BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

The Ultimate iPod Info Thread

543K views 1K replies 361 participants last post by  Fharper2431 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I wanted to connect an iPod to my car and decided that waiting for the BMW iPod connector might take a while...or never happen, so I got the aux input installed ($64 part + $140 install).

This is what the aux input looks like--it's typically installed in the glove box, next to the flash light:

Here's the aux input install directions:
click here

I decided to have the iPod in the center arm rest (to be out of sight, and also have easy access).

For a power source, I went with the Monster iCarCharger, since it has a direct line out (not through an amplifier like the Belkin adapter, so you have a clean output), which I hardwired to the switched power lines of one of the power outlets in the rear center console (below the A/C vents). You definitely don't want to use the headphone jack, since it is filtered and tailored toward headphone use and the quality & volume level of a headphone simply cannot compete with your car stereo. The headphone jack sound quality and bass levels are greatly reduced. The bottom dock connector (which transfers audio out of the iCarCharger's 3.5mm port) generates pure, unfiltered sound.

Here's a list of parts you'll need--on a difficulty scale of 1 - 5 with 1 being the easiest, I'd say this DIY is a 3--once I had all the parts, it took me half an afternoon to complete:

Monster iCarCharger--$40 from BestBuy:

http://www.monstercable.com/computer/produ...pple%20Products

Monster MP3 MusicConnect shielded cable with mini-stereo connectors (1/8" mini jack on each end)--$20 from BestBuy:

http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=3258

Griffin AirClick remote control for iPod--$40 at Apple Store:
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/airclick/index.php

Wire connectors--$4 at RadioShack:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104016&cp
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104018&cp

18 gauge wire--you***8217;ll need about a foot--I bought 4 feet to have extra ($0.12 per foot)

In-line fuse holder & fuses--$5

With this set up, when you have the audio input on aux input and the iPod playing & you turn off the car, the iPod pauses and shuts itself off after a few minutes. When you start the car, the iPod turns on and is still paused (at the point in the song when you turned off the car), and I use the Griffin AirClick to resume playing, by pressing the play/pause button (actually, pressing any button will work). I keep the AirClick remote in the drivers door storage area, so it's easy to press the play button. You don't have to open the center arm rest to access the iPod, except when you want to select a new playlist.

I first removed the coin holder in the center arm rest--there are 4 torx screws (red circles)--you can see the coin holder on the seat (yellow circle):

Next remove the panel that holds the 2 power outlets at the back of the rear center console--I used a metal spackle knife to wedged it out from the bottom sides--you need to use a bit of force, and it will eventually snap out on both bottom sides. Here's instructions :
click here

The 2 clips on the bottom sides (red circle) fell into the center console so you need to find them with a flash light and replace them for reassembly. The pic also show the 2 clips from the bottom edge of the A/C vent (yellow circle--see next instruction).

Next you remove the A/C vent--instructions:
click here

There are 2 clips (yellow circles) at the bottom corners, which you use needle nose pliers to pull down and out, then you pull the assembly toward you and down to remove. The red circle shows a blue female connector which I connected to the green wire in place of the stock connector, to fit the harness I made:

To hardwire the Monster iCarCharger, I used the metal spackle knife to wedge open the part of the adapter that would slide into the power outlet, to reveal the spring in the center, and one of the metal pieces on the side. I attached a female connector to each and crimped to secure (red circle). The pic also shows the line out connection (yellow circle):

I assembled a harness to tap into the power and ground wires from one of the rear power outlets. The blue male connectors at the far right connect to the female connectors that originally connected to the power outlet (the red circled connection is unnecessary--you can use a straight wire here). The orange female connectors (yellow circles) connect to the power outlet:

Wrap all exposed connections with electrical tape, and reinstall A/C vents and power outlet panel.

Once you have the aux input installed in the glove box, you need to run the mini-stereo cable from the glove box to the rear center console. First remove the trim at the side of the rear center console, using a metal spackle knife and pushing towards the rear of the car--instructions here:
click here

Remove screw (red circle) from side trim panel and pull panel toward you and down. After plugging cable into aux input and fishing through back of opened glove box door, run cable into top of panel and behind it:

Run cable along side of rear center console, and into rear section:

Run mini-stereo cable and coiled wire from Monster iCarCharger into center console compartment below the coin holder--this pic has a white wire for easy identification showing location. You'll need to enlarge the opening, using a Dremel or similar tool, so the iCarCharger plug will fit through:

Install coin holder.

