BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Former 5er guy now with Audi comparison

16K views 138 replies 43 participants last post by  The X Men 
#1 · (Edited)
Before I begin I want to start by saying how great the people on this forum are. No disrespect at all intended, thank you all for your input and advice!

At the end of my fellowship at Yale I started to look for a new car. It would be my first real nice car. Previously I drove SAABs because of my connection with GM discounts. In retrospect SAABs were really fantastic and I was so lucky to drive such nice cars during residency.

I originally was looking at an E92 sport with manual. My girlfriend at the time, now my wife, convincent me that I should go for a 5 series because I was a big guy (6'4''). Best decision I ever made. Did a ED with the perfect E60, sport, manual, hifi, nasca leather, ventilated seats, etc. Loved that car. But....Had to turn it in after 2 years. Wish I did a 3 year on that baby!

So I did another ED, moved to the midwest and took advantage of the great deals on E93 M3 vert. Beautiful car, white with full fox red. but so impractical for me at the time. Swap a leased it after 9 months. After that ordered a 2011 F10 550x msport. WORST CAR EVER. Drove like a pig. hated it. even my wife would say, its so luxuries, but not sporty at all. The supposed comfort seats were a huge step back from the E60, so disappointed in fellow festers telling people how good the seats are on the new F10.

So, finally I got rid of that car after a year.

Took a trip to the dark side. Bought, not leased, a A7. Phantom black, Prestige, 20' Sport, Bang and Olufsen, and Technology (cruise, night vision, HUD, etc)

Wow! what a car. feels just as fast as the 550 but handles WAAAAAAAY better. No boat like feeling. Love the dynamic cruise. Best option on the car besides the Band and Olufsen which sound incredible.

Now the driving part. The Audi schools the F10 left and right, up and down. No question. It feels 90% of the E60. All of the audi setting feel great. The best part....If you like sport, the car stays in sport when you start in up. All settings remain, including seat and wheel heaters. Why can't bmw do that?

Now there is the emotional part. My wife nailed if perfectly, the car is perfect...but its not a BMW. Its underlying parts still feel weak, like its a volkswagon. I can't wait for BmW to fix its problems (steering, handling, seating) and I want to come back. Please fix this on the LCI. SEATS EXCPECIALY. we need the side bolsters back. Those that praise the crap F10 comfort seats have no idea how goood seats can be.

Keep Bimmering my Friends,
MR

See less See more
#137 ·
I don't have time to read 6 pages of pissing match, but the A7/S7 is literally and figuratively butt ugly and I'd never consider it because of that. I have no idea who would think they're attractive cars. I see them around town all the time now and wonder what the owners were thinking. The A6/S6 is fine, if a little boring.

#138 ·
I like the S6, but the cost of ordering a new S6 compared to my 550xi with Dinan 2 was close to a $20k delta given the $11,300 I received off MSRP of the BMW. Although the S6 is the better performer between the two, I didn't feel the difference was significant enough to justify the 20 grand. Not to mention the fact that it seems as if Audi changes its model's body style every lunar cycle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.