BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What it really takes for a CIC retrofit.. (DIY, Complete! Coding files included!)

469K views 515 replies 73 participants last post by  kd7iwp 
#1 · (Edited)
Update 8/20/2013: I tried to go through and add part numbers to everything. These are done to the best of my ability, but please do your own research to be sure!!

So, I decided I was going to do a CCC retrofit, but the further I got into researching parts, the more I realized I might as well just do a CIC retrofit for about the same price. I've seen threads on this, but none that really made it as cut and dry as it probably should be, so hopefully this thread helps.

All my parts are starting to come in, so here my thread on it:

Here's what you need (will be updated as I go):

BMW made parts:
-CIC unit - $1000 on eBay, (65129199616 I think) included other parts noted below (actually I bought it outside of eBay to get the price lower, but that's not really the best idea usually)
-Display ("CID") - Included (65829224346)
-iDrive controller (optional) - Included (65829240957)
-Connector to hook up new iDrive controller - Included (Tyco/TE 968813) - available at http://www.onlinecomponents.com/te-connectivity-amp-brand-9688131.html?p=43816490 Edit 9/15: I believe BMW part number 61138380696 is the same and will work as well
-CID CAN/power connector (61136954526) - Included
-CIC cable, connects to CID for video signal (61119185171) - $38.50
-USB Port (61319167196) - $26.99
-USB Port cable (61129196805) - These are back ordered so I ordered two of the CIC video cables and shaved part of the connector to make it work. Will report back if any issues doing this Update 8-6-13: THIS DID NOT WORK!!- Update 8-13-13: I WAS WRONG. IT WORKED JUST FINE.$38.50 (correct version is cheaper but back ordered until mid-August. Update 8-6-13: ECS Tuning has these in stock now. I'm going to send back one of the video cables (the one I didn't modify obviously) and have already ordered the correct cable. It will be here Thursday.. Until then I'm stuck with European maps, lol.
-Trim piece around iDrive controller (comes from the 6 series model) - Included (51169169999)
-Trim piece that goes around the CIC slot - Included (51456976361 for black, must have lower piece from CCC, existing piece is fine if available)

-Optional: LCI climate control assembly (buttons are slightly larger to better fit the CIC trim) - did not purchase this, but I found one for $129 I'm thinking about buying

Aftermarket Parts:
-CAN emulator to activate navigation, etc. without paying BMW big bucks for their activation codes (find on eBay) - $100
-Updated 2013 maps (find online, put them on a 32GB USB drive) - Free
-FSC code for updating maps (find on internet for < $50) - $49 Update 8-6-13: Received my FSC code, but you can't put it in until the system detects a USB drive with the map update on it.. and my USB port doesn't work yet due to trying to make a video cable work, SO, I can only hope this code is valid (SEE UPDATE). UPDATE: THE CABLE WASN'T THE PROBLEM. THE ISSUE IS THE SOFTWARE ON MY CIC IS TOO OLD TO UTILIZE USB TO UPDATE THE MAPS. I HAVE TO USE 2012 DVD'S FOR NOW
-"FAKRA" GPS antenna. (ebay, $15 or less if you're willing to wait on a shipment from China) - $15 (can be had for $5 if you're patient). Update 8/20/13: Not needed if you have CCC prep or CCC. See later posts about the connector in the trunk, TCU, etc.
-Misc stuff from Radio Shack (I bought way too much stuff) - $30

I'll post some pictures as I get into actually doing the retrofit. Hopefully today I will have most of my parts and by Saturday have everything I need to get it installed. I'll post a lot of pictures and everything I do coding wise when trying to get it to work.

Total thus far: $1,297.99 (if my math is right)

See less See more
#68 ·
lol no problem. Sorry to be so short, typing on phone.

I'm not sure how the faceplate is connected wiring wise, if it's easy to unhook the wiring it should be easy enough to swap out

#78 ·
US Spec CIC vs Europe spec CIC

I am wanting to use a US spec CIC so I can retain HD radio like I have already via an external OEM IBOC tuner. Very strange that one cannot code a CIC to find that external HD tuner - at least that's what the well-known retrofit sellers are telling me.

The good thing about the Europe spec CIC is that, if I read posts right, only it can later be made to work to have Internet in the car via Combox and connected drive. The US spec CIC will fail to work with Internet as BMW disabled that for our market, or something like that? Maybe I read all that wrong though...

I have a Dension for bluetooth streaming and it also works well connected by cable to IPOD iPad or iPhone. I am not worried about the BMW apps, etc, but I do want HD radio so for me, a US spec CIC is better. I won't do the Combox as my Dension does all I want.

