BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Raving E90 review (online Times's second review)

4K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  adc 
#1 · (Edited)
This second reviewer from the Times compares the E90 to its predecessor. Finally!

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12929-1450589,00.html

Excerpt: BMW is not to be blamed for the excesses of its customers. Unlike its last effort, the deeply disappointing 1-series, BMW has judged the 3-series if not to perfection then certainly to a level damn near to it. It may look a little dull inside and out, but do not let that mask the true significance of the new 3-series: the finest small saloon in the world just got a whole lot better.

There's more grip, the steering is sharp and full of feel and, in extremis, its manners are utterly impeccable.

#2 ·
vehigal said:
This second reviewer from the Times compares the E90 to its predecessor. Finally!

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12929-1450589,00.html

Excerpt: BMW is not to be blamed for the excesses of its customers. Unlike its last effort, the deeply disappointing 1-series, BMW has judged the 3-series if not to perfection then certainly to a level damn near to it. It may look a little dull inside and out, but do not let that mask the true significance of the new 3-series: the finest small saloon in the world just got a whole lot better.

There's more grip, the steering is sharp and full of feel and, in extremis, its manners are utterly impeccable.
Yes, but earlier in the review they stated:

A shame, then, that such a superlative engine is fitted to such a disappointing looking car. It's not ugly like the 1-series or 7-series. BMW couldn't afford to risk doing anything radical to a car responsible for 60% of its sales. If anything, it has been too conservative. The car is bland on the outside, drab on the inside and a poor shadow of its sleek looking predecessor. It looks like a committee car. When I tested it in Spain it attracted very little attention, even after a couple of hundred miles in and out of Spanish towns. .

#3 ·
Terry Kennedy said:

A shame, then, that such a superlative engine is fitted to such a disappointing looking car. It's not ugly like the 1-series or 7-series. BMW couldn't afford to risk doing anything radical to a car responsible for 60% of its sales. If anything, it has been too conservative. The car is bland on the outside, drab on the inside and a poor shadow of its sleek looking predecessor. It looks like a committee car. When I tested it in Spain it attracted very little attention, even after a couple of hundred miles in and out of Spanish towns. .
:eek: that does not sound promising.

#4 ·
Terry Kennedy said:

A shame, then, that such a superlative engine is fitted to such a disappointing looking car. (...) .
When I first saw the official photos of the E90 I was depressed. Now, reading that the car provides much driving enjoyment, I am relieved, but still very disappointed about its looks, both inside and out. I don't think I'll ever be able to admire the looks of a 3 series again. Sadly, however, the E90 isn't ugly enough to dissuade me from wanting one if it remains -- convincingly -- the best in its segment as to driving feel. And according to the review, no other car even comes close. So, if people fall in love due to an impressive test drive, BMW won't have to make aesthetic changes. :cry:

#7 ·
PhilH said:
Looks are subjective and you might even finding yourself getting used to a car that you originally thought was ugly. Basically, I don't care what they have to say about the looks. What people have to say about how the E90 drives is much more important to me.
:) Couldn't have said it better myself, Phil. If you want looks, buy the clay-model from Bangle and mold it to your heart's content.

:rolleyes: No offense to the Brits, but in Europe, they seem to be the biggest complainers of BMW's new design direction. Whether its the Fifth Gear T.V. program or AutoExpress magazine on the net, its like they're so particular and the cars have to be just so for them.

#8 ·
Terry Kennedy said:

Well, here in Spain most of the people don't really care much about cars passing by, except if it is a Ferrari, Porsche and the like. So it doesn't mean much to me that it attracted very little attention. It's only people crazy about cars (like me :thumbup: ) who notice even the last facelifted version of a car. What I do believe is that the E90 looks great on the road, much better than in the official pictures.

Bye, buen domingo ;)

#9 · (Edited)
RichReg said:
:rolleyes: No offense to the Brits, but in Europe, they seem to be the biggest complainers of BMW's new design direction....
It may seem that way because the U.K. press has much better access to readers and viewers in the U.S. than their counterparts in the rest of Europe. Or perhaps that should be "in Europe". :dunno: :)

BMW's latest designs have had a rather mixed reception at home. Most of the BMW fans I know would be very happy if Bangle & Company were to resign.

#11 ·
Terry Kennedy said:

I've never been to Spain, but I've been to southern Italy many times and I tend to think that many of the Spaniards in the rural towns could care less about a new E90 BMW anyway. Also, it's still a regular 3 series so how much attention could it attract? It's not like its a new M car.

