BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW X5 2002 E53 Fault Codes

88K views 23 replies 2 participants last post by  white_lancer 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi

I have just bought this X5 and it had the engine management light on. the car drove perfectly with the light on but I was interested to know what the cause was. I did not want to pay £50 at my local dealer to get the fault codes read so I bought a code reader from the internet for £27. I had about 22 error codes on the car and cleared them all apart from two of them. the codes i have left which won't clear are:

ZKE - Central Body Electric - error code 160
A/C - Heater and Automatic Conditioner Control - error code 26

does any one know what these error codes mean and what is likely to be the cause?

I have been driving the car around for a couple of days now and the engine management light has not come back on? I have listed the 22 error codes which I read from the car before they were cleared - does anyone know what may have caused the engine management light to come on in the first instance?
thanks in advance for your help.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
More Info

The engine management light came on again tonight so I went back in to read the codes and there were three new codes which have come up since I reset everything a couple of days ago. The new error codes are as follows:

DME - Digital Motor Electronics - error code 114
DME - Digital Motor Electronics - error code 28
DME - Digital Motor Electronics - error code 29

I reset just these three DME codes and the engine management light went out so I think it is definately one of these three which has made the engine management light come up again.

anyone have any ideas as to what they are and how to rectify the problem?

thanks Tony

#3 · (Edited)
This is a good one... I've been trying to do a search as to what these possibilities could be, so far I added a couple links that might help?

1)tomatic Condit Error Code - Dec=160 / Hex= 00A0 - Details "ZKE" (Central Body Electronics)
2) Error Code - Dec=026 / Hex= 001A - Details "A/C" (Heater and Auioner Control)
3) DME is also listed in the EndTuning link Below...

For #1 (above) the ZKE I found the following so far: Contents page 53 & 54
Testing Central Body Electronics (ZKE) Systems .......53 ZKE III and GM III .......54

http://www1.snapon.com/Files/Diagno...leCommunicationSoftwareManual_EAZ0025B42B.pdf

ZKE III
E38 (740i/iL)
E39 (525i, 528i, 530i, 540i, M5) E53 (X5 3.0L)

4.8.1 ZKEIIIandGMIII
The main component of ZKE III is the General Module (GM III), which is the main processing and command center for the ZKE III system. The GM processes all the input signals and then commands (activates) operation of the appropriate component (e.g., activate a window motor). The GM III has integrated circuits which use internal resistors to control current through circuits and actuators.
The GM III has the following functions:
***8226; Acts as a Master controller for all modules on the P Bus
***8226; Acts as a gateway for modules on the P Bus to communicate with modules on other buses
***8226; Communicates with the Remote Central Locking Module (FBZV) on the K Bus (all commands from transmitters are received by the FBZV and sent on the K Bus to the GM III for activation)
The GM communicates with the other ZKE III modules on the P Bus, such as:
***8226; Driver/passenger door modules***8226; Driver-door switch block
***8226; Sun roof module
***8226; Seat/mirror memory module
***8226; Keyless (remote) entry module

Trying to find and locate these have been challenging at best. Here are some other helpful links, trying to find the right one for the following: Resources

1) Automatic Condition Error Code - Dec=160 / Hex= 00A0 - Details "ZKE" (Central Body Electronics)
2) Error Code - Dec=026 / Hex= 001A - Details "A/C" (Heater and Automatic Conditioner Control)

http://www.endtuning.com/resources.html

Hope this helps.... It's a Start.... Still searching :thumbup:

#4 · (Edited)
more info

wow - thanks for the links.

I have had a quick look and found the following codes. don't how accurate these are though?

ZKE - Central Body Electric - error code 160
(fuel injector cylinder 11? - I only have 8 cylinders?)

A/C - Heater and Automatic Conditioner Control - error code 26
(multiplicative mixture adaptation part load bank 1 - no idea what this means?)

DME - Digital Motor Electronics - error code 114
(camshaft position signal bank 2 - no idea what this means?)

DME - Digital Motor Electronics - error code 28
(additive mixture adaptation idle bank 1 - no idea what this means?)

DME - Digital Motor Electronics - error code 29
(additive mixture adaptation idle bank 2 - no idea what this means?)

anyone else know what they are and if they are correct?

