BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Reviving a flood damage E70

15K views 82 replies 29 participants last post by  NoI4plz 
#1 ·
2103 X5 which was flooded on the lot.
I have cleaned up inside after taking pretty much everything out and engine compartment. Replaced fluids, hand turned engine. Now the fun part of elctronics! I have replaced front and rear fuse panels. All the light on the dash light up when I put the key. The climate control, interior lights etc work. No power to command system, headlights, power seats, windows,doors, and engine. I also changed liftgate module which is working fine. where else shall I look for a major source of power distribution, before going to next step?
Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
Report it to the insurance company if you haven't done it already. The car is toast. I would not even bother with it. Speaking from experience (Sandy).

Unless you're buying this car flooded so you can somehow flip it for reuse or resale. Then you're talking major expenses before it comes back to life again.

#7 ·
If you are not already mechanically knowledgeable regarding BMWs, you are not going to be able to gather enough info on this site to tackle such a massive project. Electronics on these particular vehicles is NOT like the wiring in a 1970 Chevy pickup. As you can see... It's not worth it no matter what the cost of the vehicle was.

#9 ·
Everyone is quick to shoot you down... :(

I would try to find a shop manual ASAP and start tracing wiring from the battery, chase it until you lose power at a given control module or power block. Hopefully you still have the interior torn apart, or chasing wires isn't going to be fun.

I think you posted a while ago about taking on this project right? I'm sure you got a smoking deal on the car, considering the hours and $$$s you'll have to put in, but in the end if you can figure it out, you'll have a great experience and hopefully a decent ride.

Have you stumbled through RealOEM.com, might help you with troubleshooting.

Good Luck!!!!

Jay

#10 ·
That is the "easy" part. Then you start dealing with computers that malfunction b/c of residue on circuit boards, false sensor readouts, and a ton of other ghostly and difficult to isolate issues induced by water related damage. Simple wire integrity is not enough for this car that has more computers than a space shuttle onboard. Sincere good luck to the OP, but the advice to stay clear from such a project comes so loud for a reason.

#11 ·
In no way was my post meant to imply that it would be simple continuity testing.

I'm assuming if you find a module that is power in, no power out I would suggest replacing it, unless you are an electrical engineer and can pull it apart and diagnose the failure. Like I said, lots of $$$ and in the end you may end up replacing more then necessary, but like I said, I'm guessing he got a smoking deal.

My guess is, most of the "STAY AWAY" messages here are from folks that don't even do their own oil changes... just a guess. No offense meant to folks that value their time more then the dealer rate, but there are a band of folks that enjoy tinkering and the end is worth the journey.

He's asking an enthusiast forum for ideas... that's not out of the ordinary right? I've diagnosed lots of things using other peoples experience.

Jay

#13 ·
Of course. And it is his choice, I hope, not a necessity, as the cost of new modules (and what is worse - unpredictability of results) will quickly kill any super deal.

On the other hand, I think I would very much want to play with the 2103 model year X5, even flooded :p

#16 ·
You don't know what you're talking about. Most of us don't change our own oil. Hell, I don't know a single BMW owner that changes their own oil and I know a ton of BMW owners. Who changes their own oil nowadays? It's not even worth doing anything like that. Whoever can afford an X5 does not change their own oil.

You're telling an amateur (the OP) who has zero experience with BMW to revive a flooded BMW X5 with a ton of electrical components that sometimes even BMW dealers themselves have problems figuring them out? Why give the OP any hope? He's not asking how to change a bulb. I am telling you my X5 was flooded during Sandy and had similar symptoms as OP's car, so just out of curiosity I asked a few local shops if the car can be fixed and they all laughed at me and said they would not pay $50 for it, and they fix cars for a living.

#27 · (Edited)
You sir are an idiot...

I'd enlighten you as to why I do all my own maintenance and repair (out of warranty), its not because I can't afford to pay for it that's for sure, but you are not worth my time.

Kindly remove yourself from this and any other enthusiast thread.

Jay

#12 ·
Didn't you purchase a 535xi w/ x5

#14 ·
Now I remember this guy. Didn't this guy say that he's a doctor or something like that? It's been months since he's purchased these "great deals" as hobby projects and I see he's still nowhere with this project.

Sorry to repeat it again and to disappoint the OP but no matter how much time you spend on these cars, the cost and problems will be, like someone here said, "astronomical".

#15 ·
Don't listen to anyone here. I have restored 3 bmws after flooding.
First you need inpa and find out which modules are not responding.
Usually most of the problems sit in the glovebox compartment and everything on the floor, under floor carpet.
My advice:
Remove everything inside and inspect every module with inpa, also wash it with wd40 at least or some other water removal fluids.
I restored e65 in 2005, the car was 2002, believe it or not but it's still running fine.

#17 ·
That "OP" has custom built motorcycles, changed timing belts, painted cars etc. has fully equipped 5 car garage to work with most of the tools. If I asked for an advice regarding electronics which I am not familiar with(at this point) why did everyone start a debate? Changing your own oil etc is your business as is mine buying two flooded cars. If I were trying to sell it here then you were right with your two cents.
If you think you have nothing to add with respect to the topic just read and move on!!
BTW I had a lot if people warming me when I started buying high end properties at court(you never know what kinda problems you are getting into, damage done by people, six figure investment getting stuck in something you have not see etc etc). After making millions in five years no one days anything!!
Now I will be advised in that case you can afford to buy new cars!!

#21 · (Edited)
katana-

I was wondering when you'd come back...

for those that missed it: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666189 Read the whole thing.

Now, I have deep doubts you will be successful. I think you will get it running, but will have issues until you dump it. But, I love the idea that someone that has no clue will attempt this-

I really have no suggestions other than gaining access to schematics and BMW programming tools and snooping around the car to find bad modules. Also, did you check every fusable link? Do you have the schematics? Sometimes there are major fuses NOT in the fuse panel.