#12 ·
Moderato said:
I've never been to Spain, but I've been to southern Italy many times and I tend to think that many of the Spaniards in the rural towns could care less about a new E90 BMW anyway. Also, it's still a regular 3 series so how much attention could it attract? It's not like its a new M car.
Also , its not like the launch has been widely publicized yet... also I agree why would a rurual spaniard care about a BMW in the first place.

#13 · (Edited)
RichReg said:
:rolleyes: No offense to the Brits, but in Europe, they seem to be the biggest complainers of BMW's new design direction. Whether its the Fifth Gear T.V. program or AutoExpress magazine on the net, its like they're so particular and the cars have to be just so for them.
Agreed. The 3er is a big seller in the UK (70,000 a year), but (speaking as a local who tries to maximise his exposure to the press, for better or worse) these days British journalism is loud-mouthed, self-important and flaky on facts and integrity. This extends beyond motoring journalism, which - all things considered - is one of the least important forms of journalism there is. Appearing somewhere alongside trainspotting in the national psyche :).

#14 ·
PhilH said:
Looks are subjective and you might even finding yourself getting used to a car that you originally thought was ugly. Basically, I don't care what they have to say about the looks. What people have to say about how the E90 drives is much more important to me.
Personally I still haven't got used to the 5er saloon as a whole, but the touring is now very popular (can't imagine why :)) and I could get used to the Dame Edna Everage front end. I don't much like the rear of the E90 saloon either, but I won't be buying one because the rear headroom is actually worse than the outgoing car (anyone ever tried hoiking your kid in and out of the rear of an E46 sedan without bashing his/her head on the rubber seal?). So, a new 3er touring, then :).

#15 ·
Really, you can never please some people. They call the 7-series and 5-series styling too avant-garde and non-traditional, then complain about the E90 being too plain and boring? Give me a freaking break - I don't see any stylistic difference between the E90 and the E60.

#16 ·
avalys said:
Really, you can never please some people. They call the 7-series and 5-series styling too avant-garde and non-traditional, then complain about the E90 being too plain and boring? Give me a freaking break
I agreed with everything you said, untill you said this:

avalys said:
- I don't see any stylistic difference between the E90 and the E60.
:confused:

#17 · (Edited)
Moderato said:
I agreed with everything you said, untill you said this:

:confused:
I don't mean they look identical, but I mean I don't see any difference in the general style of the design. People say that the E90 styling is more toned down than the E60 and E-whatever the seven is, but I don't think it's any less Bangled than the others.

I also don't think the exterior looks boring at all, I think it looks awesome. The interior does seem rather drab, though, but I guess I'll wait until I sit in one.

#18 ·
andy_thomas said:
Agreed. The 3er is a big seller in the UK (70,000 a year), but (speaking as a local who tries to maximise his exposure to the press, for better or worse) these days British journalism is loud-mouthed, self-important and flaky on facts and integrity. This extends beyond motoring journalism, which - all things considered - is one of the least important forms of journalism there is. Appearing somewhere alongside trainspotting in the national psyche :).
:beerchug:Well I'm glad there is someone out there in merry old England that sees this as I have.

For a while there, I thought I was imagining things. :loco:

#19 ·
avalys said:
Really, you can never please some people. They call the 7-series and 5-series styling too avant-garde and non-traditional, then complain about the E90 being too plain and boring? Give me a freaking break - I don't see any stylistic difference between the E90 and the E60.
Whoa. Huh, the the e60 to me has grown to be quite sexy in my eyes. Something about its shape, especially the front and backend (not the slab-sides which are like the bland slab sides on the e90), really gets my pulse going. :dunno: Nothing about the e90 makes me sit up and notice the car.

#20 ·
avalys said:
Really, you can never please some people. They call the 7-series and 5-series styling too avant-garde and non-traditional, .
No, they are calling them UGLY. Not avant-garde, which literally means "ahead of the main corp". Design can be avant-garde yet beautiful. The 5/7 are neither.

then complain about the E90 being too plain and boring? Give me a freaking break - I don't see any stylistic difference between the E90 and the E60.
I think they complain about the E90 rear end being too boring, while the front tries too hard to be original. They also complain about the interior being drab (i.e. too simple, plain and sparse).

:dunno:

If you have to explain a design to me, to defend it with complicated words and expressions - then in my eyes that design is failed. Exceptional design is ALWAYS self-explanatory (that's what really makes it exceptional) - it makes you go "wow" in the first few seconds you see it.

When I saw the first new designs from BMW (Z4, 7, 5 and to a less extent the new 3), all I've said was "oops. wtf???". Instead of stealing second glances to admire the new shapes, I was taking second looks to find more flattering angles. :eek:

I think this is what so many BMW fans are complaining about.

adc
03 330 ZHP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.