BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2007 E92 Brakes squeal when soft pressure applied but not with hard braking

15K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  iRingo! 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 2007 E92 coupe with about 49,000 miles on it. I just had an alignment done at the dealership about 1,000 miles ago right after I had new Michelin PS2 ZPs installed on the car. Ever since (or so it seems), the brakes have been squealing whenever light to moderate braking is applied. However, this problem does not happen whenever I brake heavily.

I took it to the local BMW dealership (BMW of Corpus Christi) and told them of the problem when I had my oil changed (under the service contract). They told me that they measured the brakes and that the car is not reporting that they need to be changed so the warranty/service agreement didn't apply. They told me that it could be because the brakes are dirty (doubtful). I insisted that there was obviously something wrong because the brakes have never made any such noise before. The car is still under warranty, so are they just brushing me off because they don't want to deal with a warranty issue? Should I just take it to another dealership?

Best regards,
Troy

#3 ·
I have the same issue. Service manager unsympathetic. I'm no squeal expert, but I'd put it in the high pitched, run of the mill brake squeal. There's a non-sweet spot in the brake pedal which causes the squeal. Any softer or any harder you don't hear it. I haven't been hearing it recently since it's cold and I have the windows up. I notice it in the warmer months when I tend to have windows and sunroof open.

I think the service manager said it's dirty brake sensors, and they can clean them, but it will come back. I wonder if the allegedly newly formulated pads for 2010's resolves this issue (less dust)?

#5 ·
Dirty brake sensors? OMFG!

I am guessing the squeal is the vibration of the pad in the caliper. One can add a gel-like anti-squeal compound ot the caliper side of the pads to ameliorate this.

#9 ·
I think you're wrong, bedding is for new breaks/rotors not for used ones basically you can't re-bed (unless you get new pads and resurface the rotor). Also the bedding procedure is not universal, for example the BMW breaks require soft breaking in the first 200 miles ( per manual) while for example hawk performance breaks require several hard breaks followed by a cool down.

#10 ·
It worked when I unevenly coated my rotors after I melted my OEM pads at the track. That was on an M3 though, so it might be different, and it took a regime over a week or two to get rid of the shuddering.

I think the anti-squeal gel is the way to go.

#11 ·
Hard pads will squeal while soft pads wear quickly and leave lots of dust, you have your choice. The only way to eliminate the squeal is to move the frequency higher so that you don't hear it. Shims behind each pad or a high temp silicone sealant usually work.

I think that brake squeal was a common characteristic of German cars in the past so it's not surprising to have this symptom.

#13 ·
Well thank god for forums, I just purchased a 07 328i with 27000 miles and driving home tonight I noticed a squealing coming from the pads. I had the music turn down so I figure I may have never heard'em as I normally have the music cranked up. Sooo is this a common issue with the E90s?? I have a sedan not coupe, I plan on taking it to the dealer tomorrow so any input would be appreciated guys/gals.

Spanks!:p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.