BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2007-2010 X3 Automatic Transmission Problem Master Thread!

792K views 2K replies 282 participants last post by  hoppydidit 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm making this a sticky and merging all new AT threads from the main page into this one (I can not move older threads into this one because it will insert the previous messages above/before this post).

Thanks to AzNMpower32 for this summary:

The problem: A portion of 2007-08 X3s built between 9/2006 and 11/2007 my have possible faulty transmission software programming. This affects X3s equipped with the 6-speed automatic gearbox. The gearbox may fail to respond to throttle inputs, fail to engage a lower gear, or downshift very roughly in normal Drive mode. The problem is not exhibited in manual mode. Cold temperatures may or may not make the shifting quality worse.

The BMW fix There is a software update, this is the latest release as of 10/07

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B24 08 07 dated May 2007.

SUBJECT
GM6 - Various Transmission and Driveability Complaints MODEL
E83 (X3) with 6L45R (GM6) automatic transmission produced from 8/2006 up to 10/2007

SITUATION
The customer may complain of transmission shift quality or driveability issues, as described in the situations below:

1. There is a delay in throttle response through the 1-2 upshift when accelerating from a stop.
2. There is a lack of power or hesitation when reapplying throttle, during either a 4-3 or 3-2 tip-in downshift. This may occur after slowing with a closed throttle.
3. Harsh downshifts when slowing on a roadway with a rising gradient (EGS is in a hill program).

CAUSES
EGS software calibration DME software calibration

CORRECTION
In the event of a customer complaint, reprogram the EGS using only Progman V27.02.00 or higher. The latest X3 EGS software may be identified as: 0489RZ0RS450 R0FN10 using the following diagnosis path:

Control-module functions / EGS transmission control Diagnosis requests / Status, data reference

It is important that the DME is also at the latest software level. Refer to SI B12 17 07 for more information concerning the DME software identification and improvements.

DO NOT perform the transmission adaptation under Service Functions, as prompted on the Progman screen. This test module is not functional and will be removed in a future DIS DVD release.

Always refer to SI B 24 11 07 for more information regarding GM6 transmission terminology, adaptation functionality, and adaptation procedures. Important notes:

* The transmission must be in the "Park" position, otherwise the programming may abort with the following error:

EGS ***8211;Diagnostic trouble 2089 (COAPI) - Programming mode changeover faulty

* Only use an approved BMW battery charger set to PS (Power Supply) mode and properly configured for the applicable battery AH rating.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Please refer to the latest KSD for all applicable labor operations and allowances. If the appropriate labor operation is not contained in KSD, then a work time labor operation should be used.

Defect Code 24 00 38 61 00
Please post all future complaints and/or attempted resolutions on this thread! Thank you.

#1,676 ·
Transmission failure indicator light on, car moving slowly!

Just towed my 04 X3 from phx to Tx about 15 hours with a couple of overnighters. Anyway, I back the car off the dolly and start to drive but somethings not right, cars tranny's acting weird, pressing gas but responding well at all and I think I smell burning rubber, a little. I also notice the auto transmission failure indicator light is on as well. OMG What have I done? The manual said to put it in park, turn it off, apply hand brake, turn off few seconds, then restart. Said it should reset itself? really? Can anyone help, with this happening we are having to drive the 16ft penski rental truck w empty car dolly in Tx looking for hotel that allows pets. Are you kidding me. Any the worst part of it, it feels like Im in a freaking sauna. Im from Az and love the heat........... dry heat,,,,,, this is bullsht, humidity is insane, I hate walking from the house to your car and needing a shower. really?

#1,681 ·
Just towed my 04 X3 from phx to Tx about 15 hours with a couple of overnighters. Anyway, I back the car off the dolly and start to drive but somethings not right, cars tranny's acting weird, pressing gas but responding well at all and I think I smell burning rubber, a little. I also notice the auto transmission failure indicator light is on as well. OMG What have I done? The manual said to put it in park, turn it off, apply hand brake, turn off few seconds, then restart. Said it should reset itself? really? Can anyone help, with this happening we are having to drive the 16ft penski rental truck w empty car dolly in Tx looking for hotel that allows pets. Are you kidding me. Any the worst part of it, it feels like Im in a freaking sauna. Im from Az and love the heat........... dry heat,,,,,, this is bullsht, humidity is insane, I hate walking from the house to your car and needing a shower. really?
You used a dolly instead of a trailer/flatbed to tow?

