BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

porsche/audi LED lights for the 650i

10K views 37 replies 21 participants last post by  BimmerBurger 
#1 ·
hi guys, i am thinking about installing the LED light kit (the ones we see in porsche) on to my front bumper tomorrow!

there is like a little gap next to fog lights in the lower part of the front OEM bumper,
what do you guys think?

#2 ·
Wouldn't it contradict the halos? IMO each car should have it's own distinct markings. BMWs have halos, Audi has the dots, in fact every other luxury car start doing those led dots by the headlights, after Audi started doing theirs. Those things piss me off! Keep it real man.

#3 ·
No It doesn't contradict the halos since it's under the headlight. There is a empty space next to the fog light on the bottom part of the front bumper. I'll post up the pic soon. I think it looks alot nicer IMO.

Didn't know you were such a hater of the lights haha

#37 ·
:thumbup: i agree with petro2r, i think it should either be one or the other, both is a bit much, but it's all about what you like

#5 ·
Actually, if you look closely the new 6er has the 3 LEDs on each side of the front fascia - similar to what you are thinking of doing.

Not sure if I am a fan yet, but by all means do it and TAKE PICS!! :angel:

#8 ·
Wow I was considering this but wasn't sure if it would look good in the long run but to sum it up "I like"...I think it would look nice if you took out the fog lights and fog light housing and ran this setup...maybe a future mod for me

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

#9 ·
Agreed - looks SICK on an ///M6, which has the larger intakes (more space) and no fogs. On our non-M's, I think it might look silly unless you got rid of the fogs.

#11 ·
im getting it done tomorrow in the morning and will post pix as soon as i get it done!

i think im going to keep my fog lights on along with the LED lights though

#14 · (Edited)
The LEDs on that M6 have a slapped-on look to me...kind of an after-thought, no real style. [Stan, I didn't see your comment until I posted mine...we seem to be in sync on this one!]

#20 ·
Guys I'm installing the led as we speak. I'll keep you guys posted!

#21 ·

I will post up some better pic late at night

#24 ·
Although alot of people are disliking the led strip, I still kinda like how it gives me a little touch to empty space next to fog lights

#26 ·
I do like a Ducati 1098 on the back ground though (left of the alleged M6). M6, on the other hand looks like the owner could barely afford it (hence the color), and then tried to make it look "cool". Should've put some undercarriage neons while he was "at it". Lol :)

#29 · (Edited)
Ouch, that is harsh. It is an M6, it owned by a guy named Dan who is an engineer at Boeing, probably one of the nicest dudes out there. Always helpful on the M6 forum boards, he was instrumental in helping me with my audio upgrades the year before last. He loves mod's, he has pretty much converted every light on the interior of his car to LED so his affection for the LED lights is well documented. Here is a video of his Audio/Video Integration project, it shows the car including the lights.

#27 ·
i think im going to use my DSLR to take the pictures tomorrow at night time or so
but here ya go these were best i could take

its 9 led bulb strip

Attachments

#30 ·
Oh sh*t, I didn't mean to offend anyone! Just "trolling" a bit :) no, im sure Dan is a great guy and all. I do like the audio/video integration, especially if he did it himself. Not a big fan of all kinds of "under artiste lights" and all. I do have led license plate lights on my car, but it makes it look classy. IMO adding all kinds of lights everywhere does not add class to the vehicle but takes it away. You know how some kids have windshield sprayers lit up and fake hood scoops and fender cutouts? Just makes me LOL

#32 ·
No worries, I stir the pot and troll at times also! He has done all the mod's himself. I read his original DIY thread a couple of weeks ago for this Hella light install, he even says that it won't be for everyone. Personally, I wouldn't do it either.

Windsheild wiper lights, that is funny. :D

#38 · (Edited)
I agree that the strips don't look natural with the shape and contours of the car. They do look slapped on, but mostly because of how they are seated. It doesn't look like "part of the car". The car's elements are all curved. These are square. That's where the problem comes in with aesthetics.

Also, the bulbs themselves honestly don't look right to me, if you look close. They don't match the Audi LED's.

I love the idea of modding some LED's onto a sixer, and I wish there were other styles, shapes, and options to choose from because I'd do it in a heartbeat.

-BB-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.