BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E90/E91/E92/E93 OEM Spare Tire source

956K views 709 replies 262 participants last post by  tcphoto 
#1 ·
I know the leather-Z kit has been out for a while. it just never sat right with me that a) it was almost 400 for the kit that fit the 335i ( tire + tools + spacer & bolts)
b) you needed to use a 15mm spacer to get it to work.

digging through the ETK, it looks like the leather-z spare is the spare from the E46 cab.
3.50BX17 ET:30

a little more digging shows that the E60 550i uses front brake rotors the same size (348mm) and thickness as the 335i. brake calipers look to be of approximate same size.

the compact spare for the 550i is:
4BX17 ET:18

the offset is close to that of the E46 spare plus spacer-- ET 15 for the E46 spare wheel + spacer vs ET 18

now the fun part. BMW sells a retrofit spare kit for the E60. it includes:

the wheel +tire diameter is within 2% of stock tires.

total price from tischer BMW, for the whole retrofit kit listed above, before shipping, is $239.

I've ordered up a set, will keep everyone posted as to if it works. if it doesnt, i have a new flower planter. if it does, a spare that works without having to deal with the spacer, and for a lower price.

See less See more
#519 ·
I just scored a new E60 compact spare tire and wheel off Craig's List for $50. I'm a happy camper that I don't have to shell out $200 for this thing just because I wanted to get rid of the run flats. BTW, I haven't seen any mention of lug bolts in this thread. Does that mean that the regular bolts on my E92 18" wheels will work with the steel wheel? Thanks.

#520 ·
yes, the stock wheelbolts will be fine ( bmw has pretty much used the same wheelbolts for most of their cars since the 90s, the E60 and E90 are the same)

#521 ·
I'm ready to put on a new set of non-run-flat tires and have a question regarding tire pressures: do I now ignore the posted tire pressures on the placard on our 335 and go with what the dealer recommends for the specific tires we will put on the car? As the tire pressures for the RFT's were fairly high, I am pretty sure those won't work for conventional tires, correct? Thanks!

#523 ·
I drive a 2009 E82 128i...

Does anyone know if the E60 spare wheel will directly bolt up without issues to my car?

I know the tire height is going to be slightly different but as long as I don't bolt it to the rear drive axle, I shouldn't have any issues, right?

I also have access to a full size spare from a 2006 330xi (17"). Same question: Will this wheel bolt directly to my car?

Thank you!

#525 ·
Sorry to bump up this thread but I was finally able to test out the spare tire after 2.5 years.
My wife had a flat on the rear right tire at work about 15 miles from home. The AAA guys fixed the spare and my wife got home last night without any issues. I took the car today to the tire shop to get a replacement.
Just wanted to commend Orient330 for his ingenuity. Tks mate. The E60 spare worked perfectly fine.

Attachments

#527 ·
BMW 335i Convertible 2009 tires

I have 2009 BMW 335i convertible with sports package. It has 24K miles. Front two tires have run out of all tread to safely drive. Back two tires can still run couple of years. I live in Louisiana. It does not snow. I am looking for tire to work in heat and rain. I would appreciate any good suggestion.

#529 · (Edited)
I have 2009 BMW 335i convertible with sports package. It has 24K miles. Front two tires have run out of all tread to safely drive. Back two tires can still run couple of years. I live in Louisiana. It does not snow. I am looking for tire to work in heat and rain. I would appreciate any good suggestion.
Don't mix and match run-flats and regular tires. Get rid off the rears on craiglist/ebay. Go to tirerack.com and have them ship to an authorized installer a set of non-RFT 4 Michelin Pilot PS2. Get the donut/spare kit as suggested in this thread (which I already have).That's what I do.

#528 ·
Go to Costco and take a look at both the Brigestone and Michellin tires that are not run flats. They will last longer, run quieter and cost only half as much as the run-flats. Keep your best run-flat-get a wheel and mount the tire -put in in trunk-buy a (BMW) jack and torgue wrench with the $ you save by buying NON-run-flats-put them under trunk floor---end of problem!

#530 ·
BMW 335i Convertible 2009 tires

Thanks for good suggestion. Micheline Pilot AS plus is going to last longer. It has got good reviews. However, my front tires are 225/40/18 and rear tires are 255/35/18. BMW 335 convertible has very small room in luggage. I can hardly put one tire in. Which side tire I should put in spare.

