BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

About to purchase a 2009 bmw x5d

Tags
35d bmw x5
6K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  ard 
#1 ·
anything i should know? maintenance? does it have to be charged every month if im living in cold conditions in canada? ive never owned a diesel vehicle before, any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

#3 ·
Do a quick search. Lots of stuff have come up.

It's a general rule of thumb to avoid first MY BMW's, which are the '09s because of initial issues
Fixed for accuracy. :p

Aside from the brutal iDrive that was updated for MY '10, I'm not sure you're going to want to hear some of the potential issues due to our climate up here. Will it be garaged always? In extreme cold temperatures, ie. colder than -30 C, we have had issues with the urea delivery system freezing up (exact same issue with our Mercedes ML320 Bluetec).

We've also make sure all of the recalls have been performed as there are multiple emissions issues. My opinion is that our cold weather has contributed to many of the exhaust problems. Again the Mercedes was no better, but at least our service experience with Calgary BMW has been exceptional.

#5 ·
2009 X5 35D Issues

In short, just about everything on my X535D has had problems. I purchased it new in 2009. I'm really disappointed in the quality & reliability. Great to drive when its running, but it spends a lot of time in the shop. Buy an extended warranty & save your money for constant repairs when the warranty runs out.

#7 ·
No BS, Fact. Been back multiple times for defects with DEF System, Intake System, Interior Electronics, Electrical Battery System Failures, Emmission Control Components Failures and several other things. No BS, fact that can be backe up with service slips accumulated over the last 3 years. If you have had good reliabilty, then knock on wood and pray that your luck does not run out.

#8 ·
Pretty funny.

I deal with statistics a lot. A lot. And one of those funny truths is that to the INDIVIDUAL, the stats dont matter. A doctor comes into the room, with MRI and blood tests in hand. He explains you have cancer. But not jsut any cancer, bu a super rare, one- only seen in one out of a million. Do you take solace in this? no, all it does is make you feel like the most unlucky person in the world.

But back to cars- for Joe, the 2009 is a 100% dog. For apw, the 2009 is a 100% champ.

Having said this, Joe- if there is a 2009 that has been running perfectly, with only BMW maintenance, should this be avoided in the used market? In other words, haven't most of the 2009, 2010 diesel issues been worked out? And if they havent been worked out, wouldn't the 'bad ones' with ongoing service records be identifiable?

Just thinking....

#9 · (Edited)
I just bought an 09 X5 35d in Calgary as well, I love it so far I have also read some horror stories but I would assume the previous owner worked out most of the issues by now.

I went to ECUProgramer in Calgary and got a tune done and it made a night and day difference....now I am debating going and getting extended warranty or back to ECUProgrammer to remove the DPF and get a stage III tune that increases power/torque by 100/115.

Looks like a few Calgary 35d's on here we should have a meet.

#10 ·
I just bought an 09 X5 35d in Calgary as well, I love it so far I have also read some horror stories but I would assume the previous owner worked out most of the issues by now.

I went to ECUProgramer in Calgary and got a tune done and it made a night and day difference....now I am debating going and getting extended warranty or back to ECUProgrammer to remove the DPF and get a stage III tune that increases power/torque by 100/115.

Looks like a few Calgary 35d's on here we should have a meet.
nice! what did you get done in the tune? im actually thinking of getting extended warranty this week how much should that be in alberta 4k?

#11 ·
I got ECUPrograms stage I it think he said it adds 40hp and 65ftlbs it is very noticeable gains anyway. Now I want his stage II he removes the DPF and gets +60hp 100ftlbs but I am going to wait until warranty is up for that. I have got warranty work with the stage I it cost $800 for the tune I am not sure what ext warranty costs let me know when you find out I am considering it as well.

#13 ·
"Right" is whatever they think they can hoodwink you into paying.... shop around.

#19 ·
pretty sure any BMW dealer in Canada would work....

#21 ·
In the US, it works that way..***** it from ANY bmw dealer in any state. Every dealer in north america must honor it. (Keep in mind that it is BMWNA that is paying the bills.. NOT your local dealer.)

You MIGHT even contact US dealers and see if they can sell it to you- a Spopnsor here has pretty good prices. Not sure what the rules are, but worth an ask

A

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.