BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Rear backup camera help - need advice

7K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  tamir15 
#1 ·
Hi all. I am considering purchasing this item from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380194355388

Normally I wouldn't do this as I'm a fairly wary person on electronics from ebay but my mechanic bought a unit for his Range Rover from the same seller (presumably this is the same manufacturer for the Rover and BMW units) and installed it himself and it works perfectly.

You may or may not remember but I tried to install the Dension system in my car but it wouldn't work. The plug behind the radio wasn't correct for the Dension and video would not function.

This unit apparently is installed BEHIND everything in the trunk only, no need to remove any pieces or install this in the car behind the head unit/nav screen. It seems easy in theory. You just install this between the nav system and the car connections.

Any thoughts? It looks great on the Rover - had the guidelines, depth markers in numerals and changed colors if you went outside the lines. Not sure if it's infrared, but that might be a camera function, not the module.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
FYI it doesn't include a camera! Roveractive.biz sells a factory backup camera but it's nearly 1K!

#3 ·
I did notice it doesn't include a camera. Seems as if MOST of the better systems (not that this is necessarily one of them) do not come with the camera. Even the ones from NAVTV i believe are stand alone. There are hundreds of night vision 170 degree cameras on ebay for about $25-40 including shipping, so that doesn't worry me. It's just the install part that makes me nervous. I emailed the seller to see if he/she has instructions and if they're detailed or in a foreign language.

#6 ·
I think the most difficult part of this install would be the camera and finding a good spot to mount it. Would you replace one of your reverse sensors? The wiring install looks pretty simple and the NAV unit is one of the more simpler items to access in your car. So, the converter looks rather easy. Again, I have no idea where I would successfully mount a camera on the rear of the car without some serious mods.

Anyone have any ideas? Where did your Range Rover buddy mount his? There are probably more options on that car.

#7 ·
I think the most difficult part of this install would be the camera and finding a good spot to mount it. Would you replace one of your reverse sensors? The wiring install looks pretty simple and the NAV unit is one of the more simpler items to access in your car. So, the converter looks rather easy. Again, I have no idea where I would successfully mount a camera on the rear of the car without some serious mods.

Anyone have any ideas? Where did your Range Rover buddy mount his? There are probably more options on that car.
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?products_id=3024

#9 ·
I used navtool works great! Hookup in the back only, convert my front screen so I can watch DVDs.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

Attachments

#10 ·
I just bought this unit too. Installation looks very simple (only 3 wires ) and I already installed the camera in the back but I need help since I am installaing a camera in the front too but dont know how to run wires drom front bumper to trunk. Any help will be appreciated. I offered $200 and was accepted.

#16 ·
The set up is very easy. I just would like someone to post picture of th installation and how to run cables for a front bumper camera. Looks like nobody have front cameras in their bimmers and or not want to share their secrets.

If someone wants a picture of how the camera looks, please ask. Im here to help.

#24 · (Edited)
A normal single throw relay should have a diagram like this on it:

Its very simple how it works, pins 85 and 86 turn on an electro magnet which in turn pulls a switch shut, connecting pins 87 and 30.

So (assuming the bulb works as I would expect, being on when positive is applied, as opposed to being constantly live and negative applied to turn it on) you would splice the bulb cable and attach it to pin 85 and then 86 to ground.

If the bulb is constantly live and activated by a negative, then you would connect pin 85 to it in the same way, and pin 86 to a ground in the car.

You would then attach pin 30 to a constant positive (battery terminal, and other constant +ve feed), and pin 87 to the "remote on / power supply" for your reversing camera.

In this way when the reverse light turns on, it flips the switch turning the reverse camera on, and when you turn it off the relay turns it back off.

If you find it works, but the bulb no longer illuminates at all, then you need to splice the other side of the bulb connector as you're making the circuit cut out the light. In most cases it shouldn't matter which side of the bulb you attach the relay (depends on the resistance).

I hope my description makes sense :)

#27 ·
ok Piers1989, i finally got it to work. i bought an automotive relay at Radio shack and used it to switch the 12v from the reverse light bulb 12v to a steady 12v.
works like a charm.
cost me $40 for the camera and rear view mirror monitor and two days of work but it is definitely worth it.
thanks for the help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.