Here's the iPod in the armrest:

You can remove the iPod from the armrest to change playlists, etc.:

I ripped my CDs using Exact Audio Copy w/ LAME eocoder http://users.pandora.be/satcp/tutorials.htm at 256 kbps VBR, then volume normalized using MP3Gain at 94 dB http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/ , and the sound quality is excellent. Anybody want to buy a CD changer??!! :)

See less See more
#76 ·
I'll post what happens on my install. Assuming I can pick this thing up tomorrow, I'll give it a go tomorrow afternoon. Per the DIY instructions, he had a 12/05 build on his M5 and thinks his software was updated when his steering angle sensor was replaced. I have a 2/06 build date and my steering angle sensor was replaced about a month ago, so hopefully my software will be OK too.

I don't have a CD changer. Didn't get one cuz I was planning on getting an integrated iPod solution when one was available from someone. Didn't think I would be waiting this long though. Don't know if this is worth noting, but I have the nav system.

#85 ·
Well I went in last Saturday, the 2nd, for my 9 am appt to get my car progman updated for th ipod interface. It took 3 hours and it did update other software besides the IPOD (6 CD changer). But the interface works great. It takes a bout 2 minutes to pull all my music in, but once its up it sounds great. My dealer only charged me $ 51 to do this cause I went thru my salesman first and I just bought the car in June.

#87 ·
Hi all - new to the forums (and the 5 series). I just picked up my MY07 530i a week ago, Sport, Premium, Nav, Heated Seats. NO CD Changer. I just ordered the iPod retro kit and plan on doing the install myself (thanks to all the handy DIYs on this site!)

Will I need the software update, or is it possible I have the most current Progman on my car? The car came straight from the port to me (arrived at port in mid August, delivered to me August 30) and my dealer said I did not need the steering wheel sensor replacement as BMW was making the fixes on the later delivery cars before they arrived at the dealership.

Is my guy telling me the truth (re my sensor) and therefore I have the current software, or will I have to pay for the update?

Thanks in advance, and I'm enjoying these forums!

-Eddie

#86 ·
Did you have the same problem with the 250 artist limit?

#91 ·
which adapter, how much?

I have a 2007 525 and have been trying to get the ipod adapter shown on the website.
According to dealer, the "new" ipod adapter is available, but will only work using steering wheel buttons, not idrive ?? until software update not yet available. Also, they quoted something like $700 which seems crazy -- even for bmw. The website quotes $149 +an hour of labor; is this the same adapter that is shown on the ipodyourbmw.com site?

#92 ·
I have a 2007 525 and have been trying to get the ipod adapter shown on the website.
According to dealer, the "new" ipod adapter is available, but will only work using steering wheel buttons, not idrive ?? until software update not yet available. Also, they quoted something like $700 which seems crazy -- even for bmw. The website quotes $149 +an hour of labor; is this the same adapter that is shown on the ipodyourbmw.com site?
You should find another dealer--yours is pretty clueless, and is trying to rip you off. :thumbdwn:

The part is ~$300 list (depending if you need the harness or not), most dealers give at least 10% BMWCCA discount, and the BMW install instructions quote 0.75 hours labor.

#94 ·
Since you have a 2007 car, the iPod interface will either work without coding (if you have a CD changer installed) or it will not work at all--I don't think there's a scenario where it will work with only the steering wheel buttons, but not iDrive. ;)
See post #40 for iPod interface info.

#97 ·
Took my new car in for installation of the ipod/MOST interface kit today and the dealer had some problems.

Upgraded Progman to latest verison available to them (22.0.2). Hardwired the new ipod interface. Added it via retrofit, software retrofit printed out that the update was successfull. ipod does not show up on the iDrive Entertainment menu as an option.

Tried again using a 6 CD changer. Worked fine and showed up on iDrive screen and played through the L7 no problem. Plugged the ipod interface in and once again, nothing shows up in iDrive but the ipod lights up with the BMW symbol on the ipod screen.

Production date of the vehicle is one month newer of the cutoff so firmware should not be an issue.

Any other forum members who have had the install who may be able to provide a suggestion?

#102 ·
Hey has anyone tried the new nano with the ipod adaptor? I was wondering if would work just like the last few generations or if there was anything different.
Should be no problem - we've tested the 2nd generation nano and Video iPods on our DICE product with success.

