BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW Smartphone Snap-In Adapters - Do I Need Them?

80K views 148 replies 42 participants last post by  voip-ninja 
#1 ·
My order is being placed tomorrow and there's confusion over whether or not I need the snap-in adapter for iPhone.

I read an older thread between you folks regarding Pandora but it didn't answer the simple question of....

If I have a 2013 with the Technology Package (now includes nav, BMW apps, and enhanced Bluetooth) and I skip the snap-in adapter, what exactly am I losing in the process?

I've read that it's just the roof antenna and video out that I lose. Then I've read that it's charging and album art that I lose. I'm confused. Help.

TIA

BJ

#5 · (Edited)
I am good with Bluetooth to have phone conversations, and I live in an area with very strong cellphone signal strength. My main concern is losing functionality for some (all?) of the apps or some iDrive functionality for iPhone playlists or something.

If I don't have the snap-in adapters, how does the iPhone connect to iDrive for apps and audio? Via a standard USB? Do I lose any app functionality or iDrive functionality? My setup will be an iPhone for calls/apps and a beater iPod for music. Just trying to make sure that I can have two devices sync'd to the iDrive. Clearly a USB port for the iPod will work and the Bluetooth for the iPhone calls will work. Question is, in that setup with two devices, do I need the snap-in dock for some reason? Or are there two ports for this sort of thing and the adapter is just some gimmick to get better signal strength?

BJ

#7 · (Edited)
As mentioned, all the apps work with the USB cable. Pandora, Twitter, Facebook, etc... The USB also charges the phone. You can even listen to YouTube videos with the USB (audio only, no video). You still get cover art, a good iPod interface (not as good as with the cradle), Pandora interface (thumb up/thumb down, etc).

Basically, you only lose video out and the better car antenna reception (there was even some debate about that).

To get the apps to work, you download the BMW connected drive app first. Plug the phone via USB and run the connected drive app from the phone. Then you go to connected drive in the idrive and all the apps will pop up. You have to scroll down to the apps subsection. For pandora, just run it on the phone and go to either the radio section of idrive or apps section under connected drive and you will see the icon for it.

Only thing I don't like about it is once you exit the connected drive screen or pandora screen on the phone, you lose all the apps or pandora on idrive. You have to keep them running on the phone so checking a text (at a red light of course) would exit the program you are running. Can't wait for MAP in iOS6. Hope it fixes that.

#8 · (Edited)
As mentioned, all the apps work with the USB cable. Pandora, Twitter, Facebook, etc... The USB also charges the phone. You can even listen to YouTube videos with the USB (audio only, no video). You still get cover art, a good iPod interface (not as good as with the cradle), Pandora interface (thumb up/thumb down, etc).

Basically, you only lose video out and the better car antenna reception (there was even some debate about that).

To get the apps to work, you download the BMW connected drive app first. Plug the phone via USB and run the connected drive app from the phone. Then you go to connected drive in the idrive and all the apps will pop up. You have to scroll down to the apps subsection. For pandora, just run it on the phone and go to either the radio section of idrive or apps section under connected drive and you will see the icon for it.

Only thing I don't like about it is once you exit the connected drive screen or pandora screen on the phone, you lose all the apps or pandora on idrive. You have to keep them running on the phone so checking a text (at a red light of course) would exit the program you are running. Can't wait for MAP in iOS6. Hope it fixes that.
Thanks!

Regarding the iPod interface, I'll be using my beater iPod (never my iPhone) for music.....will that have the 'lesser' interface too (because of no cradle) or will it have the better interface because it's not multitasking as a phone would?

Any screenshots out there of both iPod interfaces for comparison purposes?

I will always have both my iPhone (apps) and my beater iPod (music) sync'd to iDrive.....any complications that you foresee? If no cradle is purchased do I need a special cord or does the car have multiple USB ports in the armrest?

BJ

#17 ·
Snap in adapter provide the following additional features to BMW Apps:

- iPod Out
- Video from iPod/iPhone
- iPod cooling
- connection to external cell antenna
- secondary USB port
- full charging capability via separate high current power supply (standard USB port uses its own, low current USB native power supply)

#26 ·
Several points from my owning an F30 - BMW apps - total waste of $$$. Mine came with the car and would have never ordered it.

iPhone cradle - Apple is apparently changing the connector for the iPhone 5 so the $$ for the cradle will be wasted if you move to an iPhone 5.

