BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

F30 - 2013 335

10K views 57 replies 23 participants last post by  FCBayernFTW 
#1 ·
Just ordered my 2013 335i. Mineral gray, sport line, premium pkg, Harmon kardon upgrade (Trading 2006 330i). Skipped the tech pkg since everyone has nav on iPhones.

Any feedback on similar cars out there? Love em, hate em, other?

#2 ·
Just ordered my 2013 335i. Mineral gray, sport line, premium pkg, Harmon kardon upgrade (Trading 2006 330i). Skipped the tech pkg since everyone has nav on iPhones.

To be honest, I would add the tech package. As far as 'interior' options go its probably the best and Navigation has very little to do with why.

There have been several posts around here as to the specifics to what makes the tech package awesome but as a highlight, HUD, enhanced bluetooth to name a few.

#19 · (Edited)
I would at least consider the NAV because you get everything with it (larger screen, enhance Bluetooth etc) except the HUD. Ooos I see you upgraded good.

did you have a chance to test drive a car with the adptive suspension? For me if I had to live with just one option on the 335i is this. It realy changes the car dynamics.

#5 ·
Consider also future resale value. It's rare nowadays to see one without it.

#7 ·

You should have gone for the NAV because you get a much better display. Also I almost didn't get it but now I am glad I did. PDC. Another must have option for me would be the DHP.

#8 ·

pretty much exactly what i ordered minus the premium. make sure you get the sort auto, a must have imo.

#15 ·
The wait is well worth it. I was out today in mine and passed someone in a Lexus who was driving like a snail and thought wow, this car could be dangerous on quiet suburban streets. It really *is* a beast.

#16 ·
I've been in a 2011 335 dealer loaner for a few weeks (don't ask...) and I can honestly say that the thing I miss the most from my 2012 328 is the HUD. Well, maybe that and all the BT synchronization. You absolutely will not regret the tech package. It's worth every penny.

#18 ·

I also replaced an MY2006 E90 330i with an F30 335i. I even originally ordered in Mineral Gray, but changed my mind and went with Glacier Silver.

What you'll notice is an astonishing increase in power and engine refinement, even though the N52 with the dual manifold was as smooth as butter.

Also, the E90 was, and there's no other way to put it, harsh and uncomfortable on bumps with the RFTs -- even though on a smooth superhighway it drove perfectly.

The ZSL F30 is taut yet amazingly compliant. Gone are the E90 330i's bump steer and the impact harshness. I love the new car.

I think you are making a big mistake not ordering nav. The larger screen makes the car. I had an F30 328i loaner without nav and missed the screen.

I also highly recommend the head-up display and LDW, collision warning and blind-spot detection.

I loaded up on the tech because over four years, if you own the car that long, you really get the value IMO from it.

#22 ·
If you turn the brightness to max you will be able to see the HUD. It will be dimmed but still visible. I bought two sets of lenses and keep both in the car. One for driving, and one for other activities. This way i have non-polarized to max my HUD experience and the other lenses if I am on the ocean or playing golf, etc.

#24 ·
I didn't get tech. The nav is from what I've read not very good ( an android phone is much much better routing end entry wise) and i dont think HUD is worth thousands of dollars even if it does look cool. Larger screen is slightly nicer but personally its not that big a deal.

Buying a bunch of stuff for resale value that you aren't going to use is moronic. So you buy a $3000 tech package that you didn't really want so you can sell your car for $500 more in 3-4 years. Sounds like a good way to set $2500 on fire if you really didn't want that stuff

#25 ·
I didn't get tech. The nav is from what I've read not very good ( an android phone is much much better routing end entry wise) and i dont think HUD is worth thousands of dollars even if it does look cool. Larger screen is slightly nicer but personally its not that big a deal.

Buying a bunch of stuff for resale value that you aren't going to use is moronic. So you buy a $3000 tech package that you didn't really want so you can sell your car for $500 more in 3-4 years. Sounds like a good way to set $2500 on fire if you really didn't want that stuff
Sorry but that statement lacks foresight. Its not that you will get $500 dollars of it back, its that it will be one of the few cars that does not have this technology. It will cause a car without to depreciate more - as a result the NAV will actually depreciate less. In addition you get years of use, updates, etc. Does the NAV have some issues, of course it does, they all do.

Also don't go too crazy with Android is better - one of the posts shows how Google has the same incorrect routing in more than on of the situations. Take a look.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7229422&postcount=87

#29 · (Edited)
I'm sorry I don't buy cars for the next guy. (I'm thinking of that AUDI commercial for used cars). Keeping super low mileage and worrying about resale value...I just don't get spending that much money and 'saving' it for someone else.

