BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

trunk release inside car

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  bluebee 
#1 ·
whats up guys? the trunk release inside my 97 528i doesnt work..it hasnt worked since i bought the car..any ideas of what the problem may be?

#2 · (Edited)
Have you checked the Central Locking System fuses in the glovebox area AND in the trunk?

What position is your trunk lock cylinder? You have the ability to remove the trunk from the central locking system (secure/valet mode). If you turn and leave it in the horizontal position ( -- ) ...the the trunk is SECURED and can only be opened with the master key's trunk release button or by sticking it manually in the lock cylinder.

If you turn and LEAVE the trunk lock cylinder in he VERTICAL position ( | ) ...then the trunk will lock/unlock with the central locking system and the buttons inside the car (trunk release and central lock/unlock) will work as you think they should (unless something else is WRONG with your central locking system).

This is explained in the owners manual...see the section in the right column in image below under SECURE SEPARATELY: :)

#4 ·
That info is in your owner's manual. If you don't have one, get one from the dealer.

There are many features that are not obvious, to wit: how to control whether the right side mirror moves down when in reverse; how to shut off the IHKA.

#12 ·
it still is not working im thinking maybe it has something to do with the wiring
ended up being the wiring in the harness that comes out of the trunk in the upper right corner and into the lid.
It took me six months to figure out what the problem is.

If anyone knows what 13 things are innervated by this problematic trunk lid harness set, please post to this thread so we all benefit in the future.

#7 ·
Got a question for you. When you open the trunk by using the handle just below the roundel symbol, do you hear the little electronic sound of the release actuator engaging?

If so, then it may be as simple as a bad switch inside the car. Don't know if this helps or not, but hope so.

#11 ·
I had the same problem with my 98 528i. Actually ended up being the wiring in the harness that comes out of the trunk in the upper right corner and into the lid. When I pulled the rubber harnessing back, I found the wire had become brittle and snapped over years of movement. During the repair two more of the wires broke so handle with care. Fairly easy DIY.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.