#27 · (Edited)
Thanks tsoc. I'm only going to use the cradle for my beater iPod Touch which has 25,000 songs on it. I like the UI that comes only with the iPod Out feature which is only available with the cradle. So when I get the iPhone 5 it won't make a difference as (I'm told) I'll only need to plug its standard USB cable into the USB port in the armrest for the app functionality. I'm always going to use my iPod Touch for music and my iPhone for apps; won't ever use the iPhone for music especially now that wireless iTunes sync is possible and I can get new tunes onto my BMW's iPod without having to remove it from the car.

On the apps front, the Facebook thing doesn't do much for me but Pandora and Google Maps integration are big wins, that's why I decided to get them along with the Enhanced Bluetooth.

BJ

#28 ·
BJ,

Do you have to order the cradle with the car or can it added later? And if so is it returnable?

CA

#32 ·
Then it seems like you can't really go wrong. Order it later and return it if you don't find it worthwhile,

I have not had a lot of practice with the new iDrive but will have a chance to play with it more Fourth of July weekend.

CA

#34 ·
Just read that the next iPhone update (ios6) will allow text messages and email notifications to show up on iDrive via Bluetooth, no apps required. Will be nice to see an incoming text in large print on the LCD rather than having to squint at the handset.

BJ

#40 ·
I have an iPhone 4/4s cradle in my BMW. It is a tight fit for the iPhone which is actually good as the phone will not move around or lose connection. I also own an iPod touch 4th generation which does not fit in the cradle even if the connector is similar to the iPhone. It is way too small. I don't know if there is some custom method to make the iPod touch fit. However, it is not really a big deal as you can use the iPhone in the cradle and the iPod with the USB cord. The USB cord also charges the iPod and displays the cover arts.

#41 · (Edited)
bj- just so you're aware: if you use the iPod out feature you can't use split screen. It takes over the whole screen while in use. While the built in interface is a bit clunky it gets the job done and I find that I don't mess with it much when driving anyway. Actually with the pandora integration I barely listen to anything else now.

Also there is a guy who can program iPod out to work without a cradle. I think his name is Patrick but if you search you'll find it. Kind of rubs it in though that BMW arbitrarily decided to require a cradle for this.

One other kind of useful thing you can do with the preset buttons is to assign one to call up a search for gas stations along your current route.

#42 · (Edited)
bj- just so you're aware: if you use the iPod out feature you can't use split screen. It takes over the whole screen while in use. While the built in interface is a bit clunky it gets the job done and I find that I don't mess with it much when driving anyway. Actually with the pandora integration I barely listen to anything else now.

Also there is a guy who can program iPod out to work without a cradle. I think his name is Patrick but if you search you'll find it. Kind of rubs it in though that BMW arbitrarily decided to require a cradle for this.

One other kind of useful thing you can do with the preset buttons is to assign one to call up a search for gas stations along your current route.
If your car is already equipped from factory with BMW Apps then there's no need to program the USB port to pipe iPod Out. What Patryk (Bimmerfest vendor BimmerTech) can do is provide the hardware to make the USB port the Plug In/iPod Out port.

Good news is that no cradle is required for iPod Out this way. Bad news is there will be no full charge of the device plugged into the USB port as full charge is only available at the cradle itself as stated before. If your device is not fully charged (less than 90%) then it will not be recognized once plugged in. iPod Out requires extra current draw (thus the cradle fan due to extra heat) and the USB port alone cannot keep up with it unless other measures are taken -out of scope of this discussion.

#46 ·
boltjaM3s,

I'm in the same boat as you, I have an old 3G touch with 15G of music that I will be leaving in the car. The battery is dying on the touch so I just ordered a replacement battery for $20. Don't think the clean UI is worth the $200 cradle personally, although it does look nice.

Is it true that the touch will need to be above 90% charged to be recognized by the car? And the USB port won't charge it?

I consider myself pretty techy, but this seems overly complicated. If the enthusiasts are having a hard time with something as simple as iPod integration, how does BMW expect the general public to figure this out?

#47 ·
boltjaM3s,

I'm in the same boat as you, I have an old 3G touch with 15G of music that I will be leaving in the car. The battery is dying on the touch so I just ordered a replacement battery for $20. Don't think the clean UI is worth the $200 cradle personally, although it does look nice.

Is it true that the touch will need to be above 90% charged to be recognized by the car? And the USB port won't charge it?

I consider myself pretty techy, but this seems overly complicated. If the enthusiasts are having a hard time with something as simple as iPod integration, how does BMW expect the general public to figure this out?
That only refers to the USB aftermarket modification that I explained above, not to the OEM setup.

