BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW Oil & Castrol Oil (5W30)

14K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  ard 
#1 ·
I am planning to change the oil myself, I normally use Mobil 1 0W40, but my mechanic told me try not to use 0W40 because it is too thin, I live in Wisconsin. He suggests me to use BMW Oil 5W30, but I don't see anyone selling BMW Oil except the dealer, does anyone know any Auto Part selling BMW oil on line.

Then a friend of mine also suggests me to use Castrol 5W30, are they the same?

Please advice.

Pet

#4 ·
Lots of places offer specific BMW oil - Bavarian Autosport is one.

What model is your car? You've posted in the M5 forum. M5s take 10x60.

#5 ·
I don't think your mechanic understands engine oil viscosity ratings; a 0W40 oil will be thicker than a 5W30 oil at operating temperatures, and thinner in cold-weather conditions (which you might want in Wisconsin).

Bottom line, though, is to use the recommended grade of oil found in the Owner's Manual for your vehicle. Here's BMW's list of approved motor oils; note that the 'M' vehicles, as "Edgy36-39" points out, take a different oil grade (10W60 is the recommended grade).

#7 ·
Don't go by the 5W30 and 0W40 numbers..look up the SPECIFIC viscosity at 40C and 100C from the mfg's specs. People will be surprised...

All newer Ms take BMW high performance 5W30...which IN FACT has a 100C viscosity that looks close to a "40 weight/..But people that use 'any old 5w30' because that is in the manual are under lubricating.

The older Ms (2000 -ish) required TWS 10W60 (not any 10W60 but that BMW oil)...latter cars can run 5w30 OR 10W60

Personally I like Mobile 1 5W50...hard to get.

M5board.com...but just READ, DO NOT post a new oil thread!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.