BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What all engines can fit my 97 528i?

29K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  540 Hammer 
#1 ·
Will an engine from an e34 525i fit into my e39 528i?
What all engines are compatible?

#9 ·
Similar question. I am considering buying a nice '98 528 with a blown motor. I have a M52B28 from a '98 328i that I assume would go in without much trouble or I might want to try finding an M62 which I also assume would fit. Not sure it would mate with the tranny though. It has the 5 speed manual and I think the 540i came with the 6 speed. Anyone know if I can use the M62 on that tranny?

#15 ·
The I6 & V8 e39s not only have different transmissions...but also do NOT share the same front suspension.

The V8 e39s (M62 & M62TU engines) have the old recirculating ball front suspension because there is not enough room in the e39's engine bay design for the updated rack-n-pinion front suspension that the I6 models got.

So installing a BMW V8 in an e39 6 cylinder model would require a complete different front suspension as well as transmission & rear end.

And as someone already mentioned...the easiest replacement engine is the same one being replaced...and in this case it's the M52 engine. If you don't know which BMWs used this engine...a simple internet search (wikipedia for instance) will reveal what other BMW models (and any other car model) used the same M52 engine. This will also include the engines displacement (B28 in this case).

FYI: one must also consider other BMW technology like EWS. One must consider the original DME since it has a coded ISN (individual serial number) that must match the other EWS components in order for the vehicle to start. So swapping in an entire engine & management system from another car can be fraught with issues if the other EWS components aren't brought over with the engine & engine management systems...but this is only an issue if one is not keeping the original engine management system.

#10 ·
What engine would fit but for what reason? If you have the dough you can put whatever damn engine you want.

#11 ·
If I was going to spend a bunch of money trying to put a v8 in it, then I would definitely be putting a ls1 motor under the hood.

#13 ·
Or just try this one:

Attachments

#16 ·
Thanks for the good technical info. I am closing the deal on the car tomorrow and my plan is to put the M52 from my donor 328i in it. I am told I will have to swap the oil pans but otherwise it should be straightforward. I will use the DME that is already in the car so the EWS should be happy. Will post pics when I get it home.

#18 · (Edited)
1996 BMW 528i trying to swap to a RB26DET :rofl:

:rofl: Hey everyone, Im new to this forum and also new into a bimmer. I have a 1996 BMW 528i ever since I got the car I been wanting to make a build (Street/Drift/Track) and swap out the 2.8 engine to a Nissan RB26DET. I was looking around the forum and saw that a Toyota 1JZ/2JZ can be fitted into the E39 chassis but i really want to put in a RB26 in there, you know mix it up a bit. Another thing is that the 528 I have is an automatic :stickpoke . I want to also swap the automatic transmission for a 5 or 6 speed manual that can fit with the RB26DET and still make it all fit in the car at the same time. So if any one can help me ill be really happy. THX :D

#20 ·
Sorry but it ain't happening. Too many questions asked so that means you don't know what's involved at all. If you have enough money then take it to a shop and have them swap in any engine you want.

:rofl: Hey everyone, Im new to this forum and also new into a bimmer. I have a 1996 BMW 528i ever since I got the car I been wanting to make a build (Street/Drift/Track) and swap out the 2.8 engine to a Nissan RB26DET. I was looking around the forum and saw that a Toyota 1JZ/2JZ can be fitted into the E39 chassis but i really want to put in a RB26 in there, you know mix it up a bit. Another thing is that the 528 I have is an automatic :stickpoke . I want to also swap the automatic transmission for a 5 or 6 speed manual that can fit with the RB26DET and still make it all fit in the car at the same time. So if any one can help me ill be really happy. THX :D

#19 ·
I didn't know about this old thread, but I will xref this information into the thread found by typing /swap f3 in the bestlinks ...
- What engine swaps are most recommended (1) (2) (3)

See also:
- Summary advice to provide users who suspect a major engine repair due to overheating (1) (2) (3) (4) & how to test an engine for a blown head gasket, cracked heads, a warped block, stripped head bolt threads, cam seizures, contaminated bearings, coolant hydrolock, or piston, ring, or valve damage (1) (2) & what are the major factors in deciding whether to rebuild the engine, replace the engine, or sell the car (1) & a DIY for replacing the I6 M54 head gasket (1) (2) & replacing the V8 M62TU head gasket (1) & why these engines are so prone to heat-related damage in the first place (1) & welding the crack between cylinder #3 and the water jacket on the exhaust side (1) & what engine swaps are most recommended (1) (2) (3) & where to obtain a new or rebuilt head (1) replacement short block or long block (1) (2) & how to lift & remove the engine (1) & the most recent real-world results from the last 50 people faced with similar blown engine problems from which this advice came from (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50)

#21 ·
I realize this is old thread but one useful bit of information that did not emerge is that the S52 3.8 liter engine from the E36 M3 is a fairly easy swap into the early E39 with the M52 engine and manual transmission. The engine blocks are the same externally and the 5 speed manual transmission is the same in the E39 and M3. The DME (engine computer) would need to be re-flashed with a software load capable of running the S52. This is a vendor I have used that can provide the necessary software:

http://www.trmtuning.com/product-category/tuningsoftware/

The E39 M52 oil pan and oil pickup tube will probably need to be used but that is easy to swap.

#23 ·
"It's a bit blasphemous"...If you're thinking of anything besides the same BMW engine, the suggestions about the LS engine is a good one. Both from an engine cost perspective, reliability and availability of a ton of parts. This probably isn't the place to get good info about it though.

If you're seriously thinking about an LS swap, consider the LS3. It's one of the newest and takes to mods very well. Guys run 650HP with stock internals without problems. The other LS, if you can find one, is the LS7. That's the 7.0 liter/427 CI motor, 505HP stock. One of the members, I think on the "other" site, swapped in an LS7 in a 5 Series and loves it. I have a 2008 Corvette with a modded LS3 and it's a friken animal. Starting to digress though...G.L.

#24 ·
Hi Daniel

As per above, you need to look at other forums that are more focused on engine swaps and the necessary information to go with it all. This forum is very oem orientated! You'll need to do a ton of research yourself to try and understand all that's required and have a nice healthy, read large'ish, bank balance to do it all. This won't be a over the weekend swap, there's a LOT of aspects you need to learn, research and get right prior to purchasing anything.

mda185 - Various japanese engines have been fitted to the E39 and multiple times/instances. They just tend not to show up on this forum. Do take a look around though, there's plenty of E39's with 'interesting' engine swaps etc!

540 Hammer - I've got my eye on importing another American car over here to the UK again, The F150 anniversary edition Harley Davidson was swapped for an Alpina B3S a few years ago, however, it looks like another one will be back on the family driveway today as my bro's driven over to buy another today! not sure if he's actually purchased yet, but he will if it's not an abused example. I want something much smaller and sleeker to match it soon (I hope) so looking at the modern classics like the Challenger and Camaro, perhaps a Corvette z06 ! - I'll just have to hope UK petrol prices remain what we consider 'low' for us !

Cheers, Dennis!

#25 ·
Dennis, The Challenger is a large car and as such handles like one. Unless you can find one with the SRT package, I wouldn't bother with it. At least go with the SRT, it will get the hell out of it's way. It's not small or sleek though. The SS Camaro is a decent car; handles decently and has good power, nice balance of both. If you can get the Z06, that's a must!! Great power to weight ratio and handles like cars that cost 3-4x's as much. You won't believe it until you drive it. That would be number one, especially if you're seeking smaller and sleeker. Out of all three, the Corvette actually would get the best MPG, IF you keep your foot out of it, BUT good luck with that!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.