#50 · (Edited)
Technic - just to confirm:
You get ipod-out with apple USB cable if you have Assist and Apps from the factory with no charging or issues recognizing the ipod?

Also, if ipod-out takes over the whole screen, is there a way to select whether you want ipod-out only or the non-ipod-out that allows split screen?

#52 ·
Technic - just to confirm:
You get ipod-out with apple USB cable if you have Assist and Apps from the factory with no charging or issues recognizing the ipod?
As stated before, my post refers to the USB aftermarket modification for iPod Out without a cradle only.

Also, if ipod-out takes over the whole screen, is there a way to select whether you want ipod-out only or the non-ipod-out that allows split screen?
Non-iPod Out screen is always by default if iPod Out is not selected while the device is in the cradle/snap-in.

#61 ·
Say you have your screen showing the nav map on the left and entertainment details on thr right. When you get near an intersection the arrow display (or lane assist if the nav has the data for that particular street) will temporarily replace the entertainment details. If you had the map in full screen mode it would temporarily go to split screen with the arrows on the right. I have no idea what happens if you use iPod out in conjunction with the nav.

And just to clarify "iPod out" refers to the special BMW apps feature that displays the iPod's interface on the nav screen (but takes over the entire screen in the process). Even without this feature you can still plug I and control your iPod using idrive. But the interface is bmws slightly clunky search filter interface.

#62 ·
Another wrinkle in the iPod Out vs. Snap In Cradle: This Wednesday, BMW is announcing a brand new iDrive hardware/software setup for F30's being built starting in November 2012.

The new system is expected to have:

Software Enhancements

***8226; Streamlined radio/media menu structure
***8226; Improved navigation submenu structure
***8226; Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information
***8226; Weather information in navigation map
***8226; POI enrichment*
***8226; GoogleTM autocomplete*
* requires BMW Assist Convenience Plan.

Hardware Enhancements

***8226; Intel processor 1.3Ghz vs Renesas 600Mhz
***8226; 1Gb RAM vs 512Mb
***8226; 8Gb flash vs 512Mb
***8226; Nvidia graphics vs Fujitsu
***8226; 200Gb harddisk vs 80Gb

As a July-build FY13 I'm not thrilled that I'm missing out on the new tech by a mere 90 days but I'm not waiting on it.

BJ

#63 ·
Another wrinkle in the iPod Out vs. Snap In Cradle: This Wednesday, BMW is announcing a brand new iDrive hardware/software setup for F30's being built starting in November 2012.

The new system is expected to have:

Software Enhancements

• Streamlined radio/media menu structure
• Improved navigation submenu structure
• Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information
• Weather information in navigation map
• POI enrichment*
• GoogleTM autocomplete*
* requires BMW Assist Convenience Plan.

Hardware Enhancements

• Intel processor 1.3Ghz vs Renesas 600Mhz
• 1Gb RAM vs 512Mb
• 8Gb flash vs 512Mb
• Nvidia graphics vs Fujitsu
• 200Gb harddisk vs 80Gb

As a July-build FY13 I'm not thrilled that I'm missing out on the new tech by a mere 90 days but I'm not waiting on it.

BJ
You will be able to swap the CIC unit later if you want it, however it will need to be enabled via coding. But hardware-wise it should be PnP.

#68 ·
Interesting. This was previousky announced for the 5 and 7. Wonder if theyll put it in the final year e92 as well. Hope they improve the nav system routing too but it doesn't sound like it. And if bmw assist still uses edge instead of 3g, google poi enrichment and auto conplete will be too slow. They should allow the option of using your tethered cell phone data. I know they offer something like that in the uk but I can't remrbrr what it's called.

Still If I can buy a new cic for around 500 I'd be tempted but I bet it will be closer to 1000. How much is the current unit?

#69 ·
New HW/SW???? WTF!

Hey folks,

Just ordered my new 2013 335, then I read about the HW/SW update. Being in the IT world, I know HW update is significant especially with the memory, graphics adapter, and CPU upgrade. MY vehicle is supposed to build the September. Is there a way to get those new upgrades?

I don't understand why November 2013 vehicles get the upgrade while the ones build earlier do not. Heck, is that even legal???

I am still confused about the iPhone adapter. Do I need it or not to access all the features in the technology package...to include video?

