BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Problems with my 2000 528i

6K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  lsrguy98 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I just got a 2000 528i with around 80k miles that was a bit scuffed up from a wreck. We fixed up the body and it ran great so we figured we were getting a good deal. Yesterday, the car started shaking weird and so I cycled the key and it was running fine again. Still wanting to check the error messages, I went to a friend near me that owns a BMW repair shop. I had a check engine light, an airbag light and another light that was because the car needs an alignment because the steering wheel is crooked.

Long story short, he printed me off a list with problems that have to do with the check engine light. Here's what I got: Misfires on Cylinders: 1, 3, 4, 5, 6; Fuel trim bank 2 and 1; Fuel trim bank 2 and 1 control limit; Signal, ox. sensor before cat. converter bank 2, min. value undershot.

I was wondering if you guys had any ideas what could be causing these problems before I go running off to a mechanic/garage. I read online that the Fuel trim problems could be caused by the MAF. As far as the misfires, I haven't tried replacing the spark plugs yet but I was wondering if it could be since all of them misfired except 2. Also, in the week that I have had the car it only misfired that one time so it's not frequent. The car had been sitting for awhile after the accident but the engine looked immaculate. There are some other errors with the airbag sensor but I'm mainly concerned about the engine, if you guys could help I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm upgrading from my 1995 BMW 325i and before that I had a 1991 BMW 530i. I only had one other car besides my BMW's and I didn't keep it for long as I traded it for the 325i.

See less See more
#3 ·
I guess I shouldn't have used the term friend, he's more of an acquaintance in that he has fixed some of my cars and my parents cars before. Basically, I want to know, somewhat, what could be the problems so I don't run in there not knowing anything and him tell me that there's so much to replace (because he still wants to make money even though I know him) and me just take the bait and be out more money. Plus, I sort of want to try and fix it myself if it's not too much trouble or at least diagnose it more than it already is to save me money if I do have to bring it to him.

#5 ·
Ok, I figured I would have to replace that but should I go ahead and replace the whole MAF unit (body and sensor) or just replace the sensor, based on the problems I'm having? Also, would that MAF be causing me the misfire every once in awhile as well or could that be something else?

Thanks!

#8 ·
Like others said. Check the maf, it could be dusty, also check for vacuum leaks. Start the car and hear for any hissing.

Di. He give you any printouts and/or readings of the ox sensor values?

Bad fuel will also give you problems.

#9 ·
What were the codes? If you're going to keep the car or get it fixed then invest in a cheap obdii code reader. It will help pinpoint any problems

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.