Carter650i, If selling your US CIC, pm me? I am comfortable with NCExpert to change my VO. I don't have Tool32, but if you do, maybe you could set it to my VIN - let me know?

What else would I buy to do this retrofit myself in a 650i? I can name: CID screen and plugs to CiC, emulator and adapter cable, new idrive controller and bezel, CIC trim plate for S436 fine wood trim.

#79 ·
I'm not sure why everyone likes HD radio.. Audio quality wise it's worse than regular.. HD stands for hybrid digital, not high def.

Anyways. I believe you have misunderstood the whole VIN thing on the cic. You do not want to put your vin on the cic. The codes stored in it that allow navigation to work are based on the original cars vin. You want the cic to think its still in that car (thus reason for using an emulator)

The vin I posted info on earlier was how to find the vin that the cic originally came out of. You need this in order to buy a code to update your maps to a newer version.

#82 ·
I'm not sure why everyone likes HD radio.. Audio quality wise it's worse than regular.. HD stands for hybrid digital, not high def.

Anyways. I believe you have misunderstood the whole VIN thing on the cic.

The vin I posted info on earlier was how to find the vin that the cic originally came out of. You need this in order to buy a code to update your maps to a newer version.
I guess I did... So if using an emulator for nav and voice, then no worries about vin from donor car, just follow your DIY? Do an FA Write to CAS and LMA to Change VO to think car is newer, from 9/2006 for me to, say 9/2009?

#86 ·
btw my cic went off last night while I was driving, due to some sloppy job on how i previously installed the emulator. all i did was cut the wires and tape the ends together. lmao ... this morning I took it apart and followed schpenxel way, it works like a charm.... @schpenxel can you tell me another way I can get the front plate to lid because the one you sent my way the first time doesn't seems to work for me. every time I did it the front lights turn on but the cic dont fire up. and when took it out it works. I don't know if its because I tap in the blinker wire instead of go to the pin it self. IDK

#91 · (Edited)
Updates to Full Parts List?

Folks,

As this thread has progressed and from reading these 4 pages and swapping PM's yesterday with Carter650i, I looked up what I could and here is what I think is a partial listing:

CIC unit (various)
Display ("CID") - 65829211969 (from Schpenxel's photos) ***8211; price new***8230;$1,913.18 (find used!)
iDrive controller (various) ~$100 on eBay - a couple of California sellers
CID CAN/power connector ***8220;socket housing***8221; (61136954526) - $2.88
CIC cable, connects to CID for video signal (61119185171) - $38.50
USB Port ***8220;USB Socket***8221; (61319167196, superseded by 84109237656 ) - $26.50
USB Port cable ***8220;cable set for USB***8221; (61129196805) - $25.90

Aftermarket Parts (quotes are from schpenxel):
CAN emulator to activate navigation, (find on eBay, UK or China) - ~$100
Updated 2013 maps (find online, put them on a 32GB USB drive) - Free
FSC code for updating maps (find on internet for < $50) - $49 but can't put it in until the system detects a USB drive with the map update on it.. watch out for: THE SOFTWARE ON your CIC being TOO OLD TO UTILIZE USB TO UPDATE THE MAPS. SCHPENXEL HAD TO USE 2012 DVD'S.
"FAKRA" GPS antenna. (ebay, $15 or less) - but not needed if you have CCC nav already or 'CCC Prep"
Misc stuff from Radio Shack (I bought way too much stuff) - $30

So for those of us who are literally sourcing every piece from scratch, what else? For my 650i I think I need at least:

black plastic trim piece around iDrive controller ***8220;switch bezel***8221; (specific to 6 series model) ***8211; item 15 in ***8220;body hardware ***8211; console***8221; view but no part # or price? You also use this as the template to carefully open out the existing hole in the 6-series console.

Small wiring plugs (different than on CCC -need to adapt) - one at CIC/CID? The other for the new controller (part #'s?), any more?

Trim piece that goes around the CIC slot ***8220;Center bezel w/navigation system, Dark Birch***8221; (specific to match my S436 Dark Birch Fine Wood Trim), item 11 in BODY HARDWARE / INSTRUMENT PANEL / INSTRUMENT PANEL / Center bezel view MSRP $229.84, purchase for $183.87 ***8211; no part number shown.

As for the CID, I am seeing several eBay listings for just the display screen (new) for ~$350, shippig from Japan. Has anyone swapped out their bare CCC screen for one of these? Is that possible? It looks like just a few screws hold the tabs in back to the plastic trim ring, but - are all required plug connections present on that bare screen, etc...?

What else?

