BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

First oil change

6K views 42 replies 15 participants last post by  TJPark01 
#1 ·
For those whio purchased your car, when did you get your first oil change? And if you do so, does that change the scheduled maintenance...in other words does my free oil change get pushed further out?

#2 ·
Changed by my dealer at my expense at 2,000 miles, did not reset the recommended interval.

This gets all sorts of views but it was peace of mind and worth it to me.

#3 ·
I did my first oil change at 2,000 miles (clean oil after break-in, overkill, I know...) but that does not reset your service interval.

Even if you do a 1 Yr. service (before the 15,000 miles), it still does not reset your counter, and may end up doing another free service in a couple thousand miles.

#4 ·
i did one at 2000 as well. who knows. but my computer is giving me antoher 1000 miles to go for another change, and im at 10.5. has anyone else experienced this? never touched the computer. maybe because i drive it like i stole it?

#6 ·
3000 mile oil change on my dime, 7500 again on me,16000 on BMW. Used Mobil 1 0w40. Funny thing is, the dealer insists on using their oil as part of the covered oil change. My break in technique up to 1200 miles was a near-religious experience, followed by gradual increases in aggressive acceleration and RPMs from 1200-4000 miles on the o/d. Engine has not used a drop of oil - ever.

#7 ·
1500 miles - by me - Mobil 1 5W30
cheap and easy to find in 6packs at Costco for ~$5-6/per bottle
550 took (9) bottles (quart size, ~1 Liter)

Next: 5000 miles

People are emotional about oil brands and types. Just make sure you are using a viscosity approved in the manual. As far as BMW approved oils, those are very good oils, but not always easy to find and are selected because they hold up 15,000 miles in all kinds of climates.

IMO it is much worse to wait 15,000 miles between oil changes than to use a good brand substitute synthetic (eg. Mobil 1) at an approved viscosity.

#8 ·
What does the BMW dealer charge for oil changes?

#10 · (Edited)
Cynerjist,

Mobile 1 5W-30 does not meet BMW's Long-life rating LL-01 specifications. The only Mobile 1 oil that meets BMW's specifications is Mobile 1 SAE 0W-40. You can check your warranty manual, BMW USA's website, Mobile's website, or google the words Mobile 1 5W-30 and BMW and you will find several threads about this. I learned the hard way as I recently had an indy specializing in German vehicles change the oil in my E46. I asked if they used BMW oil and the answer I got was "yes". When I picked up the car, my invoice showed Mobile 1 5W-30. When I complained, I got some BS response that it was better than BMW oil. I did some research and shared my findings with the shop owner. He checked with his Mobile vendor and they confirmed that Mobile 1 0W-40 is what they should have used. Shop owner has offered to change oil to Mobile 1 0W-40.

LDD

#12 ·
Sorry, but I do not understand why you guys are changing oil BEFORE the recommended service interval. Am I missing something here (looks like)? Kindly enlighten me - is it absolutely MUST?. I have 2011 535u with approx. 6200 - 6300 miles.

Thanks a LOT.
This is a much deeper question than just about oil change interval.

It has to do with how you were raised and what parental advice / traits you have adopted.

Other similar questions include:

Buy new tires before you see the wear bars or when you see the air inside?

Go to dentist for teeth cleaning every 6 months or every two years ?

Clean the house on a regular schedule or only when listing for sale?

Bathe daily or just Saturday night?

Clean underwear daily or weekly? :)

#15 ·
Interesting. I have typically changed oil at 2,500 mile 4 month intervals. Of course Lexus dealers change oil for $100-120 because they realize that if you lose a customer over the small stuff, you may lose the big services too. It's an unfortunate side effect of the ultimate service plan that BMW dealers charge $200 for an oil change.

I'll shop around but the most I would stretch it on the 550i is 6 months which is about 3800 miles for me.

#16 ·
I know it gives people piece of mind, however, after the break-in period is over, there really isn't any need to change the oil that often. If you really want to know the condition of the fluid have the oil analyzed by Blackstone Labs. I've done this many times and my own conclusion is that in the early stages of a cars life there is a gestation period where the engine is "getting it's legs", during this time it's recommended not to do long OCI's. But after this period is over, I would say about a year and 10k miles. Once a year or 7500 miles oil changes is totally fine.

#23 ·
It's been tough to find an independent mechanic that is qualified to touch my car. When I had my Honda, no probelm.. but it's a whole different world with the tech in these cars. My dealership is about 30 minutes away and I'd love to find a shop closer who can handle the smaller stuff, like oil changes that fall between the warranty intervals. I don't always mind the drive but $180 or so is astronomical for an oil change at the dealer. Especially when "regular" cars can get theirs done at JiffyLube for $20. If it costs $90 for the supplies then I'm paying 100% over cost - doesn't seem right, does it? I wonder if I could find a reputable mechanic on Angies List...

#24 ·
Really? Oil changes on this car is about as easy as I've seen. The oil filter is on top, so there's no mess and there's a trap door for the drain plug, so there are no plastic panels to remove. I would buy the parts and take it to indy. Oil change isn't what I'd be worried about, other things like ATF flush and fill with Proprietary Shell lubricant specified by ZF is a harder job. Or you can just believe BMW and not change the ATF fluid at all.

#26 ·
Especially when "regular" cars can get theirs done at JiffyLube for $20.

Don't get me started on "JiffyLube" .... I let my teenage son take his LR Disco there and they "upgraded" him to "high mileage" oil. Not synthetic, still needed to be changed 3,000 miles later, and charged him $85 bucks for that crap.

OK .... over that ...... my BMW dealer often mails coupon specials for $89 synthetic oil change and there are numerous good indy shops here that will do oil change for $70 or so.

I'm sure Tampa must have good indy shops, just have to search.

#27 · (Edited)
I know I'll get slammed for this, but here goes... It is clear that one of the primary reasons that BMW eliminated the dipsticks is due to the fact that most of it's prospective clientele are not "astute" in this area, and don't come from a demographic that would foster such interest in DIY maintenance or acute knowledge of the internal combustion engine. When I raised this point with my local service writer, he said that he could not disagree.

I was forced to learn/accompany my grandfather changing oil from the age of six. He worked for an oil filter company for 35years. I subsequently rebuilt two engines through high school and college. I raced and modified cars through this entire times well.

The simple fact, not to be insulting, is that the typical BMW buyer does not come from such a demographic, thus no dipsticks. Regardless of the integrity of the engine build QI/QC, the machining process and assembly will result in some filament. Change your oil-early.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.