BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How many miles on your transmission before repairs or replacement needed?

• 50,000 to 100,000...transmission repaired/replaced.

Votes: 175 7.6%
  • 50,000 to 100,000...no problems!!!

Votes: 678 29.5%
  • 100,001 to 125,000...transmission repaired/replaced.

Votes: 125 5.4%
  • 100,001 to 125,000...no problems!!!

Votes: 393 17.1%
  • 125,001 to 150,000...transmission repaired/replaced.

Votes: 104 4.5%
  • 125,001 to 150,000...no problems!!!

Votes: 294 12.8%
  • 150,001 to 175,000 or more...tranny repaired/replaced.

Votes: 80 3.5%
  • 150,001 to 175,000 or more...no problems!!!

Votes: 448 19.5%

How many miles on AUTOMATIC transmission before failure? (or no problems at all?)

559K views 909 replies 492 participants last post by  ashjab 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm just curious on how many miles your car has been driven with or without an automatic transmission failure. If your transimission failed, do you think you maintained it properly before failure?

The poll will give some interesting info, but your comments about your particular situation are welcome.

Thanks for looking. :)

Edit: KrisL: Also, please reply to this thread stating your model year: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331801

#42 ·
Sorry about that. I misread your post.

You spent 4 months huh? You are pretty patient.
Did you really think that you might have a case?
BMW just does NOT give a crap about what happened to their cars after the warranty period is over.
They are so fool of themselves that they do not need you, me or few others. There are enough people buying their products whether those products have issues or not. So this is their logic.

#43 ·
Tranny Poblems

I have 99 328i and the tranny went out at 98K. If anyone has there tranny go out theres this sweet place based out of Georgia that sells remanufactured tranny's with no core charge for around $1800, plus 200 for shipping. It will cost you around 500 to have transmission place install and then you can sell your old tranny case to recoupe some of your money

#801 ·
I have 99 328i and the tranny went out at 98K. If anyone has there tranny go out theres this sweet place based out of Georgia that sells remanufactured tranny's with no core charge for around $1800, plus 200 for shipping. It will cost you around 500 to have transmission place install and then you can sell your old tranny case to recoupe some of your money
I'm in GA...where and what's the name of the shop

05 X3 175k

#45 ·
WOW 250 and still running fine... that is awsome!

mine however has a problem. it is minor for now but will incrise as i drive.

3rd gear is worn down i belive, every time the car ****s down from 4th to 3rd the rpm go up and the nose dips a bit and the car slows down quite a bit.. not sure if there is much i can do about it, but it just started happening at 158k

#46 ·
tranny trouble

At about 125,000 I lost reverse. This I later tearned to be a common problem with the ZF 5HP19 (steptronic transmission) My local tranny guy said it would cost about 2500.00 to repair. The problem being a broken reverse band. BMW doesnt repair the problem but they will replace the transmission for around 6000.00. I can buy another 2000 BMW 323i with reverse and comparable mileage to mine for......about 6000.00 I still like my car but Im afraid I have to say I no longer love it.

#59 ·
At about 125,000 I lost reverse. This I later tearned to be a common problem with the ZF 5HP19 (steptronic transmission) My local tranny guy said it would cost about 2500.00 to repair. The problem being a broken reverse band. BMW doesnt repair the problem but they will replace the transmission for around 6000.00. I can buy another 2000 BMW 323i with reverse and comparable mileage to mine for......about 6000.00 I still like my car but Im afraid I have to say I no longer love it.
Everything I have read on here indicates its the GM transmissions that have the "no reverse" problem. How many had this problem on the ZF? Where is a link to the ZF no reverse issue?

My 2002 330i actually says to change the fluid at 100k in the owners manual.

I just did it at 95k, the fluid was not that bad but wish I had done it at 60-70k since these things are like gold, not easily repaired etc.

#48 ·
My car now has 74K miles on it. Not sure what to put down on the poll. I've had no issues with the tranny during normal/spirited driving. My only issue came after an autocross (kinda warm day). It was fine during the autocross, but immediately after, when accelerating from a stop, it wouldn't shift out of first. It'd just wind up and as I crept forward, would eventually shift after quite a long time. After the car cooled down, everything was working normally again.

Not to take any chances, I did a fluid, filter, and gasket change. That was about two weeks ago. The fluid that came out is by far the worse looking fluid of any kind that I've seen come out of a car. Car ran great at the last autocross (last week). I'm going to change the fluid/filter in a week or two, just to make sure all the old crappy fluid is out and replaced with new OEM fluid (Texaco ETL 8072B for my GM tranny). After that, I'll probably change it every two years.

So ya, I haven't really had a problem, and probably wouldn't have had any minor issues if I hadn't been autocrossing with it.

#49 ·
I'd say that puts you in the category of not having a failure. You're still working with your original tranny and without having a repair.

#52 ·
When I bought my car, the transmission pan was dented, so I changed it and changed the fluid & filter as well. That was around 40K. The fluid was clean, and had a nice color. The car has 50K now and no problems so far. I hope it will be at least past 100K if I need any repairs.