#1,677 · (Edited)
Transmission failure indicator light on, car moving slowly!

Just towed my 04 X3 from phx to Tx about 15 hours with a couple of overnighters. Anyway, I back the car off the dolly and start to drive but somethings not right, cars tranny's acting weird, pressing gas notresponding well at all and I think I smell burning rubber, a little. I also notice the auto transmission failure indicator light is on as well. OMG What have I done? The manual said to put it in park, turn it off, apply hand brake, turn off few seconds, then restart. Said it should reset itself? really? Can anyone help, with this happening we are having to drive the 16ft penski rental truck w empty car dolly in Tx looking for hotel that allows pets. Are you kidding me. Any the worst part of it, it feels like Im in a freaking sauna. Im from Az and love the heat........... dry heat,,,,,, this is bullsht, humidity is insane, I hate walking from the house to your car and needing a shower. really?

#1,678 ·
you are in the wrong section Leannaluv? this if for 07+ autos only. repost in the general X3 forum.
kev

#1,683 ·
Transmission Service

Hi Guys

Just a update on my x3 3.0d 2007 model. There was a huge leak from the middle of the car around where the transmission is when ever the car was parked on a incline. The oil that leaked wasnt red as the ATF but black. Had the car in to get the front Diff, Transfer case and ATF oil replaced with a new filter and seems like the tranny was leaking oil which has been fixed.

With the oil change the car is so much smother when it comes to gear changes. During the diagnostics there were errors for 2 glow plugs and the glow plug control unit, DPF error as well. The mechanic recommended that i get the oil changed with a new filter and PCV value as well as that might resolve the DPF error. After i bought the car i noticed at cold starts when i start it up and drive it around and say i stop at a light for a minute after about 30 seconds with the gear on D and my foot on the brake the engine starts vibrating a lot as much as shaking the car and when i let go of the brake and just let the car roll on D the car is very jerky until i accelerate and the vibration goes away. The mechanic that i took the car to said that i could be related to the PCV value again. Another mechanic i took it to told me that one of the Injectors isnt working and that is what it might be.

Any hints on this issue guys??? I am seriously considering selling this as the repair bill here in australia are huge for these things. SO far i have been quoted $1000 for the PCV value, oil, filter replacement, IF its the DPF then another $2000 and if its the injector with the glow plugs at $2400, Glow plug replacement alone would cols around $700.

Any hints on this issue guys??? or should i just trade it in for a brand new Toyota that i know would las tme a life time with no issues...

#1,684 ·
Hi Guys

Just a update on my x3 3.0d 2007 model. There was a huge leak from the middle of the car around where the transmission is when ever the car was parked on a incline. The oil that leaked wasnt red as the ATF but black. Had the car in to get the front Diff, Transfer case and ATF oil replaced with a new filter and seems like the tranny was leaking oil which has been fixed.

With the oil change the car is so much smother when it comes to gear changes. During the diagnostics there were errors for 2 glow plugs and the glow plug control unit, DPF error as well. The mechanic recommended that i get the oil changed with a new filter and PCV value as well as that might resolve the DPF error. After i bought the car i noticed at cold starts when i start it up and drive it around and say i stop at a light for a minute after about 30 seconds with the gear on D and my foot on the brake the engine starts vibrating a lot as much as shaking the car and when i let go of the brake and just let the car roll on D the car is very jerky until i accelerate and the vibration goes away. The mechanic that i took the car to said that i could be related to the PCV value again. Another mechanic i took it to told me that one of the Injectors isnt working and that is what it might be.

Any hints on this issue guys??? I am seriously considering selling this as the repair bill here in australia are huge for these things. SO far i have been quoted $1000 for the PCV value, oil, filter replacement, IF its the DPF then another $2000 and if its the injector with the glow plugs at $2400, Glow plug replacement alone would cols around $700.

Any hints on this issue guys??? or should i just trade it in for a brand new Toyota that i know would las tme a life time with no issues...
$1000 for PVC plus oil and filter seems cheap. Not a dealer I assume.