#92 · (Edited)
black plastic trim piece around iDrive controller ***8220;switch bezel***8221; (specific to 6 series model) ***8211; item 15 in ***8220;body hardware ***8211; console***8221; view but no part # or price? You also use this as the template to carefully open out the existing hole in the 6-series console.
51169169999 is the part number

Small wiring plugs (different than on CCC -need to adapt) - one at CIC/CID? The other for the new controller (part #'s?), any more?
61136954526 for the CID
I am not sure of the part number on the idrive controller connector--I'll try to find it tonight on mine

Trim piece that goes around the CIC slot ***8220;Center bezel w/navigation system, Dark Birch***8221; (specific to match my S436 Dark Birch Fine Wood Trim), item 11 in BODY HARDWARE / INSTRUMENT PANEL / INSTRUMENT PANEL / Center bezel view MSRP $229.84, purchase for $183.87 ***8211; no part number shown.
Do you have CCC now?

There's two parts needed, but you may already have one of them. There's the part that goes around the CIC, then there is the lower piece that goes around the seat heater buttons and all that. If you have CCC now, for the bottom half you can use what you already have (will have to disconnect the two halves on what you have now). The new upper piece has a different design that does NOT snap into the old one, but that's on purpose and is that way on cars with factory CIC. They work just fine, just a different design

51456976361 is the upper piece that goes around the CIC (in black)

For people without CCC currently, part number 51457063152 has the upper and lower setup for the CCC (this is the plain black version). You can separate these two and just use the bottom half along with the CIC upper. Not sure on a number for the lower by itself

#93 · (Edited)
CCC present in my car

I have CCC now. So the plastic trim ring around the screen is the same for CCC or CIC? If we need it, from RealOEM: ***8220;Cover, onboard monitor 8.8" 1 09/2009 65829226386 for ~$36.

I took your info post and added what I could to it from my parts/price lookup.

black plastic trim piece around iDrive controller ***8220;switch bezel***8221; - I confirm your reply of 51169169999 which comes up as ***8220;SWITCH COVER***8221; for $30.75. As depicted this is indeed what is needed.

Small wiring plugs (different than on CCC -need to adapt) - the one at the CID is 61136954526 - yes, this was one of the parts you listed at the start so that one was already covered! From RealOem this is described as ***8220;Universal socket housing uncoded***8221; 61136954526 at $3.60 for use with either: Terminal socket MQS ELA 0.2-0.5 MM² SN 61131393704 (small pins to use at ends of wiring and insert into plugs - pack of 10 for $7.49. They also list 61138366260 as a "contact" Terminal socket MQS ELA 0.75 MM²/S at $0.99 each - I got 10.

part number on the idrive controller connector _____ you will try to find it tonight on yours.

Trim piece that goes around the CIC slot ***8220;Center bezel w/navigation system, Dark Birch***8221; (specific to match my S436 Dark Birch Fine Wood Trim), From RealOEM: For vehicles with Fine wood trim S436A=Yes, 02 Decor cover for instrument panel, center BIRKE GRAU 1 09/2008 51459171191 for $199.39 (this is item #2 for CIC, in the illustration, item #3 is for non-nav and uses the little storage box - not what we are after!)

There's two parts needed. The part that goes around the CIC, then the lower piece that goes around the seat heater buttons and all that. If you have CCC now, for the bottom half you can use what you already (will have to disconnect the two halves on what you have now (this I will do - its all wood on the 650i). The new upper piece has a different design that does NOT snap into the old one, but that's on purpose and is that way on cars with factory CIC. They work just fine.

51456976361 is the upper piece that goes around the CIC (in black) - comes up as "CENTER COVER, DASHBO" - $33.40 However, if it's the same as the one already in my car for CCC, can't I just swap screens into my existing "center cover"?

For people without CCC currently, part number 51457063152 ("COVER" for $35.83) has the upper and lower setup for the CIC (this is the plain black version). You can separate these two and just use the bottom half. Not sure on a number for the lower by itself

So: in summary, this is what an order totalling $345.02 is looking like - but we still need the small connector at new iDrive controller: (Carter650i is shipping me his US-spec CIC, but I need to also source a HD screen and an iDrive controller itself)

