BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Audi Q7 TDI

3K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Snipe656 
#1 ·
#2 ·
You've been living under a rock?:rofl:

We've been posting comparisons with the X5, Q7, ML350 BT and GL350 BL, Cayenne, Touareg, etc...:stickpoke

#3 ·
An excellent choice if you really need that third row -- that real adults (or large teens) can use. The new ones get the uprated 240 hp diesel with the 8 speed that are found in the other VA(P) large diesels for 2013. If you don't need the third row, then check out the new T-egg -- the bargain of the bunch. Same drivetrain as the new Cayenne diesel at about half the price. Well, maybe two thirds the price.:rofl:

#4 ·

Just picked up a 2013 Touareg TDI exec. SWEET ride. I actually like it better than my beloved X5d that I turned in. Quick, smooth, 8-speed trans, NO RATTLES, handles great (and I had adaptive drive in my X5), and much better electronics inside. Considered the Cayenne TDI, but VW has exact same drivetrain, 100k powertrain warranty, and includes 3 years of service for $25k+ less....Could not justify the extra $$ for the same drivetrain......

#13 ·
I now have over 22k miles on my 2011 Touareg TDI. The build quality is superlative, not a single squeak or rattle or problem of any kind.

The fuel economy on the open road is impressive to say the least. I have taken several trips with a 37 mpg (hand calculated) result. See fuelly for details if interested.

#8 ·
So far, only about 600 mi on it. I have been averaging 24mpg with 70/30 city/hwy. My X5 got no better than 21.5mpg on mixed driving with the 19 in rims, and 20mpg on the 20 in rims. My VW has 20 in rims, so it seems to be more efficient....The VW has a 25ish gallon diesel tank, so has about 700 mi range. We'll be taking it to Tahoe over New Year, so will see how it does on the highway....

It feels as strong as the X5 as far as accelerating off the line and passing at speed. It has a much quieter cabin than the X5, including engine sound, wind noise, and tire noise. No rattles inside whatsoever. Pretty much no diesel noise (I liked the noise on the X5) heard in the cabin. When accelerating, it sounds more throaty, almost like you would have removed an air filter to get more of that throaty sound.....

It feels solid on the road, and handles very well. My old X5 had adaptive drive, so I feel a bit more lean in the VW. Nonetheless, it handles very well and feels solid and well planted on the road.....

Comfort wise, the seats are very comfortable. The sport seats in my X5 may have been slightly more comfortable and offer a bit more lateral support, but harder to get in and out of. The steering wheel is thick like the sport wheel on my X5, and has a good feel to it. The steering is variable, so at low speed it is very light and easy to turn, and it stiffens up as you pick up speed. Road feel is not as good as the X5, but is is pretty good nonetheless.

The electronics in the VW blow away the X5 (and my wife's current 2012 F10). Touch screen NAV is great! Voice commands are easy to use. Radio sounds a lot better. There is a temperature gauge, which I like. Front parking sensors are always on, so when I am parking head in, they beep when I get close to something. On the X5, The sensors only come on if you put in reverse or turn them on manually....

The VW has a spare tire, which I like. Strangely, there is no dipstick, but there is a tube present for the dipstick with a rubber stopper (instead of a dipstick), so I can order the dipstick from a 2012 model and it is compatible. Even if I don't get a dipstick, I like that the tube is there so when I do my own oil change, I can use an oil extractor. The oil filter is at the top of the engine as well.

Mirrors "auto-fold" when doors are locked, which I like.

The VW came from factory with a tow hitch that looks like it really belongs there, unlike the X5 where they have to hack away the rear bumper plastic to mount the hitch....

The VW has a 100k mile powertrain warranty, which is awesome. Also 3 years of maintenance is included...

A couple of minor things I am not crazy about. The rear windows don't roll all the way down, so 3-4 inches of glass remain visible with the windows "all the way down". The steering wheel heater does not have a button on the steering wheel, so you have to turn it on through the touchscreen NAV display...Easy to do, but not as convenient as a button on the steering wheel. I don't think the VW has a ceramic heater like the X5, so takes longer to heat up in the morning. Also, there is a fuel filler restrictor, like on the X5...

I was also thinking of waiting for the Q5 diesel, but WAY too many on the road around here (as well as X5s, Cayennes, Q7s). The Q5 is also a bit small for my needs (kids, etc), and more like the size of X3...

I don't see too many Touaregs on the road, unlike the X5, X3, Audi, Cayenne. I figure at the price point of the VW, people may go for the badge. I think the VW is a very understated, and has a lot of great features and luxuries similar to the "brands"....

I highly recommend it. I see you are in Silicon Valley. I can let you know where I got mine and the price if you send me a PM. I got a great deal, considering it is a 2013......

#10 ·
Congrats on the Touareg. I researched it at great length and almost bought one last year. I'm a huge VAG fan.

You're getting better MPG due to the 8 speed automatic. It's an awesome unit.

And the Touareg TDI does have a electric ceramic heater, like the BMW. If it's anything like my old '10 Jetta TDI, you have to put the heater on high and you can actually hear it working because there's an audible clicking noise behind the dash.

I decided against the Touareg due to poor T1/T2 reliability, crappy VW dealers, and the Touareg has poor resale value next to the X5.

#9 ·
spyder, thank you for the review. We test drove the T-reg TDI (both 2012 and 2013 models) extensively before deciding to get another X5. What we really liked about the T-reg was the lack of engine noise at idle, speed sensitive steering, 7,700 lb towing capacity and the bigger trunk space, especially when you slide the back seats forward. What became absolute deal killers for us were:
1. The flimsy sunroof screen (the engineer that designed that should be fired on the spot!). Just wait for the summer when that heat will radiate through that screen into the cabin. I sat in a slightly used T-reg and the screen had already wrinkled itself on the rollers. The screen does not belong in a $50k+ vehicle IMO.
2. Uncomfortable front seats. My wife is petite and she could not find a setting that was comfortable. We identified the problem as too long seating area, it ended right underneath her knee and she never felt good in the seats. No way we would be able to do long road trips in the T-reg.
3. Front styling. I understand it's a matter of taste, but when the Jetta, Passat and Touareg all look similar from the front, somebody has not put a thought into styling cues. IMO, a $50k+ vehicle has to look good from all angles, otherwise I will move on. Call me vain, but I am the one looking at the vehicle for 10+ years and it better look good :p
4. Aggressive pricing on the X5. Our new X5 cost the same as a Touareg Lux version (our choice), so in the end it was a no-brainer for us.

The Touareg is a fine vehicle and a worthy contender, but it just wasn't for us.

#18 ·
3. Front styling. I understand it's a matter of taste, but when the Jetta, Passat and Touareg all look similar from the front, somebody has not put a thought into styling cues.
I see this mentioned a lot, but I must say that pretty much every Bimmer looks the same from the front nowadays as well. Don't get me wrong, I still love the BMW brand. In fact, the wife is driving a 2012 535i, and it looks nice, drives pretty good, and she is perfectly happy in it.....

#14 ·
The Porsche Cayenne has plenty of fuel economy and torque.

#21 ·
The "corporate face" is a significant and important thing to the various marques. One of the early "major failures" was the Edsel -- the "face" became the butt of numerous jokes involving the Oldsmobile grill and an old maid in an asparagus patch.:rofl: A more recent failure was Subies foray into the vertical grille on their line -- which was quickly modified within one MY into a "normal" grille "face". Car makers like to have "evolutionary - not revolutionary" styling and the car's face is a big part of that. No surprise that VW's offerings all have "the look" as do the BMW, MB, ect, ect.:angel:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.