BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2005 E90 Early Model Audio Headaches

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  floydarogers 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all, first time post so please go easy :) I have also spent a few hours trawling through these forums collating info but am in need of some assistance.

Firstly, let me say that I am loving these forums. Great that so many passionate and knowledgable people are helping each other out :)

I am in the UK and have just bought a RHD 2005 E90 325i (dealer launch car) which has iDrive, BMW Professional Navigation (CD and DVD slots in dashboard) with a 6 CD changer in the boot - all standard from new.

I have been looking into options for upgrading various components as the sound quality is poor, I have no USB or iPhone/iPod control etc and have come across the following problems:

1. MP3 playback. None of my drives will play MP3s in the car. Not the dash CD, dash DVD or 6 CD changer. :( I have been reading a few posts that say that an iDrive software update may fix this but when I spoke to my local dealer (who originally sold the car back in 2005) they said I have no way of doing this with the BMW hardware. They suggested I try after-market providers. Is this right?

2. Poor sound quality. I have two speakers in the front door (mids), two tweaters also in the front doors and two in the rear shelf (not sure about subs under back seat but have read on here that they should be there). The sound is poor from these and I read that I could use the Alpine speaker & Amp upgrade to make things better (two mids, two tweaters and an amp upgrade). My dealer just said that this counldn't go on my car. Is this right?

3. iPhone integration. I have the bluetooth integration installed and I love being able to make and receive calls in the car. Works a treat :) However, I was hoping that there was an easy solution to integrating the iPod functions into the car controls and sat nav screen etc but again the dealer said that they could install a glove-box cable that would charge the iPhone and control through the car controls but at the cost of no longer being able to use the 6 CD changer in the boot. This is again at odds with what I have read here. I was considering going with a Dension Gateway 500 to get around this as this now sounds like my best option as I only have an Aux In in the central armrest (though an iPhone charging cradle for a 3G is installed there too it doesn't work with the iPhone 4 - I know a new iPhone cradle is about to come out but again this won't help with iPod control).

Pulling my hair out a little and am hoping that a few of you can give my some guidance on one or more of the above. I would really appreciate it.

Please let me know if any more detail / part numbers / options etc are required to make things clearer and thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
The answer to your 1 and 3 questions is the same... your iDrive is very "old" so the only MP3 that you can play with it is thru an iPod/AUX connection. The OEM iPod connection will display MP3 tags and Playlists in your screen, so that could take care of your iPhone integration. Unfortunately OEM iPod integration uses the same CD Changer port so it is either one or the other.

The OEM USB integration is not available for your 2005 iDrive, it is only from 2007-on.

The Dension Gateway 500 is a much better device than the OEM iPod integration.

Answer to question 2: your OEM system seems to be HiFi (OEM amp in the trunk, 10 speakers) therefore the Alpine kit is not applicable as it is for the Stereo system (no OEM amp, 6-speakers). You could directly replace the OEM amp in your car with aftermarket, especifically with the JL Audio XD600/6 and this harness without cutting, splicing, or tapping any OEM wires: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486152

That will be enough to improve your sound quality, unless your OEM speakers are not good anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.