BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Hit a pot hole!

2K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  sptt144 
#1 ·
WOW! My wife and I were driving home and hit a foot wide pothole tonight with no bottom and BANG...BANG!!! Thought the car was going to disintegrate right there! Now I know what you East Coast folks are talking about! That may be the only pothole in Southern California and I hit it square on with the left front and rear tire. She told me, "thank God I wasn't driving it!". And I said, "yes, you are correct!" (because damage would only follow with her luck). No damage noticed...yet but DANG!!! Where is the suspension in this car? More $$$ to look into.

#2 ·
Keep checking the sidewalls of your tires for bubbles. Bubbling means a new tire is in your immediate future.

Potholes are the scourge of drivers everywhere. :thumbdwn:

#3 · (Edited)
If you have RFT's that's a lot of it.

Especially if they are the first generation models.
Search the threads for RFT's the Bridgestone Turanza's are really bad.
Basically they are large bearings.
Get some non RFT's and if you want it really nice some Koni FSD shocks.

#16 ·
Especially if they are the first generation models.
Search the threads for RFT's the Bridgestone Turanza's are really bad.
The original Turanza EL42 RFTs were mounted on some '06 and '07 BMWs, not the OP's 2009 which might have come with the reformulated EL 42 which is a totally different tire. They are fairly decent A/S touring tires except for somewhat below average wet road performance. Mine are barely half worn after 27k miles and give acceptable (but not exceptional) ride and handling.

And after the 2010 settlement (premature wear being the primary issue), I seriously doubt that there are any first generation EL42 RFTs on the road.

Tom

#4 ·
Now do you see, the kind of fun you're missing on East Coast? In New Jersey we pay enough in taxes and insurence that I should be able to speed luge down every street in this state. That'll be the day.. :rofl:

#5 ·
I'm happy i bought the tire and wheel insurance that was offered through BMW when i bought mine. cost me 1200$ and in alittle over a year i've already gone through 2 tires and 1 rim (only rim was replaced because of pothole damage). insurance has already paid for itself and i have another 4 years left on it. Was well worth the money, especially in the DC area where pot holes are rampant. Something to consider in future BMW purchases.

#6 · (Edited)
Every other street here in upstate NY has potholes the size of the Grand Canyon

Another reason a 17" wheel with a 45 sidewall is a necessity as compared to an 18" wheel with a 35 side wall. 35/18 would spell disaster for your wheel around here

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#8 ·
sptt144, set your Google to 'Pothole Explosion' - prepare for an afternoon of reading.

Permanent cure available: Koni FSD, or do what I did for endless grip too. Turns out, there were good reasons for what M div did diff, yet it's exactly the same car.
off .... your .... meds again today :eek:

#17 ·
I switched to non-RFT Michelin PSS and installed Koni FSD. The right is still a bit crisp with a far amount of chatter over small bumps, but MUCH improved over stock. Actually, I installed the Koni FSD while I still had RFTs and the ride was only marginally improved. The tire switch accounted for the majority of the improvement.

#18 ·
Pothole

I too hit a pot hole late this winter. No visible damage but noticed the steering wheel was cocked a little to the left and slightly off center. A visit to the dealer and an alignment showed the toe and camber were off on the front right and back right wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.