BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

F30 BMW 328i 335i Front Kidney Grill / Grille removal and replacement DIY

70K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  JG_RSA 
#1 · (Edited)
F30 BMW 320 328 335 Front Kidney Grill / Grille removal and replacement DIY

Replacing the front grills on your F30 BMW 320, 328 or 335 is an easy and quick project, taking 15-20 minutes going slow and carefully. Adding black front grills dramatically changes the look of the F30 3 series and is a great first modification.

Tools needed
  • T20 torx bit
  • T30 torx bit
  • Pick or small screwdriver

1) Pop the hood and removed the front hood seal by pulling up. It is a friction fit and pulls off easily.

[IMG alt="Click image for larger version

Name: F30-M-Performance-Parts-Black-Out-Grill-DIY-bfest-2039.jpg
Views: 0
Size: 166.2 KB
ID: 322606"]attachment.php?attachmentid=322606&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1335478078[/IMG]

2) With the seal removed you'll see the 6 T30 torx screws. Remove these and set aside.

Name: F30-M-Performance-Parts-Black-Out-Grill-DIY-bfest-2041.jpg
Size: 145.9 KB
ID: 322605"]attachment.php?attachmentid=322605&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1335478078[/IMG]

3) Remove the two T20 screws, one on each side that screw into the top of the headlights.

Name: F30-M-Performance-Parts-Black-Out-Grill-DIY-bfest-2042.jpg
Size: 159.4 KB
ID: 322604"]attachment.php?attachmentid=322604&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1335478078[/IMG]

4) Gently pry the top of the bumper up and forward so you get access to the back of the grills. Wedging a flash light into the gap will give you room to work and light to see the clips on the back of the grills.

Name: F30-M-Performance-Parts-Black-Out-Grill-DIY-bfest-2044.jpg
Size: 182.1 KB
ID: 322603"]attachment.php?attachmentid=322603&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1335478078[/IMG]

5) The grills are held in with three clips across the top, one on each side and three on the bottom. Use a screw driver or pick tool to push in the release tabs on the grills while gently pulling out on the grills. Go slow and work your way from inside to out one clip at a time.

Name: F30-M-Performance-Parts-Black-Out-Grill-DIY-bfest-2049.jpg
Size: 172.7 KB
ID: 322602"]attachment.php?attachmentid=322602&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1335478078[/IMG]

You can see the clips clearly with the grill removed

Name: F30-M-Performance-Parts-Black-Out-Grill-DIY-bfest-2055.jpg
Size: 132.5 KB
ID: 322600"]attachment.php?attachmentid=322600&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1335478053[/IMG]

6) With the first grill removed you can remove the second one by working through the grill opening. This is considerably easier then working from the top. Again work one clip at a time while pulling lightly on the grill from the front. Work your way around until the grill pops out.

Name: F30-M-Performance-Parts-Black-Out-Grill-DIY-bfest-2053.jpg
Size: 166.1 KB
ID: 322601"]attachment.php?attachmentid=322601&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1335478053[/IMG]

7) With the grills removed the hard part is over! Unpack your new F30 M Performance Parts black out grills from TMS and pop them in. They snap right in.

Name: F30-M-Performance-Parts-Black-Out-Grill-DIY-bfest-2058.jpg
Size: 181.7 KB
ID: 322599"]attachment.php?attachmentid=322599&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1335478053[/IMG]

Name: F30-M-Performance-Parts-Black-Out-Grill-DIY-bfest-2061.jpg
Size: 169.0 KB
ID: 322598"]attachment.php?attachmentid=322598&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1335478053[/IMG]

8) With your grills snapped in place we need to reconnect the top of the bumper. In addition to the torx screws removed above there are four metal clips that hold the bumper in place and two tabs on the headlights. Make sure you slid the top of the bumper under these clips and tabs.

Name: F30-M-Performance-Parts-Black-Out-Grill-DIY-bfest-2062.jpg
Size: 150.1 KB
ID: 322597"]attachment.php?attachmentid=322597&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1335478053[/IMG]

Name: F30-M-Performance-Parts-Black-Out-Grill-DIY-bfest-2063.jpg
Size: 153.3 KB
ID: 322596"]attachment.php?attachmentid=322596&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1335478053[/IMG]

9) The hood seal has a U groove on the back that snaps onto a ridge on the bumper. Work your way across snapping the grove onto the ridge. The seal also snaps on the headlights.

