BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Has the horrible sunroof cover 'clip design' been fixed on the E90?

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Quark 
#1 ·
My E46 just went in for the third time for this problem...cover come off tracks...and I baby this thing because I know the design is terrible!

#2 ·
greginaz1 said:
My E46 just went in for the third time for this problem...cover come off tracks...and I baby this thing because I know the design is terrible!
I'm taking mine in for the second time next week. I don't get it, I had my '99 for over five years and never had a problem with the sun roof shade. I haven't had this car a year yet and it's broken twice.

#3 ·
apar330i said:
I'm taking mine in for the second time next week. I don't get it, I had my '99 for over five years and never had a problem with the sun roof shade. I haven't had this car a year yet and it's broken twice.
Hey Adam, yeah and the thing that p*sses me off the most is the SA's look at me like I am mishandling it! I treat my car with kid gloves, the cover broke the first two times when I pushed the button to retract it! In fact this last time it was broke at the dealership when they cleaned the interior of the sunroof glass and were a little rough on it.

I hate getting that condescending look indicating I don't know how to 'handle' it when the design can't take normal use... :tsk:

#4 ·
greginaz1 said:
Hey Adam, yeah and the thing that p*sses me off the most is the SA's look at me like I am mishandling it! I treat my car with kid gloves, the cover broke the first two times when I pushed the button to retract it! In fact this last time it was broke at the dealership when they cleaned the interior of the sunroof glass and were a little rough on it.

I hate getting that condescending look indicating I don't know how to 'handle' it when the design can't take normal use... :tsk:
Yo Greg. My SA hasn't given me that look - yet. I take mine to Chapman on Camelback and so far they have treated me great. I think the shade is a poorly designed POS. I've probably opened the sun roof less than a dozen times since I've owned the car. So it's not breaking from excessive use. The first time it broke I'd had car just over two weeks. Part of it fell out and hit me on the shoulder. As many people that have had them worked on you'd think they would have fixed it over the lifespan of the E46.

#5 ·
I took my CPO 99' 328i to Assel BMW in Arcadia before I reached the 100k mile warranty and they told me that the warranty didn't cover the headliner which they said included the sun shade. I thought that was BS because it should be part of the sunroof. So I pulled the sunshade off and haven't installed it since. Bin about 8 months now. Should have tried another dealership, now I'm screwed because it's out of warranty. So Cal sun is brutal, if I could just by the guides I could fix it in 10 min.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.