BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Loosing my mind

8K views 101 replies 17 participants last post by  jbonly21 
#1 ·
My piston rings on # 3 are gone, don't know what to do?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#11 ·
Is been smoking, burning oil for over two months, even after replace CCV. Yesterday it started knocking, ticking and had a none stop misfire on #3. When I check my plugs all my pistons is cover with oil. It could also be a valve seal leak, and the car sounds a diesel truck. A compression test won't tell me anything I don't know already. Either one of the two is a big job.

#13 ·
Have you ever overheated?

Never overheated
Thanks Jim I will have to give this a try. I am also going to try Lucas stop leak. I just swatch from 0 40 to 10 30, could this has anything to do with it? I just hit 136k.

#12 · (Edited)
If your oil control rings are all carboned up about the only thing you can do short of ripping it apart is to take the plugs out and flood the cylinders with AMSOIL Powerfoam. Let it sit for a few hours and crank the engine over for a 2-3 seconds.
Then let it sit over night and spray a little more in each cylinder. Let it sit for a few more hours, put the plugs back in and fire it up.
Powerfoam does a good job at softening up carbon. If your rings are stuck in the pistons this is one of the easiest things to free them. Might not work in all cases, but worth a try.
Powerfoams works best if the engine is hot, not so good for removing the plugs if the engine is hot.
How many miles on your engine?
Change the oil after doing this if it helps your misfire and oil problem.

#17 ·
I just did a compression test, and I was right. All cylinders are 120-150, except for # 3. The max I got on 3 was 90. How bad is this? A leak down test is next.

#19 ·
#20 ·
Seafoam is good stuff--but for what your doing I would stick to Jim's advice--on your oil--many of us are running 15--w 50 weight with no problems--and I have used the Lucas stop leak--works well. Come to think about it BP Blaster may be good down those piston wells--See what Jim thinks of that stuff.

#23 ·
You had 90lbs in cylinder 3--that means that the rings are still there,,just not doing much of a job. If you can get the PB Blaster and poor it into 3 and Iguess it wouldn't hurt to poor in the others as well,,then let it set overnight--turn over slowly and poor again---I would rmove the 02 sensors when doing this and have something like a hair dryer or heat gun to blow down the holes where the plugs go in and where the 02 sensors are--don't know what this stuff will do to the cat's

#27 ·
This is in the bestlinks:
Leakdown tests explained

This is supposed to be a full suite of threads to help others with blown engines:
- Summary advice to provide users who suspect a major engine repair due to overheating (1) (2) (3) (4) & how to test an engine for a blown head gasket, cracked heads, a warped block, stripped head bolt threads, cam seizures, contaminated bearings, coolant hydrolock, or piston, ring, or valve damage (1) (2) & what are the major factors in deciding whether to rebuild the engine, replace the engine, or sell the car (1) & a DIY for replacing the I6 M54 head gasket (1) (2) & replacing the V8 M62TU head gasket (1) & why these engines are so prone to heat-related damage in the first place (1) & welding the crack between cylinder #3 and the water jacket on the exhaust side (1) & what engine swaps are most recommended (1) (2) (3) & where to obtain a new or rebuilt head (1) replacement short block or long block (1) (2) & how to lift & remove the engine (1) & the most recent real-world results from the last 50 people faced with similar blown engine problems from which this advice came from (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50)

#31 ·
A can of fix a crap isn't going to fix the problem. If your saying (which you did) that all the ring have oil on them this is probably caused by reversion. Your main issue is likely only involved in CYL 3. 525isport is right. Your going to have to take the engine apart. Changing your oil weight isn't going to help. Here's a long shot senecio...maybe you have bad valve seals which has been the cause of the random smoke. A totally different issue just started when your heard a knock then Tap tap tap. Sounds like you might have dropped part of a valve seat or something punched a hole in the piston. That would explain the noise, misfire now (no compression) and the oil. Maybe you can borrow a camera from someone and send it down there. Adam

#32 · (Edited)
A can of fix a crap isn't going to fix the problem. If your saying (which you did) that all the ring have oil on them this is probably caused by reversion. Your main issue is likely only involved in CYL 3. 525isport is right. Your going to have to take the engine apart. Changing your oil weight isn't going to help. Here's a long shot senecio...maybe you have bad valve seals which has been the cause of the random smoke. A totally different issue just started when your heard a knock then Tap tap tap. Sounds like you might have dropped part of a valve seat or something punched a hole in the piston. That would explain the noise, misfire now (no compression) and the oil. Maybe you can borrow a camera from someone and send it down there. Adam

You could be right, but I am not hoping for the Worst right now. My wife is not happy with second BMW with engine problem again. So if it is that bad, this could be my last one. Bad seal at 136k, if that is the issue what a shame.

#34 ·
Ok update,
I did the PB blaster ring treatment, didn't help much. But,it did clean out my piston. I think my problem is on the top, and not the bottom. I won't be able to rebuild anytime soon, so I will just keep running it tell it goes down. On other note, some of my engine noise was due to really ****ed up motor mounts. Both were broken in to two, just sitting there.
Button Auto part

#36 ·
Your not surprised or didn't work are you?

Lol, I am not. I am a heavy duty mechanic, so rebuilding is not my biggest problem. But with one kid and the second one on the way, and this being the only car, rebuilding is not an option right now. I just need some time to get a family car and I can come back to this later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.