BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Resource - BMW secret moves

237K views 282 replies 113 participants last post by  Eedy 
#1 ·
there are still some things i find out about my 7 that i didnt know it could do. im pretty new to the late model BMWs i used to have an e30 and it was like any other car but these new breed of cars just keep amazing me with what they can do. so i ask you bimmer know it alls, what secret moves do the 7 do that most people dont know about?...

-ive read that when youre about to turn off the 7 and hold down the start/stop button it puts on the parking brake and puts the car in park and ejects the key automatically....

any other cool things this car does...... :roundel:

#2 ·
Most of which occurs when new software is introduced or a new model update such as "facelift" is offered.Much of these newer "tricks" and cool functions are discovered by all of you before we hear about them.Technical Reference materials does not get updated when a software change was made that added any features.Thank you for this post,I now have something that may make a salesman buy me lunch as a bet.Keep them coming,ill get them "salespeople" on behalf of additional charges prior to delivery of vehicle.

#3 ·
if you dont push the key fob all the way into the ignition and it slips and pops out, it will still start. its happened to me a few times and happens when you push it in at an angle. its like ghetto comfort access. :thumbup:

there is a hidden change compartment in the front of the center console wall. the cd holder in the center pops out and adds extra space in there.

you can make the cd changer flap go up and down by pressing the eject button 2 times quickly in succession and the cd changer wont pop out.

the books to the car (case and all) fit nicely into the rear arm rest.

if you want all the sunshades to pop up just hold the front driver sunshade button for a 3 seconds and they all pop up or down.

if you hold both turn signal stalk buttons in for about 10 seconds, the gas and mpg meter disappear and make it nice and clean all black gauges.

in the trunk where the tools are, there is a place for the valet fob to be put underneath the wrenches.

if you enable DTC button in the Settings menu, you can do a burn out but you can't get the car sideways and it won't take away your power when you need to get going quickly.

you owe me some free lunches. :D

#4 ·
if you dont push the key fob all the way into the ignition and it slips and pops out, it will still start. its happened to me a few times and happens when you push it in at an angle. its like ghetto comfort access. :thumbup:
ill try that one

#118 ·
On the inside of the center console. It is found near the top on the wall closest to the front of the car.
But it only holds like 4 quarters. I find the bottom drawer above the CD player the best for change.

#7 ·
when i hold the start/stop button, it only puts the car in park and turns it off. i have to set the parking brake manually. do i need a software update or maybe have the dealer turn this option on? i have 2004 745Li.

#56 ·
when i hold the start/stop button, it only puts the car in park and turns it off. i have to set the parking brake manually. do i need a software update or maybe have the dealer turn this option on? i have 2004 745Li.
Just hold the START/STOP button for few secs, the key will jump out. Be sure, the gear in P first!!!

#9 ·
thats what i thought. but in the first post bimmer1904 mentioned it setting the brake too.

#10 ·
oh... do you know about this little trick: when you park your car, with your foot on the brake, hold the start/stop button for a couple of seconds. that will put the car in park, shut it off and eject the key all at the same time.

member JKB posted this....he has the 750 so it might be new......i havent tried it yet, but i will when i get home from work, i have an 04' 745 so well see...

#82 ·
oh... do you know about this little trick: when you park your car, with your foot on the brake, hold the start/stop button for a couple of seconds. that will put the car in park, shut it off and eject the key all at the same time.

member JKB posted this....he has the 750 so it might be new......i havent tried it yet, but i will when i get home from work, i have an 04' 745 so well see...
Actually, if you use the "Auto Park" feature, by holding down the start/stop button, it will switch from auto park to the parking break, put the car in park, switch off the car and eject the key fob. But the Auto Park Feature needs to be on and in use.:thumbup:

#13 ·
this is one of the best one
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195020&highlight=try+this+on+your

Try this on Your 750i/Li or 760i/Li

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All,

Has anyone tried this on their 2006/2007 5/6/7 Series:

Insert the Key to into the key fob (DON'T HOLD THE BRAKE).
Press the Start Button ONCE, just so the car electronics start and show the Engine light is on. (Again, Don't START the Engine).
Press and HOLD the GAS PEDAL all the way to the force down click on the gas pedal for 25 seconds.
After those 25 Seconds, proceed to Starting the Engine and drive your car.

Now, do you notice that the car responds better and shifts better, or is this just me????

I know, that in some Audi cars, you can reset the transmissions learning algorithm by doing this. Those with ZF tranny's.

Thanks

Danny Z

#62 ·
this is one of the best one
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195020&highlight=try+this+on+your

Try this on Your 750i/Li or 760i/Li

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All,

Has anyone tried this on their 2006/2007 5/6/7 Series:

Insert the Key to into the key fob (DON'T HOLD THE BRAKE).
Press the Start Button ONCE, just so the car electronics start and show the Engine light is on. (Again, Don't START the Engine).
Press and HOLD the GAS PEDAL all the way to the force down click on the gas pedal for 25 seconds.
After those 25 Seconds, proceed to Starting the Engine and drive your car.

Now, do you notice that the car responds better and shifts better, or is this just me????

I know, that in some Audi cars, you can reset the transmissions learning algorithm by doing this. Those with ZF tranny's.

Thanks

Danny Z
Tried this, but looks like it's doesn't work to me, because my car too old? 2002 745i E65, around 165600KM

#27 ·
so does the cd holder just slide out? Do you guys keep it there or have you removed it? I figured the extra space w/it removed would be a plus

#31 ·
the cd holder in the center console can be removed by grabbing the top and pushing it to the left. it should angle out like this \ then u can pick it up to remove it.

#32 ·
Din do you keep it in?

#43 ·
lol, he loves the fact that I'm the youngest guy that goes into the service center with a e66 so he jokes with me all day and gives me whatever i need. I would hate myself if I were you too lol. The only time I had a 3-series loaner is when I wanted to drive the new 335i convertible when it came out.

#52 ·
To shut off the mileage and gas indicators you only need to push and hold one button on the turn signal stalk (can't remember which) Pressing and holding the other button will run through all errors indicated by a yellow car icon on the NAV screen. It will not tell you about maintenance items required but will tell you about blown bulbs, low wiper fluid etc.

Jerry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.