BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Resource - BMW secret moves

237K views 282 replies 113 participants last post by  Eedy 
#1 ·
there are still some things i find out about my 7 that i didnt know it could do. im pretty new to the late model BMWs i used to have an e30 and it was like any other car but these new breed of cars just keep amazing me with what they can do. so i ask you bimmer know it alls, what secret moves do the 7 do that most people dont know about?...

-ive read that when youre about to turn off the 7 and hold down the start/stop button it puts on the parking brake and puts the car in park and ejects the key automatically....

any other cool things this car does...... :roundel:

#115 ·
I dropped my comfor access fob yesterday and some combo of buttons were pused that lit up the headlights, door lights and interior lights. It was nice to walk up to the car like that. I cannot figure out how I did it, but would like to figure it out. Anybody know how to do this?

#127 ·
Radio frequency tuning

E65 is programmed with RDS (Radio Data System) "enabled" as a factory setting. As a result some FM radio stations will be displayed as a name instead of the frequency. RDS can be disabled for those who do not want this feature.

To access the Radio Service Mode:

--- In Basic Menu display, press down the Controller for 6 seconds.
(The help text flashes briefly when it is ready).

---Turn Controller 3 increments clockwise.

---Turn Controller 3 increments counter clockwise.

---Turn Controller 1 increment clockwise.

---Turn Controller 1 increment counter clockwise.

---Turn Controller 1 increment clockwise.

---Press Controller to confirm.

---Enter "Settings" menu.

---Select "RDS" from menu and you can enable/disable audio system RDS function.

If RDS is disabled it will no longer display the station identification and current song information (artist/song title).All you get is the station frequency.

If RDS is enabled you get the station identification and current song information.NOT all radio stations broadcast data services.Usually just the big ones that doesn't have commercials/advertisement for Sal's Pizza at the corner store or DOLLAR PLUS.

#129 ·
To access the hidden menus for resetting the service indicators, try the following:

With your foot off the brake pedal insert the key the hit the start/stop
button, then press and hold the trip meter button. After about ten seconds you
will see service menu choices in your speedometer, cycle through them using
the trip meter button, hold the button down when you get to the one you want.
Now you will see some choices in the tachometer, using the trip meter button,
cycle to the choice you want. Some opf the resets are for scheduled mileage and some ae for scheduled dates. Re-check the services in the Car data screen
when done to make sure they reset

#131 · (Edited)
I just traded in my 2000 528i and purchased a CPO 2005 745i. I have a couple of questions:

1) The gas empty warning sign (the yellow gas tank icon) appears on the console and stays on. This is happening intermittently. The dealer said this is normal and the reason is because of the additives they put in gasoline. Anyone experienced this? and is the dealer correct or is he BSing?

2) How can I get a new navigation DVD for free? :) The dealer is asking $200.00+ for it, yikes!

3) Can you play DVD movies if you remove the navigation DVD in the trunk?

TIA

If you don't mind please email me if you have the answers. I don't visit this site often. email: didihala@cox.net

Thanks again.

Also thanks for all the trick posts, I got to try them.

#133 ·
Sunny_J,

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you know why I get this gas-empty warning? The dealer also said to get rid of it just turn the car off and lock/unlock to reset it, that is not a good answer, I know, and it is very annoying to see the warning since it will not show any information on your gas level, MPG info.

BTW, I added another question after my original post and before you replied:

Can you play DVD movies if you remove the navigation DVD?

TIA

#138 ·
Sunny_J,

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you know why I get this gas-empty warning? The dealer also said to get rid of it just turn the car off and lock/unlock to reset it, that is not a good answer, I know, and it is very annoying to see the warning since it will not show any information on your gas level, MPG info.

BTW, I added another question after my original post and before you replied:

Can you play DVD movies if you remove the navigation DVD?

TIA
That was happening to my car, I would once or twice a week get an empty gas tank warning when I knew it was full. They changed both fuel pumps under the rear seat because they were faulty. Theres a service bulletin on this, ill look for the number.

#137 ·
RE: Reset learning algorithm for ZF transmission

Sunny_j,

I read your instruction on resetting the learning algorithm. Very cool!

Couple of questions:

1) Does it work on a 2005 745i?

2) If after resetting it, the transmission adapts to your style of driving why do you need to reset this every once in a while?

TIA

#135 ·
Yes, I have 3/4 of tank full. I left a message for the client advisor and said that no one in bimmerfest has experienced this problem and they should look at it again to see what the problem is (my car is being serviced now). I think bimmerfest has lots of clout and hopefully it should send a message to him not to BS me from now on cause I will check it here! :tsk:

Thanks for your help.

#139 ·
I left a message for the client advisor and said that no one in bimmerfest has experienced this problem and they should look at it again to see what the problem is...
Imo ***8211;Even though you are correct, I don't think that this is the best method to approach SA, it may leave a bitter taste and if you are planning on keep going back there, then***8230;
but again that***8217;s just my view. good luck.

#151 ·
rafa has a point. i definitely always try to be as polite and patient as possible but when that gets you nowhere, ask to speak with a supervisor. if that doesn't work, then raise hell and make a scene and ask them for the # to BMW North America and call them right their at the dealer. if you have 3/4 tank full, no way any additives will have that effect on your fuel gauge so that it registers as close to empty.

#152 ·
Be strong but tactful. Be assertive (knowledge is power) but tactful. Overall this relationship can somehow be compare with the one we have with our waiters; you don’t want to insult/upset the person handling your meal, and your attitude has to do with that.

--if you can't understand this, perhaps I give up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.