#533 ·
Update on Kit Details

I stumbled onto this thread for the same reasons as everyone else. However, this kit is discontinued. I talked to Jason Reighard at getbmwparts.com(Formerly known as Tischer BMW), and he provided me with the new "kit". It's basically all of the same components, but the tire comes unmounted.

Here's the link: http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...fo&PartID=766537&siteid=214672&catalogid=4462

#534 ·
broken record

sounding like one now. I highly suggest that you get the scissor style jack instead of the goofy leaning thing in this kit. Tischer has the other kit with the scissor style. I put together my own kit only buying the rim and valve stem from Tischer. I used an X5 (E53 or E70 doesn't matter) scissor and it works perfectly. I bought the jack. jack handle, and lug wrench (17 mm) on ebay. I already have a torque wrench and use 88 lb-ft as the spec per dealer advice.

#537 ·
This is the trunk of my E92 that I traded today. This new, unused Tischer spare and BMW premium jack kit with pre-set torque wrench are available. Complete spare wheel and mounted tire alone - no jack $200 - Tischer cost $315 with cheap jack. OEM BMW Jack Set 71106773536 $100 - Tischer cost $145. I'm in South Florida and local pickup is preferred. If not will ship for actual cost.
I noticed you are using that webbed cover to hold the spare in place. In an accident the spare tire could become a missile hazard because that cover is not strong enough to secure the spare in place. You had better hope the rear seat latches are strong enough to keep the seat locked in the upright position.

I secured my spare tire with heavy duty cargo straps that pass through all four eyelets in the trunk.

#542 ·
for those moving on to the F30, i think we can adapt this spare tire kit to fit. unfortunately it will require a spacer (something i wanted to avoid). i'll know more in about two weeks :D

#547 ·
I bought the Tischer kit and have it in the trunk of my 328 Coupe. I put it in a garbage bag, and have the container with the tools settled in the middle recess of the wheel (on top of the bag). I secured it with the netting that came in the trunk of my Lexus, and it works fine, as would cargo straps, etc. On a cross-country trip last year I folded the rear seats down and pushed the spare onto the backs. It was then held in place by my luggage.

#556 ·
Piecing a spare kit together - alternate tire sizes

Looking at the diameter calculations, it does look like a 125/80 would be a much closer fit for my non-sport with 225/45 17's. A 145/70 would also be a near perfect fit.

Both the 125/80 and the 145/70 are readily available used (and still mounted on other car's spare rims) on ebay for $80-$100. In both cases, they are on 4'' rims, so it doesn't seem like there should be any problem mounting them on the E60 rim (36-11-6-758-778).

Does anyone see any issues with going that route?

As far as the jack, a well reviewed ones from Amazon are $25-$35, plus a lug wrench for $12. I suppose I could then cut my own foam insert, but I'm intrigued by the Jaguar kits that include the jack, chock and insert tray, also available for cheap (used) on ebay.

Thoughts?

#558 ·
Looking at the diameter calculations, it does look like a 125/80 would be a much closer fit for my non-sport with 225/45 17's. A 145/70 would also be a near perfect fit.

Both the 125/80 and the 145/70 are readily available used (and still mounted on other car's spare rims) on ebay for $80-$100. In both cases, they are on 4'' rims, so it doesn't seem like there should be any problem mounting them on the E60 rim (36-11-6-758-778).

Does anyone see any issues with going that route?

As far as the jack, a well reviewed ones from Amazon are $25-$35, plus a lug wrench for $12. I suppose I could then cut my own foam insert, but I'm intrigued by the Jaguar kits that include the jack, chock and insert tray, also available for cheap (used) on ebay.

Thoughts?
i'm actually working on something for my F30 along these lines.
a much cheaper alternative. i gave my original kit to my brother when he got an E90. spacer is only needed for the front of the F30, the brakes are even larger than the E90 335i

1) bmw E60 spare tire rim- $60
1) kuhmo 135/90/17 tire - $30
1) harbor freight scissor jack - $20
1) 15mm spacer + 5 45mm lugs - $40

$150 total

#557 ·
got a quote from local dealer.... donut tire + kits for 3 series is $800 here

$300 on ebay plaus $200 shipping starts to look very reasonable