BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

X3 or wagon

7K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  colson79 
#1 ·
I have to admit I'm tempted to get an X3 with the holiday credit + USAA + loyalty + bmw ultimate drive app.... BUT... is anyone else excited for the upcoming F31 wagon? The MSport wagon looks so cool.

I do like the MSport X3 as well, I've been on the fence for quite some time about ordering one. I have a baby due in January so I'm not sure I want to wait that long but the wagon actually looks cool for once. The wife and I have been sharing the car and I've heard they are going to announce wagon availability dates and pricing in January, with possible April deliveries. We've been a one car family since May of this year and I'm not sure how much longer I can wait :)

Does anyone have an MSport with Dynamic Handling (28 or 35) that could comment on the feel of driving it? I've driven an MSport without dynamic handling and thought it handled pretty well, but, I have never owned an SUV before.

The only things that bothered me were some of the noise from the run-flats and a strange wind noise at about 30-35mph that I heard when city driving.

#2 ·
I don't, yet, own an X3 but have the same opinion that from pictures I like the styling of the 3 series (F31) wagon vs. the X3. I came to the same conclusion when recently looking at the Audi Q5 vs. Allroad. However with the same level of equipment the Allroad was $3k USD higher. Not sure why but with more interior space the Q5, IMO, was a better value. I say this wondering if the same will be true of the BMW's.

With the upcoming F31/3-series wagon, the unknown is the release date, available equipment and pricing. I guess it depends on your situation and by extension timeline for needing a vehicle. If you can wait until more information is released on the wagon, it could work in your favor.

All things being equal in-terms of pricing, equipment, etc., I believe that I would go with the wagon. But the X3 is a great alternative.

#6 ·
I've driven the Q5 and could pick up a slightly used one for a good price. I prefer the X3 over the Q5 though. For me, the all-road is out of the question. I don't like the styling and IMO it's way overpriced. Can't believe they would ditch the A4 Avant for that!

#3 ·
I would go for the wagon if ED and MT are your bag...you can't have either with the x3. The touring model in the past has always been available to order as MT...hopefully bmw doesn't axe that one.

Other than that its a toss up and it really is a lifestyle preference (which will you feel better in). I will tell you this though, there will always be more x3s on the road than touring models as the take rate in the US has always been low.

#4 ·
With a baby due next month -- the X3 now is the best bet. You will need the increased cabin room for all the baby stuff -- amazing how much impedimentia the little folks need -- or Mom "says they need"!:rofl: Just be sure when you buy your infant seat it will fit in the back seat of the X3 -- most baby places will allow you to "fit the seat" before you buy. I hate to mention this -- but now your "911 days" are over, you will be looking at more practical transportation (dare I say it -- like MiniVans in the future) so hard riding sports suspensions (that make baby wake up) are verboten. In a few years you can get your "911" again while the wife drives the van.:rofl:

#26 ·
^ THIS!

If you're leaning over to the Audi, I can't help you. But I own a 2011 3-series sportswagon. Great car (wish it had the 35 engine)... but the X3 will give you more height and a larger "box" area in the rear which will come in very handy with all the baby stuff you WILL be hauling around! It also has more room in the rear seat - easier to get your baby seat in and out. I know this from experience. Don't wait - get all those great incentives right now and land your best deal on the X3. :thumbup:

Doug

#5 ·
I would go for the wagon. I've driven with the F25 and the F30 328i and while I came away impressed with the latter, the X3 just didn't seem particularly outstanding when I drove it in neither interior quality nor driving dynamics. Admittedly the 328i I drove was a manual transmission but the chassis and handling felt more solid and enjoyable in the bends. The X3 felt well.......just like "any other" luxury SUV on the market.

#13 ·
I couldn't disagree more with this statement. The X3 is my first SUV and I test drove at least 10 different SUV's while I was trying to decided what do get and X3 was completely different than any of the others I test. The handling and acceleration was far better than anything else.

#8 ·
I believe that the Audi X5 diesel is already being produced, and if not in dealer showrooms by now, should be in January.

And Audi has really "thrown down," having committed to diesels across the board (and pond), with multiple diesels coming to the US in 2013.

Hopefully BMW will do so as well, though, for the moment, it seems to have taken the Active Hybrid path.

Richard

#9 ·
Personally, I'd pick the wagon or an X1 over the X3. The new 3 wagon looks beautiful, and the X3's feel has just "grown" a bit bigger than what I'm looking for.

But......the new wagon in AWD will probably be priced slightly HIGHER than the X3, and my dealer says that while nothing is firm yet, the MT is "pretty unlikely".

#11 ·
The diesel option for the Q5 is still 1 year away. Current additions were the 3.0T replacing the 3.2 and a hybrid. The 3.0T is a great engine and is now just arriving in the states. But if I read it correctly, BMW will also be introducing their diesel engine to the X3 and 3-series wagon.

I don't own a Q5 but my wife has a A4 2.0T and we seriously considered the Q5. While there a many positives, we are leaning toward the X3 28i.

#12 ·
The diesel option for the Q5 is still 1 year away. Current additions were the 3.0T replacing the 3.2 and a hybrid. The 3.0T is a great engine and is now just arriving in the states. But if I read it correctly, BMW will also be introducing their diesel engine to the X3 and 3-series wagon.