#105 ·
The kit is already compatible with your 5, the updated software for >2005 models just hasn't been released yet.

We should be seeing software available from BMW in the next 30-45 days, which is needed to allow your 5 to initialize the iPod kit.

#108 ·
IPod song limit.

For those of you who have the IPod install can you confirm if there is a limit to songs within a playlist and the number of albums or artist that can be seen.

Thanks

#109 ·
For those of you who have the IPod install can you confirm if there is a limit to songs within a playlist and the number of albums or artist that can be seen.
See posts #61 - 63.

#111 ·
Only 255 folders can be displayed per directory, so you can only view (and play) 255 artists and albums, and if you have more than that, you can't view the ones in the alphabet beyond those limits in those directories. An inelegant work-around would be to create a play list for each artist/album beyond the limit. Of course, I'm sure you're also limited to 255 folders (playlists) in the playlist directory. I have nearly 400 artists on in my iPod, so this is a pretty big issue for me. Could be a deal breaker.

#116 ·
IPOD Adpater Installed

I just had the IPOD adapter installed on my 07 525xi. Interestingly the dealer had to do extensive software updates along with the IPOD installation. I thought this was odd as my car was a recent build in May 2006. The extra updates brought the total install time to over 4 hours. The dealer only charged me for 1.75 hours of labor for the install and charged the rest to BMW under warranty. The parts departemnt had told me before the install that I would get a 10% CCA discount. Although when picking up the car the dealer refused to apply the discount because they do not discount "assessories". After a bit of discussion, the discount was applied and I ended up paying a total of $477.00 for parts and labor.

On my car, the adapter is displayed on the I-Drive screen as MP3-1 through MP3-6 instead of CD1-CD6. I also have the lastest update applied to my Nanno (1.12 I think) and all appears to be working just fine without any problems. Others have complained of issues when using the adapter with the new IPOD 1.12 update. I wonder if part of the software updates the dealer did during my install addressed these issues.

#117 · (Edited)
Keep my cd changer and get iPod installed?!?

BIG AL said in another thread that his dealer in Germany suggests that one could keep their CD Changer and still have the IPOD connection? Does anyone know anything about this?
Thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168156

I have another question:
My car is production 4/05 w/navigation and was recently updated with MP3 capability. Unfortunately, according to the bulletin, only E60s without navi from 3/05 and E60s w/navi from 9/05 will work with newly released interface part 65 11 0 403 651. :mad:

Has anyone in a similar situation installed the interface -at risk- and it works?

2005 545i: Orient Blue/Beige, 6spd, Sport, Navi, CWP, PremSound, PDC, Active-steering, Comfort seats, Rear shades, Rear heated and folding seats and Satellite Radio. :drive:

#118 ·
BIG AL said in another thread that his dealer in Germany suggests that one could keep their CD Changer and still have the IPOD connection? Does anyone know anything about this?
Although possible, I find it very hard to believe. :tsk:

In order for the car to keep the CD changer which uses the CD Menus on the iDrive, BMW would have to create another menu choice in iDrive that is iPOD specific. This is highly unlikely by any manufacturer. :tsk:

The reason is, they would be in the middle when Apple decides to make a change and if your car is under warranty, BMW is forced to fix.

By having a separate adaptor, BMW can say "At this point in time, these iPODs, with this firmware will work and is supported. If you do anything else you are on your own."

Manufacturers do not want vendor specific code mixed in with theirs. The MOST bus adapter is a CD changer to iPOD converter. There is no special iPOD specific code in the iDrive software itself.

The only possible way I can think of getting both the CD changer and the iPOD to work together is to have a MOST bus "Y" cable with a switch so you can activate the iPOD or CD Changer but not both at the same time.

I am clueless why folks would need a CD changer when they have an iPOD anyway. :dunno: And certainly the in dash CD will play CD's/MP3's.

#123 ·
Ok, need some advice.

The thought of tearing my car apart to put this thing in scares me - not that I couldn't do it, just that if I broke something I'd forever be ticked at myself for trying to save $180.

That said, my dealer just quoted
$350 for the part
$180 for the install (3 hours total, the last hour is recoding and BMW pays for that)
+ tax

Total $550ish

Thoughts?

#124 ·
Ok, need some advice.

The thought of tearing my car apart to put this thing in scares me - not that I couldn't do it, just that if I broke something I'd forever be ticked at myself for trying to save $180.