I am not where near an expert but during reading on other more diesel based forums the DPF typically will cause a loss of power and inability to rev out if blocked. No reports of idling issues that are DPF related I have seen. Same forums tell how to remove and clean the DPF. The DPF is a lifetime product btw so your vehicle must have had a hard life with no runs long enough for exhaust and engine temperature to get high enough to re-generate it IF it is blocked.
With respect to glow plugs I would have thought they are only used at engine start and not during running - so what you have described does not make sense to me.
An injector not working on the other hand would cause rough idle.
I would recommend getting all codes cleared then re-read after you have the above issues - just in case something else is going on. e.g. low battery during cranking causing codes that have hung around. ie I notice in my reviewing of codes using INPA and a OBD cable that some have no mileage history attached just a count number so hard to tell when they occurred.

Good luck.

ps the above is not so relevant to this thread and maybe an admin might move it.

#1,685 ·
OK... I just bought a beautiful 2008 X3 and have noticed some of the symptoms described in this thread. But it is a GIANT thread! Can someone post the latest relevant TSB or SIB and perhaps also the quick 'check' that I have noticed mentioned, but cannot find in these 68 pages.

Thanks!

#1,686 ·
I can tell you if you drive the vehicle, slow down to about 15 mph (this puts it at about second gear where the problem occurs) then make a quick uphill right turn that if it hunts for a gear and lurches slightly that its got the problem and if you ask the SA if it has the latest TSB (and it actually does) then there is no fixing it. This however works under the premise that you have a knowledgeable and straight forward sales person that will be honest and want to build a relationship and not a quick sale.

This is not going to guarantee it's ok as this often happens when the car starts cold during winter months.

Don't know the latest TSB as after getting 13 "updates" they finally gave in and did a trade assist to an MT for me. Good Luck.

#1,687 ·
Updated software under CPO warranty

Hi folks,

I haven't had much for issues with my '07 X3 but I do notice the shifting is rather harsh at times, especially when slowing down around 10-20 MPH. I am a second owner but I don't believe the original owner got the software updated to address the issue ya'll have been talking about.

My question is, has anyone tried to get this update covered under a CPO warranty? The original warranty is out but I'm on CPO for another year. A quick call to one of the BMW dealers gave me a quote of almost $400 to do the update and said it would take all day. I'm interested in getting it but seems like a "power train" issue which the CPO warranty SHOULD cover. Just wondering how hard it's going to be to convince BMW of that.

Thanks,

seismik

#1,688 ·
Hi folks,

I haven't had much for issues with my '07 X3 but I do notice the shifting is rather harsh at times, especially when slowing down around 10-20 MPH. I am a second owner but I don't believe the original owner got the software updated to address the issue ya'll have been talking about.

My question is, has anyone tried to get this update covered under a CPO warranty? The original warranty is out but I'm on CPO for another year. A quick call to one of the BMW dealers gave me a quote of almost $400 to do the update and said it would take all day. I'm interested in getting it but seems like a "power train" issue which the CPO warranty SHOULD cover. Just wondering how hard it's going to be to convince BMW of that.

Thanks,

seismik
The dealer should be able to cover it for you. I had mine done under factory warranty, however.

#1,692 ·
After reading through all of the 68 pages, after noticing the problem with the 2007 X3 I bought last week, it seems as if the issue is still unresolved. Firstly, does the BMW dealer charge to check and see if your vehicle has the latest update? Secondly, if mines do require the update, and since it seems to be a BMW issue, do I have to pay for it? I really like it and would hate to have to get something else, but if I have to, I want to get it corrected while I'm still protected against buying a lemon. Btw I am knew here and this is my first BMW don't want it to be a bad experience for me...

#1,697 · (Edited)
I want to get it corrected while I'm still protected against buying a lemon. Btw I am knew here and this is my first BMW don't want it to be a bad experience for me...
I am not sure the laws in NJ but I know in California you have no such protection on a used vehicle. Lemon laws only cover the vehicle during the original bumper to bumper factory warranty. In addition this is a no cooling off state.

My advice would be to double check your options while you are perusing solutions. In addition you can have the BMW dealer print the service history. You might find a pattern of reported issues with tranny that you can use to help your case if you are still protected by lemon laws or buy back.

#1,693 ·
The dealer will not charge to let you know which software you have. Since you just bought it, let them know about the issue. They should be able to install updated software or at a minimum reset the adaptive learning.