Name: F30-M-Performance-Parts-Black-Out-Grill-DIY-bfest-2064.jpg
Size: 95.7 KB
ID: 322607"]attachment.php?attachmentid=322607&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1335478078[/IMG]

10) You're done. Stand back and enjoy the new look of your F30!

Thanks to Turner Motorsport for the parts and Jay and Derek for the installation help.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice write up!

looks like a lot of work tho, and some of those tools, i dont have lol

maybe i can get the dealer to do it for me

#4 ·
Made the Change

I received my F30 a few weeks ago. For those that think this is a bit difficult or involved; it absolutely is not. It's actually very easy if you follow the great instructions provided by Tim330i. It may seem like a lot but it's only because he's spelled out every little step in detail. It took me 15 minutes to complete and I was taking my time so I wouldn't scratch the paint. I'm sure someone with more experience could do it even faster. My before and after pictures below.

Attachments

#6 ·
I received my F30 a few weeks ago. For those that think this is a bit difficult or involved; it absolutely is not. It's actually very easy if you follow the great instructions provided by Tim330i. It may seem like a lot but it's only because he's spelled out every little step in detail. It took me 15 minutes to complete and I was taking my time so I wouldn't scratch the paint. I'm sure someone with more experience could do it even faster. My before and after pictures below.
Nice before and after.
I would say the front end would look better if the tag was in the middle and just below the grill instead of being off to the left side.

#9 · (Edited)
ive seen the bimmerfest f30 around the boston area, arent you afraid you're going to get pulled over for not having the front license plate. cops around here are ruthless about that.

also has anyone done this on both an e92 and the f30. The e92 was a real pain and I couldnt get the damn thing off myself, i tried a screwdriver, poker ting, even a butter knife. The tabs just wouldn't budge. have they made it easier at all?

#12 · (Edited)
Seriously, pull the bumper up and forward? :confused:

Since there are merely clips holding it (which is similar to the E82 grill), you just put both hands into the grill slots on the left and right edges and yank it towards you to remove.

Then to insert the new grill with your hands in the same location push it in until you hear it seat.

Zero tools needed, 30 seconds elapsed time.

At one time I actually had 3 separate grill sets; the stock one; one with painted surrounds; and a black matte one. I was constantly swapping them out once I got tired of the look.

Like a female trying to decide what hairstyle looked better, I was always changing my mind after a while. :)

If I had to do this DIY instruction each time it would be a one time deal. ;)

#14 ·
No. My wife has an E91 and I want to swap her's out with shadowline one's, but she gave me that look that basically said "don't even think about it", so even though it's reversible I never pursued it.

I think underlying is that she knows once I get started I find it hard to stop tinkering with it. :)

Unless you have plans to sell the old stocker grills or reuse them later it's worth a shot to use the old yank 'em out method after you tried the finesse approach.

#17 ·
Hey guys just installed my new grill, then i noticed that the hood is now misaligned by about 1 or 2 millimeters. I also noticed that while i was gently getting my hand through the gap to get to the grill clips, the whole bumper and light assembly was also flexing. The BMW dealership said that i may have voided my warranty by simply replacing my grill... Should i worry about water leakage or electrical water leakage? Any advice guys? it was a simple job and i was very careful and i didnt break anything. I tried literally 30 times to try to realign the hood with the emblem scoop

#19 ·
That is really strange that you can't get it to line back up, it sounds like it might be sitting over a clip or something. I would take everything apart and start again.

There is no single 'vehicle warranty'. Lets say down the road you have trouble with your suspension, changing your grills had nothing to do with that so it will not void your suspension warranty. Now if you had changed your springs that would be reasonable. Make sense? That is a really bold and annoying claim from your dealer.

#20 ·
It looks like the grill can be removed from the front by working thru the hole after getting one of the grilles off. Is this correct? If so could you not just destroy and cut out the 8 slots on the old sport grille and put your hand thru it to do the removal.

#24 · (Edited)
I looked at it closer over lunch and I can reach thru the grille and touch the clips. If I cut just two of the eight slots I could get my hand behind the grille and I would only damage the one grille I cut. This just seems so much easier then pulling my bumper off on top.

#25 ·
No need to remove the bumper. I just loose the tabs and pulled it out from the front. Look at the tab of the replacement grill and you will be able to tell "where" and "how" the loose the tabs. Got first one out in 5 min while wife is watching. the 2nd one is easy since I have access from the back of the grill.

Jason

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.