BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How long does the Original tires last on 2011 BMW 335d?

10K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  ///M-Furby 
#1 ·
I have a 2011 335d Sports Package with RFT. Coming up on 35K miles. I am still on the original tires. I was told the tires will last only 25K miles. I do 90 miles daily, almost 90% freeway. It looks like I have some more tread left. I hope to pull another 10K miles from it. Did some comparison on the prices for new tires. Costco's price is $915 for all four tires 2 Front ( Bridgestone® POTENZA RE050 225/40R18) @ $244.74 each and 2 Rear (BFGoodrich® g-Force™ Sport 255/35R18 ) @ $212.74 each. I am thinking of changing the tires now and have these 4 as "Spares" in case I have a flat. What do you guys think?
Also does Costco's policy of fixing the flats hold for RFT? I asked the Costco Tire Shop in Livermore, I was told they would replace flat tires ;) , but did not elaborate. Any experiences with Costco and RFT?

Regards
Krish Mohan

#2 ·
That is a pretty good mileage. Do a search as others have reported varying stories with Costco. Regardless of where you choose to buy from, do NOT delay replacing the tires if you have =< 6mm of thread left. You may end up regretting it.

#7 ·
Yes, but BMW NA recommends replacement at 3mm...and it is a wise recommendation for "hydroplaning" resistance.

#5 ·
I have a 2011 335d Sports Package with RFT. Coming up on 35K miles. I am still on the original tires. I was told the tires will last only 25K miles. I do 90 miles daily, almost 90% freeway. It looks like I have some more tread left. I hope to pull another 10K miles from it. Did some comparison on the prices for new tires. Costco's price is $915 for all four tires 2 Front ( Bridgestone® POTENZA RE050 225/40R18) @ $244.74 each and 2 Rear (BFGoodrich® g-Force™ Sport 255/35R18 ) @ $212.74 each. I am thinking of changing the tires now and have these 4 as "Spares" in case I have a flat. What do you guys think?
Also does Costco's policy of fixing the flats hold for RFT? I asked the Costco Tire Shop in Livermore, I was told they would replace flat tires ;) , but did not elaborate. Any experiences with Costco and RFT?
I hope you're not thinking of mixing tire brands - not a good plan.
A better plan is going for the newer all-season high performance RE960 RFTs.

#8 ·
By all means, DON'T MIX tire brands on the front and rear axles!

#10 ·
I just bought a CPO 2011 335d, with 34,400 miles and new tires. When I asked about the tires, the old owner (employed at the BMW dealer) said that the tires were about at the bar to need replacing, and that the dealer replaced the tires so that it could sold CPO. So 35,000 sounds right to me. Anything more, and we can praise God!

#11 · (Edited)
My rears got to about 35-40 (tough to say b/c I use winters in the colder months. Fronts had some life left on them, but were replaced anyway. The wheels also needed to be replaced as they were...stock :D

I'm not a big Costco tire fan because the consistency in their install just isn't there. If you do choose to buy here, make sure to inspect and note everything with a mechanic before a after install. In my four past Costco trips (before I gave up on them), I had them pay for refinishing of seven wheels, removal of stripped locking lugs and replacement thereof, replacement of lost metal valve-stem covers. The shop advisor paid for it all with no questions asked because he knew I was right. Very good service on his side; I didn't even have to ask, I just told him what they messed up this time and he said, I'm sorry about that, if you could get me a bill/estimate on the repairs/replacement, I will have you reimbursed.. I just got tired of the hassle...very tired. Some of their shops do good work from what I hear, but--like stated--I see that as a consistency/training issue.

Btw, the damage was not even with RFTs.

Only advice: Buy good tires & you won't regret it! This is not one of those areas on which you want to skrimp. You probably bout your car because f the unbelievable mix of efficiency, luxury, handling, and power. Tires can easily eliminate one or all of these with traction issues, noise, mpg loss, etc. know your priorities and buy accordingly.

#12 ·
My rears got to about 35-40 (tough to say b/c I use winters in the colder months. Fronts had some life left on them, but were replaced anyway. The wheels also needed to be replaced as they were...stock :D

I'm not a big Costco tire fan
because the consistency in their install just isn't there. If you do choose to buy here, make sure to inspect and note everything with a mechanic before a after install.
Yeah, forget Costco....stick w/Tire Rack approved vendors.

Words to the wise: After Costco, wheels should be re-torqued and re-balanced as they really don't do what a BMW needs.

#14 ·
I really wanted to like Costco because the price was right but the last time I went there with my Benz 300 I had to go three times because they did not have the tires in stock despite saying they did. When they eventually did, the service manager was taking my order while talking on the phone. He nodded to indicate he understood that the spare (new tire) was on the rear driver's side door and should be moved to the trunk, only to pick up the car and find out that they had trashed it. Eejuts.

#17 · (Edited)
Check your allignment, amigo (or your trigger foot :D). I ran the 35 or so listed above on the Michelin PS2 and still have 4/32 on the rears

Btw, Krish, others may disagree, but I really didn't like the bridgestones on my last car. I ran g-force kdw2s for a while and they were very good on handling, but not really luxury car material. I'd consider michelin PSSs

#24 ·
Get the new tires now, and keep them for when you are ready to change.
Keeping the old tires as "spares" in case you get a non-repairable flat is a good idea. That way if you get a flat you can slap on the old tires until your new sets arrive in the mail. Or you order new sets of spares and keep them on hand (I do that).

@hampage - it's not normal for 8000 miles on tires. Something is wrong with the alignment (as cal said) or you have some funky driving habits (e.g., burn-outs)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.