BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Anyone have a GSM CPT9000 they don't want anymore?

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  bimmer7 
#1 ·
I'm stuck with a TDMA CPT9000, and also stuck with a contract on a GSM service provider. . BMW isn't much help, and I've even bought a GSM v60 in Hong Kong and am on the verge of attempting to flash the thing with the Aston Martin firmware to see if perchance they use the same control protocols.

In other words, I'd really like to get some type of phone working in my 745li (preferably a non-Verizon phone, but that's my last ditch effort to get another contract.)

So, if anyone out there has a BMW 745 they are getting ready to trade in, or perhaps converted to CDMA from GSM, maybe we could work out something. The GSM phone is the type with a little "card" plugged into the back underneath the battery and is used with either Cingular or T-Mobile if you need to check.

Obligatory, repetitious rant about BMW not supporting their most expensive vehicle line and leaving all us in the lurch on the phone issue. . if I can crack how to flash the v60 GSM phone to work on the Beemer I'd love to share, but as of yet no dice.

Thanks and regards. .

#3 ·
The CPT9000 is the phone used in the pre-bluetooth 745s and other models which is really a Motorola v60. It plugs into the dock in the center console and communicates directly with the car over the plug in the base of the phone. BMW offered a TDMA version (which can no longer be activated after Cingular bought AT&T wireless and is decomissioning the towers) and a CDMA version (for Verizon, of which any newerish Verizon v60 will work with iDrive) and a GSM version that was not carrier specific.

I really wish I had bluetooth, but the retrofit is seriously overpriced. So, I'm left with trying to find an old GSM phone. The part number for the phone in question is 84 11 0 308 472.

#6 ·
nexus9 said:
The CPT9000 is the phone used in the pre-bluetooth 745s and other models which is really a Motorola v60. It plugs into the dock in the center console and communicates directly with the car over the plug in the base of the phone. BMW offered a TDMA version (which can no longer be activated after Cingular bought AT&T wireless and is decomissioning the towers) and a CDMA version (for Verizon, of which any newerish Verizon v60 will work with iDrive) and a GSM version that was not carrier specific.

I really wish I had bluetooth, but the retrofit is seriously overpriced. So, I'm left with trying to find an old GSM phone. The part number for the phone in question is 84 11 0 308 472.
So can any E65/66 have that CPT9000 working or only certain production date models between '02 - '05 are compatible with this particular phone? Is this true only for US or Canada as well?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.