To everyone else- be dicks and he will go away, and we'll never know what happens!

A

#22 ·
Encouraging OP to keep with the updates. I love these sorts of rebuild/restoration efforts (my uncle rebuilt an old 67' SL Merc from the ground up and it was a sweet ride) so know the efforts and joys that will come from getting it fully restored.

katanaplanet, do you have pics while you are doing this? It would make an epic thread.

#23 ·
I have pics of cars submerged in water, stuck in park on the truck, slowly all the stuff coming out etc. IF I am successful I will do a write up. I have learned a lot from forums (Land Rover, Mercedes, Lexus, Harley etc), and to some extent tried to contribute too. Never had so many people look down, make fun. Grow up guys!! The point you are trying to make is a pretty obvious one.
As far as the car is concerned its not as bad as you guys are making it. Engine is perfect. Exterior is new. Interior is pretty much back to original.
I have replaced some of the modules. Rest I will attempt one by one. If in the end I am unsuccessful its not end of the world.

#25 ·
If in the end I am unsuccessful its not end of the world.
Good luck, you have a difficult task ahead for many reasons, once of which is how zealously BMW guards it's technical data, claiming it is all proprietary. They are one of the few, perhaps only, manuacturers which will not do a deal with alldata to sell technical data to repair shops and individuals.

As mentioned by others earlier, your task will be much easier if you can obtain the ability to read BMW codes and diagnostics via the OBD-II port. I believe there are some after-market programs/cables that can provide this capability.

#26 ·
Water and electronics dont mix... You might get it running now, but over time rust will spread within electrical components and start causing issues all over the place (with a possibility of electrical fire!). So theoretically yes it is possible, practically you need to replace every single electrical component, including insulated ones.

Take it from a person who was involved (directly and indirectly) in post-Sandy recovery efforts...

#28 ·
Looks like most are missing the point, from his comments sound like this is his thing. Everyone has their "thing" so this maybe therapeutic for him or has nothing else to do with his time etc, etc....money was meant to be spend and if this is his crack well..go it for it man! GL put pics up when you get a chance. Subscribed!

#29 ·
I change my oil even when its covered under 4 year warranty because I know what most of them do.
If I have to take a mercedes for oil change, fill out all paperwork, sit or take a loaner and politely refuse brake pad change, etc, I can do it in 5 minutes with mityvac without even taking my tie off.

#33 ·
Tribecax5 he is at least contributing to this thread. I read all your posts, they sure don't reflect much age related maturity except repeating same thing over and over. Stick around and keep doing it. If I fail you can stand on tallest building in town and scream "see I told you guys". World is full of such individuals. Some people don't do crazy things some do provided its crazy enough!!

#65 ·
Actually, I wish you best of luck to you and would never want you to fail and I hope you make the car work. I will applaud you when you finish. All I said is that it's an impossible task in my opinion based on the experience with my car which was flooded. I asked people who do this for a living and they all shut me down. And when I say impossible, I mean in terms of the cost and access to BMW sources, programming etc. I am sure if you spent a ton of money you will get it to work.

Point is, is it really worth it?

#44 ·
: popcorn:

#35 ·
@ katanaplanet - good for you and the best of luck on your project. BTW, I change my own oil in between their oil changes too....unless someone is following their UOA very closely, they are potentially making a BIG mistake running their oil out as long as BMW allows.

@ tribecaX5 - I was going to say something about NOT changing your own oil along with the rest of your "crowd" that don't but I see you're from NY so anything anybody tries to tell you is not going to sink in. For you, I say you need a very large cup of STFU. It's like the old saying goes....anybody can fix cars, but nobody can fix stupid....you proved this point with your immature replies. People like you make me sick and it's people like you that give forums a bad reputation. I find it interesting that at 114 posts, you have an opinion that you think actually matters. You should keep your "random thoughts" to yourself.....better yet, sell your X and join the Maxima crowd....you ain't worthy of a BMW!

Oh yeah, offer several others a sip from your cup....alexmish, gresch, and anyone else on the naysayer train....it's HIS project and if you don't have any words of encouragement for him, then......um, you know what I was going to say!

Back off so I can get back down from my rant box!

#38 ·
Sounds like a fun project for somebody who's into that sort of thing. Keep us posted on the progress!

BTW, I'm kind of surprised it cost 15k. I would've thought much cheaper, but then you could probably part it out for that much I suppose.

#40 ·
I think that's the point. If the project doesn't prove fruitful, he's got a boat load of parts that he can sell on eBay to recover his costs from. He'll also have learned quite a bit of the involved work on restoring a flooded car. The exterior and engine was in good shape so there's a lot of pretty pricey exterior parts that a shop can use.

And a doctor working on cars is a cool thing. I have an Audi as well and a cardiac surgeon enthusiast in our local group does his own work (aftermarket parts install, oil changes, minor engine work) just because it's relaxing. :thumbup:

#39 ·
you are correct UncleJ and I apologize for that remark and the remark about New Yorkers....there's only a few that I have a problem with....the rest are great!

C'mon back tribecaX5....let's hear some more.

As a wise man once said; "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it". That said, let's have some proof tribby!

@ katanaplanet - you go guy....keep us posted and you DO have supporters in here!

#43 ·
Anything is possible, as I have mentioned in the other thread you had originally posted. INPA is a hit & miss situation. Since these are systems that rely on continuity of the system architecture, INPA may indicate which modules are working and which are not. However I feel like you`ll be left with the INPA either indicating alot of faulty modules (regardless of whether they are actually done for or not) since there gonna be a communications breakdown.

Whats the status, on acquiring some BMW terminal time for the X5?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.