slushbox with very little engineering on their part, unlike the Motorsport that did their own programming and designing/adapting of the Getrag 6 into the SMGII that works better than the F1 system in the 360.

M64 pwnz all. :bigpimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.