I don't own a Q5 but my wife has a A4 2.0T and we seriously considered the Q5. While there a many positives, we are leaning toward the X3 28i.
Same here. I don't hate the Q5, I think it's a good car and it's been a good seller for Audi. That being said, I personally felt the X3 drove better. While the interior of the Audi is nice, the plastics look a bit cheap to me. The X3 interior is no amazing thing either, but I believe the fit and finish beats out the Audi.

The thing that attracted me initially to the Audi was it's looks and it's price point. They also don't make packages-galore like BMW does. They have a few simple packages. BMW bends you over for the 5 features you must have and separates them in to 5 packages.

#14 · (Edited)
FWIW I spent two days in a new Q5 2.0 service loaner while the wife's A4 was getting some maintentance work. I was very impressed with the car -- to the point that it immediately went on my "short list" for consideration when I dump my X3. Even the 2.0 had lots of power and I can only imagine how the 3.0TDI would be!:yikes: I liked everything about the car, including the ride over rough and nasty pavement -- one of my peeves with the X3. The interior looked luxo and appeared to be of well wearing materials. All in all in my personal view I found the Audi to be superior to the new X3 in all aspects except for engine performance. Hard to beat the BMW mill.:thumbup: But that alone would not keep me in a BMW, it is the rest of the stuff that I liked better.:angel: Oh yes, Audi offers a three year free full maintenance program too (at least at this dealer).

#15 ·
I have to say if you have driven the new X3 for any length of time, it rides NOTHING like the previous generation X3. Expansion joints, uneven pavement, potholes, etc are not a problem in the new X3. Drive the 35i for a few days and I think you will like what you see. I also think the Q5 is nice as well so you couldn't go wrong either way.

#21 ·
"do you have to pay for Audicare or is it free" -- well, nothing really is "free" -- you pay one way or another. BMW includes the cost -- Audi (or at least this dealer) uses it as a "sweetner" for the deal. Kind of like getting floormats from the salesperson.:rofl:

#22 ·
No currency issues to deal with

Several people have given great responses already and I envy your situation because you have 2 great vehicles to choose from. One additional factor you might consider is that the X3 is built in SC, not germany so BMW does not have to deal with the currency differences which probably accounts for some of the pricing difference between the wagon and the X3. BMW's profit margin should be much stronger on the X3. That said you may also be able to work a better deal with your dealer on the X3. We just picked up my wife's new X3 in Spartansburg and planned a short vacation around it. This is the 3rd BMW we have done this with and it's great.

#24 ·
Several people have given great responses already and I envy your situation because you have 2 great vehicles to choose from. One additional factor you might consider is that the X3 is built in SC, not germany so BMW does not have to deal with the currency differences which probably accounts for some of the pricing difference between the wagon and the X3. BMW's profit margin should be much stronger on the X3. That said you may also be able to work a better deal with your dealer on the X3. We just picked up my wife's new X3 in Spartansburg and planned a short vacation around it. This is the 3rd BMW we have done this with and it's great.
By Spartansburg, did you take-in the Performance Center Delivery (PCD)? If so, what is the adder for a non-M vehicle? This might be an interesting option should my wife opt for the X3.

#27 ·
This is a BMW forum board so of course thre's some bias. I will say that the Q5 has this funky cargo cover that's removable. It's poorly engineered because when you remove it it doesn't fit properly in the vehicle to be stored.

I do like the Q5- just like the X3 better.

#28 ·
Went ahead and ordered the X3! Couldn't wait for the wagon and I figure I would need the extra space.

Ordered:
X3 28i
Space Grey
Premium Package
Technology Package
M-Sport Package
Dynamic Handling Package
Convenience Package

I may have a chance to mod the configuration -- can anyone give me some quick feedback on BMW Apps? That's the only other thing I was considering.

#32 ·
Great choices! Space Gray is one of my favorite colors. The reason I recommend adding BMW Apps is that it's only $250 and it's a factory option. Even if you don't think you'll use it now you may wish you have it later.

#33 ·
With all due respect, you are nuts considering a BMW. This vehicle is a flash in the pan. You wont remember it. Go get a reliable Honda or ACURA that just goes and goes. Spend your time with your family and invest it in your child, not running to a dealer for maintenance of a fussy car. Put any money you save toward college. Get the Bimmer when they go to college. Sorry.... Mr reality check here.
None of us know one another's financial situation. Zerovector may be very financially sound so we shouldn't be making judgements like this of one another in my opinion.

ErnestHouse, I do think you've added a great deal to this forum and appreciate your commentaries- except for this one. ;)

#31 ·
The 35i is obviously the stronger performer out of the 2. But if you're not concerned with outright performance the 2.8i is a great choice. Regardless of whats stated these vehicles are at the head of their class, and present a great value against competitors, equally so against other BMW models..

This is my 12th BMW and I am not disappointed with the F25:thumbup::thumbup:

#39 ·
I did consider the 35i, but the N20 felt plenty strong for me. If there was a huge difference I definitely would have gone 35i. I guess an added bonus is some better gas mileage
Just to inject some facts....they 4 cylinder does NOT get better mileage in the X3 by any measurable amount over the 6. Remember it is has less power so it has to work harder to move all that mass and the X3 is NOT a lightweight.

I've been seeing reports of low 20's for MPG's on the 4 and I get a consistent 24-26 mpg on the 6 with a 40/60 split city/highway.

Sorry, there is a big difference in power between the two and for me the X3 is better suited to the larger engine. Sounds better, performance is up, and it is a proven long term runner for the company.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.