BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMWNA offered free pixel replacement parts (back in 2003)

10K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  CodyItaliano 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm a regular on another forum. I have arranged for BMW, NA to acknoweldge a long standing problem with the PIXEL DISPLAY failure common to most BMW models produced in the last 10 years.

If your PIXELS have failed in the dash, radio, heating\AC, or other component, you need to contact BMW, NA at 201 573-2188, and speak to Chuck Winik; or send an e-mail to:

Leonora.Vlaovich@bmwna.com

If you have yet to experience pixel failure, you likely will. Download the following file and save the document for future use. It is a letter from BMW indicating they are treating pixel failure on a "case-by-case" basis. If BMW refuses to give you free replacement parts (you pay only the labor - about 1 hour) then I want to hear from you at: bmwpixelclass@cox.net

Link to BMW, NA Letter:

http://www.clineandfox.com/smallbmwletter.pdf

JCFox

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks, JC Fox!

I know you have put a significant amount of effort into this issue for your fellow BMW owners. It sounds like many people have had success with BMW covering the parts cost. (I think the instrument cluster is up around $600 or $700?)

Thank you very much for sharing the information here!

#4 ·
pixel problem still around

Hi,

I have a 2001 BMW 740i and I just lost a whole row of pixels along the smaller display above the buttons for AM, FM, CD etc. It's the entire second row of pixels. Unbelievable. I'll let you guys know if BMW is still helping out with this problem.

EC

#6 · (Edited)
BMWNA looks at these on a case by case basis. They have often offered to cover half the parts and half the 1.0 to 1.5 hours labor, and sometimes more of the part cost.

I know they have done it as recently as last month.

Here is an example of bad pixels, posted by "mahmudb." It is when the pixels die off, not when the display flickers.

#7 ·
Hi,

I forgot to mention I was in Canada, and after reading a few posts it looks like BMW Canada isn't as forgiving as BMWNA. Anyway, I have a bumper-to-bumper warranty from the dealer I got the car from so we'll see how this all pans out. I'll keep y'all posted. The picture shown above is similar to mine except the problem is horizontal and on the radio. I'll try to get a picture in as well.

e

#8 ·
Running out of gas

I recently purchased a used 740i and have ran out of gas twice. Both times the gas gauge was on 1/4 tank full, now I fill up more frequently but is there a problem with the gas gauge or does these cars require a minimal amount of gas to run? Just curious

#11 ·
Has anyone hit BMW up for the free display recently?

Just curious to see if they'll still provide any support for this obvious design defect.

Has anyone had any contact with their BMW center and brought this letter up? (I couldn't get the letter (.pdf) to open; please repost it!)

Please advise.

Thanks!

#12 ·
1. if they'll still provide any support...
2. Has anyone had any contact with their BMW center and brought this letter up?
3. please repost it...
1. Yes. USA only through BMWNA. (Not Canada, etc.)
2. No, you must go through BMWNA first.
3. Pixel information. The letter example is not there, but it has what you need to know.

Good luck!

#15 ·
More info

I just bought a 740il and called that number in the original post. Chuck Winik isn't at that number anymore but it is still a BMW number and a guy called me back with the customer relations number -> 800-831-1117. They said they are still helping people but didn't give me more info then that. They have all my info and have promised to call back in two to three days. I'll give more info here as I get it.

Oh, bmwpixelclass@cox.net is a dead email address.

#18 ·
pixels and radio problems

I have a 95 740i the center row of pixels on the computer control head are out when the time says anything with an "8" it appears as a zero. Also the options screen is pretty flaky as well. Is BMW in fact replacing this if brought to their attention.

My radio/cassette player died a few months ago. (the six disc in the trunk works fine) Does anyone have a recommendation on a reputable replacement/repair facility I would like to keep the car original.

Thanks.

#19 · (Edited)
BMWNA is still replacing the pixels on a case by case basis. The names in the original post in this thread are no longer valid as these folks have moved around in the organization or have left BMW. If you look around, several forums have updated contacts at BMW....if you give me a moment, I will try and find out for you.

Latest contact name I can find is an Ilene Poletta at BMWNA....the person who provided the information is not sure of the spelling. I would contact Customer Service and just ask for a contact...it also helps if you have had/owned BMWs in the past, as brand loyalty figures prominently in this goodwill gesture. Lately, BMW has been offering 50 - 75% off on the cost of the unit, with the customer paying the labor, typically 1 - 1.5 hours.

Hope this helps.

jake

#20 ·
pixels and radio

Thanks Crewdog.

Do you know of a reputable repair solution to the radio/cassette.....I think it would be easier to replace it from the dealer. I can install it myself two screws and unhook to plug in the back. But as an alternate would like to know if there are refurbished units out there that actually have a positive history.

Thanks

john

#21 ·
In your area of the country, there should be lots of previously enjoyed vehicle graveyards where you might find the parts you need, or even on eBay. If I were you, given the year of your car, I would register on Bimmerforums as well and ask your question there as there are many folks with the same year as yours. I personally do not know what kind of a set up you have in your car....you could, of course, get the parts from the dealer and install yourself, as you say.

jake

#22 ·
wow this is a long running post! Is there anyone else out there that has any info on that letter in the first post? I can't get the letter to come up. i recently contacted bmw and they will replace the parts at 25% cost to me plus labor. They of course never heard of this letter and if I could produce this letter maybe they will pay 100% of parts and i would pay labor or better yet it would be covered completely! Thanks in advance!

#23 ·
Note you are posting on a very old thread - Alot has changed. You can try to argue, but there is no magic solution. Many who had better offers had the car longer (original owners, second owners, etc.), the cars were not as old, and BMWNA had not made as many goodwill offers. As time has gone on, their offers have changed.

You might consider taking what you can get. Remember, they could certainly offer you nothing. It was 2005 when BMWNA offered me the free part/I pay 1.0 or 1.5 hr labor.

You can also look at DIY (e38.org has some info) or try a repair company like VDORepair.

#25 ·
ive been wondering myself if i should do something about my dash display. i'm still paying on the car though. i may just check with the dealership to see how much the display replacement is right off since i doubt they will do anything for my car for free. wouldnt hurt to try though eh? mines an '01

#27 ·
for this new display right? not surprised. but i'm probably not going to have to pay regular price either. still gonna be like $480ish. damn and i forgot to ask when i was pricing new rotors when i called today also. they wanted too much for those rotors by the way. f that i say.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.