BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Anyone transport their bicycle in the back?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  conceyted 
#1 ·
With the back seats tilted forward, I am trying to determine if I will be able to carry my road bike (55cm) in the back of the car by taking off the front tire. Please let me know if have tried this and whether or not it works. (I am not interested in putting the bike on a rack).

Thanks, Buminenga

#3 · (Edited)
I have a 55cm road bike with ISP that fits in the back without removing the front or rear wheel as long as all back seats are folded down. However, I don't think I would have much more room to put race gear if I was headed to another state to race and possibly sleep overnight. I purchased a BMW roof rack and two bike trays. Give me until tomorrow and I will take some shots of the car with my bike in the back of it and then some shots with both my TT and Road bikes on the roof for you.

Since we are on the topic of bikes, here are my road and TT bikes: http://i.imgur.com/tm86e.jpg

#5 ·
Conceyted, thanks for the post about the bikes. Looks like you're pretty serious about riding / racing. I live in Colo and do quite a bit of mtn and road (mostly hill climbs). I have a couple expensive (carbon) Cannondales and do not like leaving the bikes on a roof rack when I need to be out and away from the car. If I can get one bike inside (with the seats down), I can put my riding gear on the front passenger seat / floor. Most of my traveling to ride, I do alone or meet up with a buddy somewhere, so I don't need to carry more than one bike.

Again, thanks for the info... I plan to order a brown X1 (xLine) in August, for a late Oct delivery. Very nice to know I'll be able to keep my bike inside the car now.

#6 ·
Yes, I do exactly this when going to group rides. I bought my rack for out of town travel where I would be driving 2+ hours with a passenger and 2 bikes to races. Otherwise, if it was just me and my bike, I would have no trouble loading up the car and keeping the bike inside. I still plan to get those pictures for you, I just did not have an opportunity to do so today with the weather being what it was.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.