That said, my dealer just quoted
$350 for the part
$180 for the install (3 hours total, the last hour is recoding and BMW pays for that)
+ tax

Total $550ish

Thoughts?
Find another dealer. The part lists for $300, and most dealers give at least 10% BMWCCA discount. Install is 0.75 hours, per the BMW install doc. Details of both are in this thread.

#127 ·
Just Installed

I just got the Ipod Adapter for my 2007 550i and I still can't believe I installed it myself in less than 30 minutes. I love it, works great. One advantage I had was that the car came in with the 6 CD changer when I picked it up in Munich (had not ordered or paid for it) so the wiring was pretty much all there.

#128 ·
I just got the Ipod Adapter for my 2007 550i and I still can't believe I installed it myself in less than 30 minutes. I love it, works great. One advantage I had was that the car came in with the 6 CD changer when I picked it up in Munich (had not ordered or paid for it) so the wiring was pretty much all there.
Does the kit come with something to cover up the whole left by the CD Changer?

#130 ·
I'm awaiting deliver of a 2007 550i. While on the phone with my dealer I was told that the 2007 550i has an iPod jack already built into it, in the back of the console. I was told this while asking what I needed to do to get an iPod jack installed.

Now when I read the threads in this forum I see that not only are people having the jack installed (in the 2007) but that it requires the removal of the CD changer.

Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks.

#131 ·
I'm awaiting deliver of a 2007 550i. While on the phone with my dealer I was told that the 2007 550i has an iPod jack already built into it, in the back of the console. I was told this while asking what I needed to do to get an iPod jack installed.

Now when I read the threads in this forum I see that not only are people having the jack installed (in the 2007) but that it requires the removal of the CD changer.

Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks.
The AUX jack is what your dealer is referring to. Not the iPOD MOST adapter. Two different things.

#132 ·
Help!

Today I had my 3/05 build date 545i upgraded to Progman 23. Dealer claims MP3 playability was selected.

This evening I installed the Ipod adaptor. When I connect my Ipod Nano, I get the BMW logo screen, but the CD1, CD2, etc. in the idrvie are not selectable (i.e., greyed out).

I re-installed my CD changer and it works fine. So that seems to rule out wiring problems.

My Ipod is a Nano with s/w version 1.2.

Any thoughts on what the problem could be? What is my next step?

Thanks!

#134 ·
Help!

Today I had my 3/05 build date 545i upgraded to Progman 23. Dealer claims MP3 playability was selected.

This evening I installed the Ipod adaptor. When I connect my Ipod Nano, I get the BMW logo screen, but the CD1, CD2, etc. in the idrvie are not selectable (i.e., greyed out).

I re-installed my CD changer and it works fine. So that seems to rule out wiring problems.

My Ipod is a Nano with s/w version 1.2.

Any thoughts on what the problem could be? What is my next step?

Thanks!
I bet you a dollar to a donut that you cannot play MP3s in the CD/DVD player in the dash. Please confirm. If your CD1-6 is greyed out, that means the iDrive does not understand MP3.

Don't think iPOD version matters. However firware 1.2 can mess up the shuffle feature but it would still work.

#133 ·
Another question - does first generation v. second generation for the Nano matter?

#145 ·
Got our '07 550i a couple of weeks ago - the aux input is on the face of the back console. (not very refined, also has the potential for the jack to get bent/broken by back seat passenges since my iPod Nano simply connects through a 2.5mm stereo (male - male) connector - should get right angled jacks, would limit the amout of protrusion). This simply allows the audio signal of the iPod to be the source for the AUX channel on the selector. Volume can now be controlled by both the iPod and the regular volume control. Track selection (playlists) are all controlled via the iPOD. The AUX input is not an iPOD interface, but just another audio input

#147 ·
From what I have read, you can have up to 250 folders with 500 songs in each. A playlist being a folder. I have not created 30 playlists yet so I can't answer questions. However, on CD6, which plays all songs, I noticed a lot of songs are cut off after 500.

#150 ·
Sorry, that would be center console, not ceter! :eek:

On my 325, I routed the AUX cable to the coin thingy in the center console, and it is very convenient. Now I'm spoiled :bigpimp:

#155 ·
Hello all--I posted the question about the new ipod connector maxing out at 30 playlists.

Well I got it installed and I seem to have this 30 playlist limit. All the other folders seem to have the 255 limit. Can anyone else test this with their system to confirm, maybe make a bunch of dummy playlists?

Please post with results. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.