#5 · (Edited)
Since yours is a European model... what are the last 7 of your VIN? Maybe I can look up the correct Modules

Yours isn't a 3.0 is it? It seems it might list it as a 4.4i?

If I am correct your last 7 are LN85671 which lists your vehicle as an E53 X5 4.4i, Born 12/2001 (M62) Engine

Found this....
01 Basic cotrol unit DME ME7.2/ FLASH 1 09/2000 10/2002
http://www.endtuning.com/bmwcodes.html#DME 7.2

So here you Go!!
http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/12478-camshaft-sensor-4-4-a.html

#28= Additive Adaption Bank 1 Control Reached
#29= Additive Adaption Bank 2 Control Reached
#114 = Camshaft position Bank 2

It's posible that your Bank 1 & Bank 2 CPS (Cam Positioning Sensors) are going bad?

So yes... Reading the following link is tricky, You must get the right module as you are looking at the wrong one. I sent a msg to EndTuning about your codes and hope for a reply. You also may want to call them since their on your side of the world. :D But hope to get a response to find out your details in better terms and understandings.

~Mud~

#6 · (Edited)
more info

hi mud

yes the last numbers of the vin are LN85671

the car was first registered 01 March 2002

it is a BMW X5 2002 E53 4.4i which is the M62 engine

I am getting confused as most sites use a "P" code where mine are just 114 (dec) so I dont know how this relates to a "P" code

where did you find the following? "01 Basic cotrol unit DME ME7.2/ FLASH 1 09/2000 10/2002"

just looked in the scanner log and found the following summary

----------------------------
Errors details (dec)
DME* -> 114/8 28/225 29/225

A/C -> 26/66

LCM -> 40/1

ZKE -> 160/36

interesting I have just looked at the last summary I did with all the error codes listed

Errors details (dec)
DME* -> 114/8 28/225 29/225
Errors after clear:
no errors

EWS -> 15/63 35/42 14/2 67/6 3/1 1/1
Errors after clear:
no errors

ABS -> 104/157 90/164
Errors after clear:
no errors

LEW -> 16/131 1/5
Errors after clear:
no errors

A/C -> 26/66
Errors after clear:
26/66

IKE -> 144/132 141/144 191/136 199/129
Errors after clear:
no errors

LCM -> 40/4
Errors after clear:
no errors

ZKE -> 160/63 166/3 162/33
Errors after clear:
160/33

BMBT -> 1/1
Errors after clear:
no errors
Clear errors end

regards

tony

#7 · (Edited)
You definitely have a lot there for sure... Finding what they mean by search is a lot to understand just what your facing.

I found that information by entering your last 7 of your VIN here:

www.reaoloem.com

I'm curious if your ZKE code is a P0160 Type "P" code...? Which would list it as a bad O2 sensor?
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0160?

What is the code reader your using?

There are many codes for different areas of the vehicle in particular as the "P" type code would stand for "Power train"

Here is a picture of an Example Picture(s):
http://www.troublecodes.net/OBD2/

~Mud/Chris

Attachments

#9 ·
I'm not familiar with that particular model.

Does the "Other Functions" menu allow you to run tests on individual items like O2 sensor voltage reading as well as other type of components? I know some will give you "Live" reading to see if you (For instance) are within the voltage reading value?

#10 · (Edited)
more info

Not really had a play with the software yet. Just done the basic stuff like reading codes and resetting them. I reset all the codes again last night and drove 15 miles to work today and the engine management light has not come back on yet.

Whatever is causing it to come on is obviously taking some time to diagnose a fault. initially I was thinking of oxygen sensors as these generally do take a while to decide that there is a fault and come on. if it were something serious then I would expect the engine management light to come on again straight away.

just found this excellent description of how the oxygen sensors work

"The fuel/air mixture is calculated from measurements made (primarily) from the Mass Airflow Meters (MAF's) and the air-intake temperature. These measurements are used to set the injector duration from a set of tables held in the computers. To get the mixture exactly right there are Lambda sensors in each exhaust that samples the Oxygen level to fine-tune the injector duration (and hence the correct fuel/air mixture). The adjustment that the Lambda sensors can demand is called the Adaptations. These adjustments are limited and once this limit is reached the OBD light will illuminate and error codes stored. If the adaptations have reached their limits it means that there is some problem with the ability to produce the correct fuel/air mixture. This can be due to bad measurements (air temperature, poor MAF reading) or it could be due to an air-leak which will make the mixture too lean."

this is very interesting as I had the two error codes

#29= Additive Adaption Bank 2 Control Reached

#14 · (Edited)
Tony,

Just got a reply back from EndTuning.