Thx

#70 ·
Hey folks,

Just ordered my new 2013 335, then I read about the HW/SW update. Being in the IT world, I know HW update is significant especially with the memory, graphics adapter, and CPU upgrade. MY vehicle is supposed to build the September. Is there a way to get those new upgrades?

I don't understand why November 2013 vehicles get the upgrade while the ones build earlier do not. Heck, is that even legal???

I am still confused about the iPhone adapter. Do I need it or not to access all the features in the technology package...to include video?

Thx
I would postpone your build to get the new iDrive, and by then there will be a new iPhone out so if you're going to get that you should wait to get a cradle for that handset.

#71 ·
When I ordered my 2013 328, I elected not to get the snap in adapter because I know I have to get a new iPhone and have been waiting for the new iPhone5 to come out. Hopefully, BMW will start selling the adapter that will fit the new iPhone so I can add it later. HOPING!!!! If not, I'll just plug it in but I can't imagine that they won't make a new snap in adapter for the new phone.

#72 ·
You don't want the snap-in adapter. I've gotten a lot of good advice in this thread and now have first-hand information to share after 5 days with the L328i. Much of this comes from Techic and others with my own experience mixed in, but we'll put it in this one spot so that others may benefit:

Cradle Not Even Necessary: BMW Apps run off the standard white USB cord that comes with your iPhone without the cradle. The only thing that the cradle gives you is better reception (only if you're in a really rural area) a faster charge (the standard USB cord is good enough for charging) and an Apple-designed UI for iPod's and iPhones (has a big limitation, can't do split-screens for navigation).

BMW Apps: They are not good, simple as that. Facebook and Twitter are very silly, there's a music streaming app but it's not Pandora (you use the Pandora app directly for that) and nothing else of real value. There is a BMW app that's not part of "apps" for the car, ironically, and it's called BMW Assist and that is completely wireless, you don't need any adapter or sync at all. Again, you can use BMW Apps without the cradle, just the white USB cord anyway.

Imprisoned iPhone: Unless you routinely take lengthy drives, you simply aren't going to want to dock/undock your iPhone in an armrest over and over again. And if you have a case (like the Apple bumper) you can forget it as it won't fit in the cradle and you won't want to have that extra step added in the mix either. We have khaki's with deep pockets, we have Bluetooth, our iPhones either stay in our pockets or they sit in the tray and we scan the home screen if a text message comes through. We're not trapping them under an armrest.

BMW App Functionality Is Bad: In order for Facebook and Twitter and the other lame BMW Apps to work you need to have the Connected Drive app running on your iPhone. The drawback? Anything that comes into your phone to disrupt the BMW Connected Drive app running shuts it down. So you could be reading a Facebook message about your friend's new baby photo (wonderful) and suddenly a phone call comes in and WHAM, the Facebook message is gone and now you're in a phone call. When done, you have to re-launch the BMW Connected Drive app and it doesn't remember where you left off.

The iDrive UI For iPod/iPhone Is Damn Good: I really wanted the Apple designed music app because it looked just like my beloved Apple TV. But then I found out that it isn't full screen and it doesn't allow split screen with nav intersection overtakes and that was the end of that. Now, I'm thinking the BMW UI is going to suck because, after all, it's not Apple but guess what- it's really good. I'd argue it's better than the Apple designed one because it simply is better integrated with the rest of iDrive.

A lot of typing to simply say: "Don't buy the cradle."

BJ

#110 ·
I don't see anything wrong with having both the snap-in adapter for when you do longer trips and the cable for city driving :)
Nor do I, but only if a) you listen to iTunes music only and don't need the nav or b) are a Facebook or Twitter hound and need to read content on the big screen.

I find that for short trips, trapping the iPhone in the armrest is a major annoyance as I don't see texts, can't hear text alerts, can't check my email. If I get a phone call, the app is stopped and I have to re-launch it again after the call is over. I keep my iPhone 5 in a bumper case, no way I want to remove that every time I want to snap it in the cradle.

And for long trips, I find that I'm using my nav for directions and even if I know the route like the back of my hand I want the nav for traffic alerts and re-routing.

So, for me, it boils down to charging. And for that I use the conveniently located power socket ahead of the cup holders, put a slim profile USB adapter in there under the door (closes perfectly) for those occasions where I need to charge my phone on the go. Keep a beater iPod in the armrest, problem solved. Get all my text alerts, can see Tweets on my iPhone screen, can listen to my 20,000 songs and have split screen and not lose my nav or traffic alerts either.

BJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.