And yes...NAV (Tech techII Driver assist and Premium) is a must IMHO, I think it just looks cheap having that suction cup in the window.

#30 ·
No one is suggesting that you buy features "for the next guy". But like you pointed out, Nav is a "must". So when he gets ready to sell it, buyers like you (which is most) are just going to simply pass over the car. Instead of selling it in 2-3 weeks, it might take 6 months to find a buyer for a 335i without Nav. Unless you plan to drop your shorts on the price.

#36 ·
My local dealership has about 15x2013 F30s and 20x2013 5 series (give and take) of all variants.

Approx 75% of the F30s and 50% of the 5 series do not come with NAV.

Approx 50% of F30s come with leatherette.

Approx 95% of the F30s and 75% of the 5 series do not come with the upgraded stereo.

I asked the CA and he said the most asked and popular option for my region is the heated seats, believe it or not. There are perhaps "nice to have" options but I dont think there are any "must have" options.

#32 ·
Mine is a mineral gray sport 335i too - it looks super sharp and I get compliments on it constantly. I didn't get Nav/premium/tech. I don't feel some huge sense of loss, I bought the car for the driving experience and it totally delivers without those extras. You get a lot of "luxury" stuff standard on a 335 anyway - auto wipers, folding mirrors, iPod integration, adaptive xeons, seat memory, dimming mirror, but I'm coming from driving a Focus. :) Sometimes I wish I had comfort access, but it wasn't worth the bundled package price to me. The ride on adaptive suspension is great and you do notice the variable steering in parking lots.

In the rare cases I need to nav somewhere, I use the iphone, or the $99 5"garmin for longer trip. I think most people truly use in car nav about 5% of the time. And I think my phone is always going to have better/easier to use/more up to date apps than iDrive ever will.

No disrespect meant to those who went for any of those options - ultimately it all comes down to what you feel you "need". I "needed" the most fun to drive car for the lowest price. My always-cold wife needed seat warmers. :)

#34 ·
In the rare cases I need to nav somewhere, I use the iphone, or the $99 5"garmin for longer trip. I think most people truly use in car nav about 5% of the time. And I think my phone is always going to have better/easier to use/more up to date apps than iDrive ever will.
Jacking around with a smartphone is a good way to get in an accident. This is statistically verifiable. Give me color turn-by-turn directions in the HUD, any day.

#39 ·
Well I cannot tell you the exact science or statistics but I would think that each dealership knows what sells or doesn't sell in their market so that they would order their cars accordingly.

For ex: I went to several local BMW and Mercedes dealerships and the most popular colors on their lot are : WHITE, SILVER, BLACK. Why is that?

Because the local dealerships know those are the most requested/popular colors so they order them accordingly. The same logic would apply to options as well.

#40 ·
Well I cannot tell you the exact science or statistics but I would think that each dealership knows what sells or doesn't sell in their market so that they would order their cars accordingly.

For ex: I went to several local BMW and Mercedes dealerships and the most popular colors on their lot are : WHITE, SILVER, BLACK. Why is that?

Because the local dealerships know those are the most requested/popular colors so they order them accordingly. The same logic would apply to options as well.
Exactly. Which is why you'll rarely (never?) see a 335i on the lot without Navigation/Premium package.

#51 ·
I make money off owners of cars without Bluetooth, Nav, USB and all the tech options that previous owners or the dealership skipped when the car was sold. And the retrofit business is good. That's all the proof that I need. :D

Cars equipment reality changed about 4 years ago. An used car will take longer to sell if it lacks the basics- that's the only reason BMW added USB and Bluetooth as standard equipment after years of nickel and dime-ing customers to death, as even new cars are hard to sell without the basics. And Nav is becoming a must have.

#55 ·
I use my $99 Garmin and thus far have been perfectly happy. Never owned NAV in my previous E46 or current E90 - and on the fence about getting it for my F30 purchase. I certainly don't think it's a must-have option as there are alternatives (like the Garmin, Iphone, Android, etc). It might be must have for other parts of the tech package though.

#56 ·
Our last two BMWs didn't have Navigation and that was fine with me. I prefer the old fashioned way of looking at a map and seeing the whole picture, not just some small scrap of a map that I have to play with just to see where I am and where I'm going. But having said that this car has the Tech package and even though I'm not using the navigation every day, in the long run, its better to have the option than not to have the option. But I do get it when people say they don't need or want it and their phone does the same thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.