BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW Z3 3.0i Spark Plugs

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  vintage42 
#1 ·
Hi guys, my Z3 3.0 (M54) is already due for change of the sparks plugs. The problem is that the ones I have on are Bosch platinum +4 4417, and here where I live is a small town, and I can't find that particular spark plug. I only found Bosch Platinum +4 4418. I ask to a friend in shop and he said that they are practically the same, just the temperature is slightly different and it should be no problem. I'm not sure if should I put this sparks plugs on my engine, does anyone knows how could possible affect it?. Or if somebody has an experience with these spark plugs please let know.

Thanks.

#3 ·
I tried to look for a different brand but without luck. I guess I'm gonna order them or go to the closest autozone; too bad is a 2 hr drive.

I was trying to understand the difference, if you have some knowledge on the effects of cold and hot sparks plugs in the engine; please let me know. I would be a food reference for the future.

Thanks.

#7 ·
... I was trying to understand the difference, if you have some knowledge on the effects of cold and hot sparks plugs in the engine; please let me know. I would be a food reference for the future.
I used to think that if the plug fitted, the only big difference was heat range.
But then I bought NGKs that were advertised for my 1.9 on eBay. Very popular Iridium single electrode. But I found they were not listed for the 1.9 on NGK's site. Which led to an email exchange with NGK where I was told that plug design for a particular engine involves:
- Number of grounds (electrodes)
- Firing position (length of tip)
- Resistance (matched to car's spark coil)
So when buying plugs, check the manufacturer's website or their printed catalog so you only buy their plugs that are made for your car.
In the case of NGK for your 3.0 M54, see:
http://www.ngk.com/ngk-aut-c1411.aspx
The BKR6EQUP is identical to the 4-ground Bosch OE plug, while the BKR6EIX single Iridium is plussed (+) as better.

#5 ·
You should be able to mail-order the correct Bosch or NGK spark plugs for your M54 from a BMW dealer. However, they won't be $7.00 per plug.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.