BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Did this fall from my car?

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  coolbho3k 
#1 ·
I was driving and suddenly I heard a noise. Turns out I was dragging this suspension part :rofl:

WTF is this thing? I know my suspension had been rattling a bit when in rough roads but I assumed it was some issue with the anti-roll bar. :dunno: Did I hit this thing and drag it for a few hundred feet or did it fall out from under my vehicle?

See less See more
#4 ·
Looks like the sway bar end link. Look for one on the opposite side of the car and you will see a matching one.

Car will drive the same under normal driving. The sway bar, and end links help handling during aggressive cornering.
Should be a pretty simple fix, unless the end link damaged something else. Just bolt in a new one.

#7 ·
Marking in second photo looks to be an aftermarket part. I wonder if you ran over this part in the road and then it hung up in your chassis. The noise might be the rsult. Either that or someone put an aftermarket part on this car and then the rest is what you all have been discussing. Says US patent XXXXXX, brand name CTR or CTD.

#10 ·
Marking in second photo looks to be an aftermarket part. ... Says US patent XXXXXX, brand name CTR or CTD.
Could easily be original equipment--the E9X 3 Series had about 5% US/Canadian parts content. That figure may have varied year to year but was never zero.

#12 ·
When I was ordering a replacement wheel lock key for the fifth time, parts guy at the dealership confirmed that it looked like a sway bar link part from my MY that would have been used, so I'll trust him. :rolleyes: Especially since the clunking got worse today so I'll stop driving it until I replace it. :yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.