DECOR COVER FOR INST
Brand:
ES#: 2136079Mfg#: 51459171191
More Info
If Ordered Now, Ships in 2 days $ $199.39 Free Shipping - Ground Shipping Only
UNIVERSAL SOCKET HOUSING UNC
Brand:
ES#: 2672673Mfg#: 61136954526
More Info
If Ordered Now, Ships in 3 days $ $3.60 Free Ground Shipping Only
Adapter Cable
Used in CIC system
Brand:
ES#: 245081Mfg#: 61119185171 If Ordered Now, Ships in 2 days $ $38.50 Free Ground Shipping Only
SWITCH COVER
Brand:
ES#: 259029Mfg#: 51169169999
More Info
If Ordered Now, Ships in 2 days $ $31.94 Free Ground Shipping Only
Terminal Socket MQS - Pack Of 10
0.2-0.5mm² SN
Brand:
ES#: 2537067Mfg#: 61131393704kt
More Info
If Ordered Now, Ships in 2 days $ $7.49 Free Shipping
CONTACT
Brand:
ES#: 229460Mfg#: 61138366260
More Info
If Ordered Now, Ships in 2 days 10x total $ $9.90 Free Shipping ×
USB SOCKET
Brand:
ES#: 2194690Mfg#: 84109237656
More Info
If Ordered Now, Ships in 2 days $ $26.99 Free Shipping ×
USB Adapter Wiring Cable (THIS APPEARS TO BE ON BACK ORDER FROM ECS)
Used when installing a usb port
Brand:
ES#: 1833229Mfg#: 61129196805
More Info
If Ordered Now, Ships on Sep 25th $ $27.21 Free Shipping
Ground Shipping Only

#94 ·
I have CCC now. So the plastic trim ring around the screen is the same for CCC or CIC? I took your post and added what I could to it.

black plastic trim piece around iDrive controller "switch bezel" - no part # or price
Your reply of 51169169999 comes up as "SWITCH COVER" for $30.75. Isn't that the knob on the iDrive itself?

Small wiring plugs (different than on CCC -need to adapt) - the one at the CID is 61136954526 - OK, this was one of the parts you listed at the start so that one was already covered!

part number on the idrive controller connector _____ you will try to find it tonight on yours.

Trim piece that goes around the CIC slot "Center bezel w/navigation system, Dark Birch" (specific to match my S436 Dark Birch Fine Wood Trim), item 11 in BODY HARDWARE / INSTRUMENT PANEL / INSTRUMENT PANEL / Center bezel view MSRP $229.84, purchase for $183.87 - no part number shown.

There's two parts needed. The part that goes around the CIC, then the lower piece that goes around the seat heater buttons and all that. If you have CCC now, for the bottom half you can use what you already (will have to disconnect the two halves on what you have now (this I will do - its all wood on the 650i). The new upper piece has a different design that does NOT snap into the old one, but that's on purpose and is that way on cars with factory CIC. They work just fine.

51456976361 is the upper piece that goes around the CIC (in black) - comes up as "CENTER COVER, DASHBO" - $33.40 However, if it's the same as the one already in my car for CCC, can't I just swap screens into my existing "center cover"?

For people without CCC currently, part number 51457063152 ("COVER" for $35.83) has the upper and lower setup for the CIC (this is the plain black version). You can separate these two and just use the bottom half. Not sure on a number for the lower by itself
The plastic trim around the screen is made on to the screen, so you don't have to worry about it. If you buy a screen for a CIC unit, it comes with all the plastic sides and everything.

51169169999 is the bezel around the controller:

I'm not 100% sure how the CIC slot "center bezel" works on the 6 series (I'm assuming it's about the same?)

If you're looking at this:

http://www.getbmwparts.com/parts/20...eid=1427486&diagram=1930380&diagramCallOut=10

Part 10 won't work. You need part 11. Not enough room for #10

realoem.com should have the part number in there somewhere

Your CCC has two slots.. CIC only has one ;) if you want a big hole in your dash, it might work just fine.

#95 · (Edited)
I think there's a disconnect in what some of the parts are being called vs. what they actually are that is causing some misunderstandings

Basically you need the CIC unit itself, a CID monitor, an idrive controller, the plastic trim that goes over the CIC, the plastic piece that goes over the idrive controller, the electrical connector for the CID, electrical connector for idrive controller, the USB port and the cables that connect the CID to CIC and USB to CIC

then all the emulator crap, etc. is pretty much the same as my original post

Also, I went back and tried to add all the part numbers to my original post.

#97 · (Edited)
Indeed! I was on phone w ECS and they are trying to figure out that small electrical adapter for the electrical connector for idrive controller - seems they can't figure that one out... I placed an order w ECS for everything but two pieces that would have delayed things... And ordered those two from getBMWparts...

The two items for contacts are just pins to put on bare wiring if I need to do anything with the harnesses - i.e break a pin or something (don't ask how I know about that...) Probably won't need if I am careful.

#96 ·
Terminal Socket MQS - Pack Of 10
0.2-0.5mm² SN
Brand:
ES#: 2537067Mfg#: 61131393704kt
More Info
If Ordered Now, Ships in 2 days $ $7.49 Free Shipping
CONTACT
Brand:
ES#: 229460Mfg#: 61138366260
More Info
If Ordered Now, Ships in 2 days 10x total $ $9.90 Free Shipping ×
\

What are these for?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.