BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Passenger side mirror

23K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  cn90 
#1 ·
My passenger side mirrror stopped working, won't tilt on reverse, can't adjust with switch, and doesn't defrost. I checked fuses and didn't find anything. Any ideas. 2007 X-3
thanks

#2 ·
Try moving it around by hand and then try to adjust it. Good luck
cheers
vern

#3 ·
Mine works like it has a mind of its own. One day it works fine, the next, nada. Sometimes moving the L-R switch back and forth triggers a response, but somethimes nothing. I don't like it enough to do anything about it. If I need the mirror to point down, then I will point it down with the manual directional switch.:rofl:

#4 ·
... and doesn't defrost.
How did you confirm it doesn't defrost?

I think they switch on only when the ambient temp. as measured by the sensor is below 45F or something.

If it definitely isn't heating up the glass, then you have something more than a sticky tilt mechanism wrong.
A few people have had to have a new window/mirror switch, which somehow seems to control the heating ribbon as well as the expected mechanical functions.

#5 · (Edited)
When it was cold and frosty it didn't defrost like the driver side. Any test I can do to see if its the switch. Also forgot to mention when I use the "fold mirror in" switch, the drivers side mirror folds in but not the passenger side. Seems like all mirror functions dop not work on that side

#8 · (Edited)
BMW mirrors snap into the motor that moves them up/down/right left. There is another electrical connection to the mirror itself that performs the defrost. Essentially, the mirror is coated with a resistor like material that heats up the surface when electricity is applied. You can safely remove the mirror itself by simply pulling it away (toward rear of car) and it will snap out of the motor/actuator. Yeah, its that easy.

If the mirror is just not defrosting ... simply replace mirror. If the motor is busted, it requires taking off the interior door panel to gain access to the bolts that hold the mirror assembly on. Ive done it on my old E46. Not fun, but not impossible.

Sounds like you have another problem if both motor and defrost are not working as they are separate systems.

#9 ·
Yes..the mirror adjustment doesn't work..just on passenger side, the fold in switch works since it folds the driverside but not passenger side, and of course the defrost doesn't work, only on 1 side. Could be it as simple as a ground wire in the mirror? since all functions do not work..

#16 ·
Want to remove folding mirror feature

My mirrors fold all the way out automatically every time I get in the car and I have to fold them to the correct position by hand. Drives me nuts. I tried hitting switch, moving them in and out by hand etc but they still keep folding all the way out every time I push key fob to get in the car. Dealer wants $700 for a new mirror car is not in warranty. Seems there should be a limit switch or little mechanical connector to fix without replacing whole mirror but after spending hours on this site I can not find a fix. I am happy to just disconnect a wire to remove fold in and out feature - if anyone can tell me how this will be appreciated - do you know if this will show and error on instrument cluster?