BTW, changing clutch is not much cheaper either.

#54 ·
Auto Trans Fluid Change

I bought an '04 325xiT auto with 38,000 miles on it. I don't follow BMW's maintenance schedule, so one of my first mods was get the ATF changed. I use AMSOIL synthetics exclusively, and the AMSOIL ATF product meets all of BMW's auto trans fluid specs. I plan to change this fluid at 50k intervals. I also changed gear lube in both differentials with 75W-90 Severe Gear. AMSOIL makes many engine oils that work great - I like the 5W-40 European Formula and Signature Series 0W-30 at 7500 mile intervals. Oil is good for longer, but filter is not, IMHO.

#66 ·
I bought an '04 325xiT auto with 38,000 miles on it. I don't follow BMW's maintenance schedule, so one of my first mods was get the ATF changed. I use AMSOIL synthetics exclusively, and the AMSOIL ATF product meets all of BMW's auto trans fluid specs. I plan to change this fluid at 50k intervals. I also changed gear lube in both differentials with 75W-90 Severe Gear. AMSOIL makes many engine oils that work great - I like the 5W-40 European Formula and Signature Series 0W-30 at 7500 mile intervals. Oil is good for longer, but filter is not, IMHO.
You sound like my kinda maint. guy. I do everything twice as often as recommended on all my vehicles. But I am still torn about messing with my step. tranny. I have 77k miles and it's still under warranty for another 10.5 months. What to do?

#58 · (Edited)
We're getting a good response on this poll so far...thanks to everyone who has taken the time to participate in the poll or write about their experiences.

To date, 78.15% of responders have had no problems with their automatic transmissions from 0-175,000 miles. I don't know if that's really a number we should be happy with or not, but it is a lot better than I had thought it could be after reading about the problems associated with this transmission.

Hopefully the poll will continue to have good participation and we can read about more experiences with this tranny.

Thanks to the moderators for making this poll a sticky!

#61 ·
hello to every one. I just bought a 320i 2001 and i have problem with RPM its not stable it moves up and down at certain speed 40 - 50 and 75-100 and there is a noise with viberation from the back of the car when ever the RMP start moving up and down that noise accurs.i took to BMW dealer they said its the software .they upgrade the computer software. but didnt help. they are telling me all kind of problem but they are not sure what is the reall problem . they say its the tranny but they are not sure.i took to another garage they say its the low load. and they dont know what couses the low load. its seems to be very unique problem no body ever had that problem .i need help on this. pls let me know if you ever had such problem thanks

#68 ·
Transmission '02 330ci

I drove the wonderful coupe delivered Spartenberg for 50K miles and became deranged when for like 4th time lacing on left door jamb fell off and about strangled me. Walked in to an Acura dealer and picked up a new TSX.07 loaded. Don't use it much due to many illnesses so it only reads about 9K at this time. Acura a fine car but not like the BMW. I purchased new a 1997 528, prior to the '02. The difference as I can best explain it is: You wear a BMW and drive an Acura. The BMW becomes a part of you. So while Acura never needs anything so far but one oil service for about 28 bucks, the BMW may cost more and give some agravation but at this point I would accept the agravation if I could get the BMW back. The way I look at it today is, I could have saved the 13K swap deal and had new shicks and later model suspension to give a better ride, redo the seat for comfort and still have a BMW. Lots of pro's and con's on the 2 models and if you are interested to know what they are, I will gladly answer. No flames please, as I paid for my dumb over rule of Intellect and judgement. Forgive mispelling or errors on this as I am undergoing process of Cataract stuff so am still half blind.:cry: No transmission or major mechanical problems.

#69 ·
My 2001 330i ZF step. w/124k miles shifted perfectly until the engine was pulled for a "sludge" problem....They didn't change the fluid, but right after the repair, when it shifted it felt like you were being hit by a truck. I thought they might have clogged up the valve body with 124k miles worth of sludge, so I had a pan drop & filter w/the correct Esso fluid... the old fluid looked like old burnt engine oil... no improvement... So the transmission was rebuilt, upgraded to current BMW spec's and a new torque converter.... The re-builder said it had a "patch rebuild" some time previously, and supposedly that is common when they are "repaired" under warranty. So I do not know when it originally failed. It may just be me, but it still doesn't feel 100% as good as it did before, but it does have a 2 year 24k mile warranty so I guess we will see.... Tranny rebuilds are one of the few things I don't do myself.... too many little parts to lose :)

As to transmission problems and BMW veres Toyota reliablity.... I've driven BMWs since the 2002 models in the mid 70's... own 4 of them currently.... Toyotas are not perfect, like any car they do break, but Toyotas on the whole are much more reliable.. Consumer reports rates Toyota/Lexus as number 1 in reliablity BMW as #19 out of 39.... you'll probably not guess number 39.... :)

#71 ·
Tranny Issues? Nope!

I have 119,000 on my 2000 328i. It still changes fine, but feels like it hesitates as it shifts into reverse or drive, when just starting out. I wonder if changing the original fluid out would help with that issue, or if it might just stop pulling at all?

Any thoughts?

jer