It should be no charge since you just bought it, but some will charge you for it.

#1,698 ·
I was in the same situation as you - bought a 2007 X3 in WA state in September. I took it into the dealer and they will check your software for free - if it needs an update they will probably charge you $130 or so. That was the quote I got but didn't need the update. Instead they just reset the adaptive learning for me for free. The other dealer I called wanted to charge $350 for the update if needed (so they didn't get a visit).

I still find the downshifting harsh at very speed - 3 to 2nd I think is the bad one but you get used to it. Shifting up isn't much of an issue for me anymore but took some time to adjust to that sensitive gas pedal.

#1,700 ·
What about the newer X3's, like 09's and '10's + do they have these issues?

#1,701 ·
#1,707 ·
Had my '07 in today and asked them to make sure the software is up to. They did update it and what a difference. I shifts much quicker & more precisely now. It doesn't hold onto gears as stubbornly as it used to for sure.

Time will tell but so far, it's a noticeable improvement. :thumbup:

#1,708 ·
Need help understanding the AT issue

Hi Everyone,

Completely new here and first post. I'll preface with the fact that yes, i'm a "soccer mom", and not repair lingo savy. however, i'm not car naive either. I've read through almost the entire thread (forgive me for skipping over a few, it's 65+ pages) and feel like i have a good bit of information. Here's my situation.
i currently have a 325 with 180K miles. I'm a road warrior and have had zero issues until recenlty, and i feel like it's started falling apart... so i think it's time to get rid of it and get into a new one (well, used).
I'm in the market for a 2007 x3. I saw two options, the first that i drove felt flawless, but to behonest i'm not a fan of the silver w/ black interior. superficial, i know. The 2nd one, that i LOVE (white/beige) had all the bells and whistles, but made me hesitatnt during test drive. It had the exact sypmtoms mentioned here. i have a "heavy foot", and when i test drive, the first thing i do is check it's get up and go. (my 325 always feels powerful with quick acceleration). This one felt like it had some pauses- not upon intial acceleration, but a few seconds into it, and again on deceleration approaching a stop- both only at low speeds. I don't know if i'm explaining it right. my husband instantly said that feels like a transmission issue, and that it's not shifting/finding the gears properly. so i did a little search which lead me here.
I've asked the dealership to look into it for me, but am worried about all the run around people seem to have had. i specifically called back and mentioned the software updates and asked that they specifically look into that.
It seems like many people have had resolution with the softward updates (if this is it), but i haven't seen too many recent posts. I'm concerned that if this IS the issue, and they are able to update it and i test drive again and it feels OK, that it will come back.
does anyone have anymore recent updates on theirs?
my husband is pushing the one that drives "cleaner", but i just can't commit to it...
Either way I'll have them checked out by my own mechanic (BMW shop), but you guys seem to know so much on this forum that i'm reaching out here too!
I also had a question that may be naive...you all said this applies to the GM6s. are there any 07's that AREN'T the GM6? how can i tell? concerned the sivler one that drives nice now could also have the problem in the future... Thanks so much!

#1,709 ·
Just had a complete software update to my 07... What a difference! Car shifts better and the turning downshift hesitation is gone. I'm also getting measurably better gas mileage. Oh, and the head unit now remembers at it has an AUX function.

The update was well worth the $200 charge from my independent. They just spent over $30k to update their BMW diagnostic system, so while it was a lot of money I understand.

Can't wait to dive it again, and to see what the average MPG is over a full tank.

#1,711 ·
Latest software upgrade really helped. There were something like 30 different systems that they updated.

Damned new logic for the intermittent wipers is not an improvement, but does show how much changed.

#1,712 ·
Slight Rumble in 1st gear

Hi all,

First post, so here goes,

I have a 2006 X3 3.0d, with 56k on the clock, I have recently noticed a faint rumbling, or 2 or three light thunks when gently pulling away, once in 2nd no sounds or problems. The car has been well looked after, and serviced. This noise only becomes noticable after 2 or three miles from cold. It also rumbles a bit when slowing down gently from about 10mph.

my question is, Does this indicate a mechanical gearbox problem, or something that could be caused by thin transmission oil, in the transfer box, what are the symptoms of a bmw requiring a transfer box oil change. or could it be something else ?

Many thanks, and a great source of information,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.