This is the table to use-

http://www.endtuning.com/bmwcodes.html/DME 7.2

You've got two lambda sensors reporting the air fuel mix is out of range,
and the reason would be the camshaft sensor on bank 2.
I don't have any details for the ZKE, and the aircon unit could a couple of
things, like the blower motor, battery voltage and maybe others.

Thanks.

Enda Ward
EndTuning

Looks like I was on the right track, However his link doesn't work, but is the same I posted above.

From the looks of it, the #114 sensor needs to be replaced, and as for #28 & 29 - Sounds like a MAF sensor or a vacuum leak? Sounds like there is a air and fuel mixture issue.
#29= Additive Adaption Bank 1 Control Reached = Still hunting down more detail of issue.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#114 = Camshaft position Bank 2

This is the Correct Link
01 Basic cotrol unit DME ME7.2/ FLASH 1 09/2000 10/2002
http://www.endtuning.com/bmwcodes.html#DME 7.2

Regards,

~Mud/Chris

#15 · (Edited)
More info

Hi chris

How would the cam shaft sensor affect the readings from the oxygen sensors?

I think bank 2 is the drivers side?

I have found one on eBay for £11.95 - I will buy this and replace it anyway for the cost.

I am going to have a general look around the engine bay tomorrow and check for vacuum leaks and clean the MAF sensor

I have been doing some research today trying to match up the dec codes with the "P" codes. this is what I have so far

114/8 - P0345 - cam shaft position sensor 'A' circuit bank 2
28/255 - P1158 - fuel trim adaptation additive low bank 1
29/255 - P1158 - fuel trim adaptation additive low bank 2
26/66 - P0171 - system too rich bank 1
40/1 - P0420 - catylist system efficiency below threshold bank 1
160/36 - ????? - O2 sensor bank 2 sensor 2 ?????? not sure on this one

I read today that 26, 28, 29, 40 can all be down to vacuum leaks at the inlet manifold or a dirty / faulty MAF sensor

do you agree with the codes?

Tony

#16 · (Edited)
Hi Tony,

Don't forget that the #114 issue is separate from #28 & 29 and due to it's meaning and origin faults to a Cam sensor in bank 2. And from what I read on other posts points in that direction.

As far as our assumption of a Vacuum issue... I would agree.

Those two error codes means that the adaptive system has tried as hard as it can to get the fuel/air mixture right but has failed miserably. This is because there is something else influencing the mixture that cannot be trimmed out. The most likely thing is the PCV valve or the MAF. The Idle-Speed control Valve will be the same problem, it cannot trim the air supply sufficiently, probably because of an air-leak.

Your guess is as good as mine.

As for the 160 code... could be a faulty O2, however if there is a vacuum or insufficient fuel and air mixture, this could be a faulty code directly linked to the Vacuum and fuel/air issue after the fact. To find a possible vacuum leak, use WD40 with small amounts in certain suspected areas.

Out of curiosity... and without checking into it yet (Which I will when I get back) Do you have a DISA unit on your vehicle? It would be located adjacent to the Intake.

Hope to get this solved.:thumbup:

~Mud/Chris

#20 · (Edited)
Yes, the MAF is located just after the Air Filter box. Not sure if you have a secondary or not.

With WD40, I would check all vacuum and intake areas, Intake boot, throttle body etc. You don't need much but a short burst in one small area, waiting a short bit and moving on. If you find something, you will notice and RPM change while the engine is running at idle.

Cheers & Good Luck!

~Mud/Chris

Attachments

#21 ·
fault codes

Is it possible that the following fault codes can all be down to a vacuum leak on the crank case vent hoses?

regards

tony

#22 ·
Fault codes

If anyone is interested - I replaced both crankcase vent hoses as they were totally destroyed and installed a new cam shaft position sensor and all of the fault codes have now gone - whoop whoop

114/8 - P0345 - cam shaft position sensor 'A' circuit bank 2
160/36 - ????? - O2 sensor bank 2 sensor 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.