BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

STRONG GAS/EXHAUST SMELL INSIDE WHILE DRIVING 1994 325i convertable

7K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  ZeGerman 
#1 ·
Hello everyone.... I'm new to this and BMW's... I recently got a 1994 325i convertable. This car runs great although when I am driving i smell either gas or exhaust inside the car... my bro in law says it smells like raw fuel... i cant take it any more and smell a strong odor near the center counsel. Has anyone her had this problem??? It seems to only happen when i am driving and for it smells even more when the window is rolled up not down. H E L P!!!!

#3 ·
If you pull over and stop on concrete, do you see any spots? I would be concerned about the gas supply or recovery/return line leaking in the location you are talking about. If it is a strong 'raw' fuel smell it isn't your exhaust system unless you are really getting terrible mileage and performance. My method is "stop, pop and sniff" ...if it is a gas leak you can 'localize' it with your nose and with your eyes. Do not play around with waiting if there is a chance that it is a fuel leak. I'd hate to hear another beautiful 325i has to be written off.:cry:

#7 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.